Sex offenders being involved with drum corps

How 'recently' are you thinking Ron? When DCA changed the name? Because I joined Hurcs for the '91 season and there were high school students in the cirps then. Nowhere near the amount now, but the name 'Senior Corps' in the true sense wasn't applicable then. And as you can see, that was 20+ years ago. I know of other corps, Sky, Sun and probably others that can say the same

in 1967 i joined cru. it was a SENIOR corps. DCA was a senior organization. i was 14 years old. i looked 18. so we had young people back then. but most were 21 or older. just sayin.............

Aren't there other topics to discuss that are MORE important than this? Has anyone in a DCA corps been charged with a crime? FACTS!!!! JUST THE FACTS!!!!

Even if there are other topics to discuss, there isn't a limit to the number of topics that can be discussed on DCP. So...

If I was someone who was sexually abused, (and I thank God that never happened to me), I would quite possibly think that there aren't more important topics to discuss. It's either a topic to discuss because there are registered offenders in the activity or it's a topic to be discussed because there aren't; and in that case, how do we keep it that way?

As for anyone working with a corps being charged with a crime...if there are no registered sex offenders, then no one involved has been charged with a crime, (unless they've failed to register). However, if there is someone...I don't think it's possible to be required to sign up on the registry if one hasn't been charged with a crime. People on the registry have been charged with something, whether they're actually guilty or not. (I can't imagine a worse feeling than someone knowing they're innocent and being charged with something so heinous.)

Drum corps is a microcosm of society. However, there are typically controls set up to help keep it a microcosm of the best that society has to offer.

DCA, up until recently, was a Senior drum corps organization.

If some corps fairly recently decided they want to allow members under 21 (the rule in the old days) - why is it DCA's responsibility to monitor these corps for anything?

The corps who decided to allow younger members have the responsibility to "police" their members and staffs.

Depends on the corps Ron, 70s corps like Cabs and Sky were over 21 because they could get age outs from the bunch of Jr corps in the area. Info from a Hawthorne Muchacho I talked to in 1975 (yeah day after DCI). Doubt if any RCA corps were all over 21 as they needed the warm bodies. I know Pitts Rockets had at least one teenager ca 1970 (family member) and Westshore opened up 1974 to be able to get on the field.

The only "control" they have is at their Championships (proof of Music Rights et al).

And all a corps needs to do to compete at Prelims is show the Music Rights, pay their Entry Fee and show up at the scheduled time.

*Everything* else is the individual corps' responsibility.

Again, am I missing something here?

Also control in number of bodies in the corps (35 or more) and that's to compete at any DCA show IIRC. Plus new corps have to prove they are financially solvent.

You can look at it one way, I can look at it another but that means squat if it goes to court. And I can "massage" the three controls we listed as being money related (I'm pretending I'm a lawyer on retainer prosecuting DCA). And safety for members is not money related (until the lawsuit anyway) so it can be presented as DCA thinks money is important but not members safety.

How 'recently' are you thinking Ron? When DCA changed the name? Because I joined Hurcs for the '91 season and there were high school students in the cirps then. Nowhere near the amount now, but the name 'Senior Corps' in the true sense wasn't applicable then. And as you can see, that was 20+ years ago. I know of other corps, Sky, Sun and probably others that can say the same

I know, I joined a "senior" corps in the fall of 1964 when I was 15. "Youngsters" were the exception rather than the rule back then.

My "recently" reference was in a Historical Sense - just like Historically any corps competing at the American Legion Nats had to have 100% Veterans in the ranks.

(Reilly was DQ'd at the '53 AL Nats - even though they won - because of non-Veterans. 1957 was "worse" when Reilly, Archie and Harvey Seeds were all DQ'd for not declaring non-veterans; other corps were DQ'd as far back as 1933.)

The point is that if a corps allows younger members, it's up to the corps (not DCA) to monitor things...

Edited by Diceman

Maybe I'm missing here:

DCA, up until recently, was a Senior drum corps organization.

If some corps fairly recently decided they want to allow members under 21 (the rule in the old days) - why is it DCA's responsibility to monitor these corps for anything?

Recently? Are you serious? You must have a really strange definition of "recently". Not to mention, when, exactly did DCA even have an "over 21 only" rule?

This is 2012. The "old days" are long gone, my friend. DCA has a responsibility to ensure it's member and participating corps are doing the right thing. If that means proposing and passing a rule to enforce background checks, I'm all for it. I want the competitive drum corps activity to survive for a long, long time.

• Like 1

The point is that if a corps allows younger members, it's up to the corps (not DCA) to monitor things...

Agree with corps monitoring if for no other reason DCA doesn't have the resources.

BUT:

1) What should happen if a corps does NOT monitor things and is caught? And I'm talking knowingly closing their eyes.

2) How would DCA know the eyes are closed until the crap hits the fan? After that it's damage control at best.... Edit: Better way to put it, How would DCA know that the monitoring is being done?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

in 1967 i joined cru. it was a SENIOR corps. DCA was a senior organization. i was 14 years old. i looked 18. so we had young people back then. but most were 21 or older. just sayin.............

A good piece of Garfield's drumline moved to the Cabs after the 71 season when our instructor George Tuthill was let go (he also taught the Cabs at the time)...none even close to 21.

Would you consider 1967 to actually be recent??? Because I certainly don't consider that I was born recently....just sayin...

Recently? Are you serious? You must have a really strange definition of "recently". Not to mention, when, exactly did DCA even have an "over 21 only" rule?

This is 2012. The "old days" are long gone, my friend. DCA has a responsibility to ensure it's member and participating corps are doing the right thing. If that means proposing and passing a rule to enforce background checks, I'm all for it. I want the competitive drum corps activity to survive for a long, long time.

I hear ya, John.

I don't think DCA, as an organization, has ever had an "over 21 only" rule. If I'm wrong about that, someone can come on here and correct me.

I was 18 when I joined the Sunrisers for the 1977 season. There were a number of people in the corps that year that also were under 21. We had our share of members in their 20s, 30s and so forth... but also our share of under-21 folks.

"Kids and girls" was the nickname used to describe us, by at least one of our rivals. It was meant as a disparaging nickname... but we kinda took it as a compliment. (We were strange that way. LOL.)

Competitively, I think we did OK for a bunch of kids and girls. :rolleyes:

Would you consider 1967 to actually be recent??? Because I certainly don't consider that I was born recently....just sayin...

I was riding a tricycle with a batmobile liscence plate in 1967, watching the Batman show and Thunderbirds are Go!.... :satisfied:

When I joined Westshore in 1979... more recent, but still... awhile ago... I had just turned 16. When my sister joined in 1981, she'd just turned 16 as well. Jim is very, very right right- we had a lot of pretty young folks filling out our corps at that time. One of the prime recruiting grounds for the corps was the very active ToB and Cavalcade circuits at the time. Granted we were kids, but we had half an idea of judging, competing, and that high expectations were there and we had to work hard.

Young folks have been in DCA longer than some think. When I talk to the members at Reading, I feel like I'm looking into a mirror from the past in that way. Brings back a lot of good memories.