Save the Glassmen

"We need to raise the $300,000 before the end of the year, preferably by Thanksgiving, to ensure the corps can get from auditions weekend to the post-season banquet and home again."

Seems to me that if an organization is in such debt, why would they not suspend the pot-season banquet to save money?

the members might fund all of the banquet... when I marched I think the tickets were like $75/person, at least.

But to me, the biggest rule change that would affect lower placing corps is the scale up from 128 to 150 members. Top corps have the revenue stream to handle such a change (e.g., infrastructure, more mouths to feed, perhaps more instructional talent), and the interest of potential members to do so. Of course, the incredible benefit is that many more folks get the experience of marching (since apparently many say "Corps X or bust!" I see the membership total as being the most costly.

I seem to recall that the move from 128 to 150 was mostly to fill the empty seats in the 53/56 pax coaches that everyone leased. Filling those empty seats should result in an increase on the income side. Those extra 22 kids should not really generate expenses that aren't offset by the increased fees collected.

I can certainly understand the competitive disadvantage in marching a less-than-full corps but I'm not sure I see the financial disadvantage UNLESS corps are letting kids march for nothing just to fill the corps.

Electronics and amps are marginal expenses in the long run.

Lots of smaller expenses add up to be....expensive. Ask a financial analyst...they will tell you in most cases, people go in to debt because of excessive 20, 50 and 100 dollar purchases....not because of big ticket (big dollar) purchases.....

Since fuel is the biggest cost, maybe the number and/or location of shows could be condensed where the shows are only on Thursdays-Sundays in areas of dense population within a region (like they do after Minneapolis), then the corps move on to another region (like locusts but with better music)...just an idea.

The whole current touring model needs a comprehensive review.....

Edited by Triple Forte

I now I personally appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. But can we at least TRY and have a decent conversation on dcp that doesn't get into our own personal thoughts and agendas. A fine drum corps is asking for help.

And as far as "electronic costs" and all that, that's not really part of this equation or is very minimally. They've had their electronics through their sponsor Dynasty since they've had electronics. That's not what has caused this.

I really don't want to belabor this. But how do you know my reference was snarky? I don't get it.

The term "1%" has recently morphed from political to apolitical. HockeyDad thought you meant it politically, but you didn't, so everything is good. smile.gif

And I agree, one wealthy person isn't going to do it. But a wealthy person has wealthy friends. And often a wealthy person has some visibility.

An aside (significant aside)... Does DCI try to pursue highly famous artists to endorse the activity? I see someone like, say, Lady Gaga would be juiced about a corps playing her music at a high level and juiced about kids being moved by such a performance to pursue music education.

There have certainly been celebrities and wealthy people associated with the activity over the years. I'm sure DCI does try to get celebrity involvement. But, like commercial/media marketing, it's not their core competency.

Perhaps I'm misreading the Facebook post and what's been reported here, but it sounds as if the corps has borrowed money in the past, does not want to continue doing so in the future, and wants to repay the debt. That's not exactly the wolf at the door or the repo man getting ready to take away the busses. It simply means that the corps wants to run debt free.

There are also some claiming DCI is at fault. Decisions of DCI are made by member corps, and Glassmen have been voting members for a while. Unless the Glassmen have been the sole voice against current tours and what is needed to be competitive, for good or for bad, Glassmen would be part of the reason why competition is what it is today.

If Glassmen raise the funds and the corps is able to have a successful and fiscally sound year, we'll all see this announcement as the reason fiscal transparency is critical for success. My hope is that this will be the case and judging from the reputation of the Glassmen, it may very well be the case.