More Licensing Issues

While we're on the subject of chopped/altered recordings, I was watching the Fan Network and, if I'm correct, the trumpet solo for Carolina Crown at finals this year (at 3:57) is NOT the same version as the solo that was performed that night. Does anyone agree?

I agree and it's annoying as heck that they do this repeatedly.

Last year the DVDs had Juliet not stabbing herself (from the semis or prelims) in the finals multi angle camera version.

• Like 1

While we're on the subject of chopped/altered recordings, I was watching the Fan Network and, if I'm correct, the trumpet solo for Carolina Crown at finals this year (at 3:57) is NOT the same version as the solo that was performed that night. Does anyone agree?

From ashevillemurphy:

"I agree and it's annoying as heck that they do this repeatedly.

Last year the DVDs had Juliet not stabbing herself (from the semis or prelims) in the finals multi angle camera version."

Thanks for your reply. That confirms what I thought. Don't you think that there should be a disclaimer if they take recordings from other shows and represent them as "finals performances"? (To the credit of DCI, they did mention the Juliet stabbing edit on a POD CAST. I don't recall there being any mention elsewhere). It may be nit-picky, but for the integrity of recording, shouldn't there be a more formal disclaimer?

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2

...(To the credit of DCI, they did mention the Juliet stabbing edit on a POD CAST. I don't recall there being any mention elsewhere)...

I don't think I listened to that one. What was the reason given why it was switched?

• Like 1

I don't think I listened to that one. What was the reason given why it was switched?

DCI's camera crew captured the stab from the back and it looked awful (you could tell that it was fake). You could "see behind the scenes" rather than have the dramatic moment they wanted.

• Like 2

DCI's camera crew captured the stab from the back and it looked awful (you could tell that it was fake). You could "see behind the scenes" rather than have the dramatic moment they wanted.

Why did someone -1 you for this?

I would ask why they couldn't substitute with the pressbox angle instead of having to use a different night? I suspect they thought the stabbing was unwholesome, in the age of heightened awareness of teen suicide. This is fine, but the failure to inform the customer is not.

We have to remember that there seems to be a statement made by the corps/DCI that the fans are only there to support the activity. They are not entitled to even be informed about things, let alone have a voice.

To some extent I agree with this. I oppose rule changes designed merely to appease the fans (in all sports).

But here we're talking about paying customers and the product they are buying compared to what was advertised. In that context, the fan deserves the same rights they would get with any other product. It goes along with the policy of advertising full finals performances while actually having fairly compelling evidence that the product delivered will be neither full nor necessarily even finals. They only inform the customer to the extent that they absolutely have to.

By evidence, what I mean is this: they must know during the season that they are having problems acquiring the synch rights to some content. Yet in the pre-order they promise what they know they will probably not be able to deliver. The only explanation is that they actually don't care much (Mike Boo notwithstanding).

• Like 3

I would ask why they couldn't substitute with the pressbox angle instead of having to use a different night? I suspect they thought the stabbing was unwholesome, in the age of heightened awareness of teen suicide.

Maybe a corps should do a Heathers show.

• Like 1

I got really busy at work and had not looked at the Fan Network for awhile. I logged on and WTF.... not again. Someone needs to be embarrassed. So instead of thinking about what new gadgets and props to allow they need to get this basic problem solved.

It's time to put the foot down.

1. If you dont have the rights to alter someone else's original creation then don't use it!!!!

I can just imagine an artist that works hard and gives their passion to making something creative and original just to have someone they have never even heard of chop it to pieces.

2. If DCI can make sure that no one over 21 years old is on the field then surely they can devise a system to make sure that no unlicensed music is performed at their shows.

Edited by bluesman

By evidence, what I mean is this: they must know during the season that they are having problems acquiring the synch rights to some content. Yet in the pre-order they promise what they know they will probably not be able to deliver. The only explanation is that they actually don't care much (Mike Boo notwithstanding).

I'm speculating here, since I don't work in the office and typically only know about such things when I inquire about them; but I know from past years that every effort was made to get certain rights up until the very last moment when DCI had to go ahead and produce the DVDs. I know there have been many instances where the securing of the rights were seemingly pulled out of the hat just before going to the pressing of the discs. I was sweating a couple cases I knew about that would have required me to rewrite the program notes, and there was honestly nothing I could have written that would have soothed any ill feelings out there, including mine. Oh, the stories I wish I could tell.

I do believe others care as much as I do about this, but unfortunately for them, they're pressed into the unenviable position of having to decide when to "cut bait" and proceed with finalizing the project. I can't imagine that this is an easy thing for any of them to face up to, and I don't envy them when that time comes.

But, yes; I do care an awful lot, because more than anything...at the very root of what I at least try to do, I am a fan.

• Like 1