Will The G7 Split From DCI?

Yes, and the day might come when I win the lottery the next time it gets to $550 million again :) Of course anything can happen. But again, do you honestly think that the G7 will all drop out of the top 12?

How is that relevant? Do you consider a show with one top 12 corps and six others a must-see lineup?

I cannot predict future competitive results. If the G7 leave DCI, they may lose either money or interest and in the process, lose their top-12 quality. If they stay, I cannot promise that every single one of them will fall out of the top 12, or how much time will pass before that happens. I can say it is more likely that if they drive the direction of future events, we would more likely not have a top 12 because their vision does not provide for the existence of that many corps.

Need volunteers... Deepak Chopra .... more votes..... band!!!!... magnificent... office staff change.... Cadets... Eagles... Seth Godin... young people... Need money.... Katie... Starbucks..... in NYC... office staff change... Volunteers.... 27 hours in office today... Eagles... Oprah.... NPR.... Music Education cuts.... $$$.... sitting in office.... Starbucks... running.... NYC.... Ghandi... {insert letter}... band!!!!..... volunteers.... office staff change.... Startbucks.... magnificient.... Cadets.... 84 hours in office today.... {defend against Pych's snarky, but spot on observations}... NYT... run... need money.... Phillies,... Katie... {more Pych}... office staff change... money... Eagles... Cadets.... Mannillow.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

However, I think that they (the fan base who are unaware of the G7 possible mutiny) 'would' care if they knew of the real situation. DCI is part to blame for this lack of fan knowledge, and DCI is helping this by allowing MiM shows to appear to be promoted via DCI.

DCI is surely being careful about giving advance publicity to a new circuit that would be in competition with DCI.

How is that relevant? Do you consider a show with one top 12 corps and six others a must-see lineup?

I cannot predict future competitive results. If the G7 leave DCI, they may lose either money or interest and in the process, lose their top-12 quality. If they stay, I cannot promise that every single one of them will fall out of the top 12, or how much time will pass before that happens. I can say it is more likely that if they drive the direction of future events, we would more likely not have a top 12 because their vision does not provide for the existence of that many corps.

It's relevant because you mentioned that a day could come when the G7 are no longer in the top 12 - obviously your point is that anything can happen. Do I consider a show with one top 12 and six others a must see lineup? No - I mentioned as much in my original post. And neither do the G7. That is their point, plain and simple - and they have a valid point, however controversial way they are going about all of this.

Do you think the G7 corps have enough alumni & current MM friends/family to fill stadiums without having to really branch out and pull in the average fan (or newbie)? Do you think there will be enough general drum corps fans who skip the show out of principle? Or do you think that the average drum corps fans (of which, IMO, DCP does not necessarily represent) cares about this G7 drama, or do they care more about seeing the top corps together at one show? I don't have any answers for that, but it makes for interesting discussion/thinking

I don't think the G7 have all that much draw in-and-of themselves. They have plenty of draw as "The DCI Top 7". Lots of people cheer for the top groups because, duh, they're the best. But if the top groups were named "Crusaders" and "Scouts" rather than "Crown" and "Blue Devils", I don't think that would change too much for the typical DCI attendee.

My guess is that the G7 directors are seriously underestimating the time/cost of building their own brand. Would you expect a big audience for a show of "7 Corps That Won A Bunch Of VFW Championships A While Back"? Me neither.

Edited by ShortAndFast

The directors of these corps are absolutely ridiculous. Drum Corps is about the experience for the participants, a performance art, the music! Not winning! The notion of dividing from DCI simply because they think that they're better than anyone else is repulsive, and if they split, I won't miss them. This is not a message that corps should be trying to promote - I mean, honestly, who would want to join an organization run by self-righteous elitists.

• Like 3

I don't think the G7 have all that much draw in-and-of themselves. They have plenty of draw as "The DCI Top 7". Lots of people cheer for the top groups because, duh, they're the best. But if the top groups were named "Crusaders" and "Scouts" rather than "Crown" and "Blue Devils", I don't think that would change too much for the typical DCI attendee.

My guess is that the G7 directors are seriously underestimating the time/cost of building their own brand. Would you expect a big audience for a show of "7 Corps That Won A Bunch Of VFW Championships A While Back"? Me neither.

I completely disagree - I think the G7 are much more of a powerful draw than the "DCI" brand. Replace them with Boston/Madison/BK/Glassmen/Spirit/Crossmen/Academy, that DCI top 7 show is just not going to draw as many fans.

It seems like, in the last few pages of these G7 threads, people have talked themselves into devaluing the G-7, both in market appeal and financial ability. :blink: Don't forget there's a reason they made their play in the first place, and that it had to be addressed.

Of course, it's all rhetorical right now - no way to prove either of us right or wrong.

Mike

• Like 2

The directors of these corps are absolutely ridiculous. Drum Corps is about the experience for the participants, a performance art, the music! Not winning! The notion of dividing from DCI simply because they think that they're better than anyone else is repulsive, and if they split, I won't miss them. This is not a message that corps should be trying to promote - I mean, honestly, who would want to join an organization run by self-righteous elitists.

But they are also saying that their needs are different, say, than that of Pacific Crest, Jersey Surf, Mandarins... heck, even Academy, Crossmen and Spirit. We automatically accept that there's an inherent difference between Open Class and World Class, but World Class at this point is really made up of corps in three different stages. I still maintain DCI would be better served separating the big corps from the not-quite-there-yet corps and keep them in the fold.

Mike

I completely disagree - I think the G7 are much more of a powerful draw than the "DCI" brand. Replace them with Boston/Madison/BK/Glassmen/Spirit/Crossmen/Academy, that DCI top 7 show is just not going to draw as many fans.

It seems like, in the last few pages of these G7 threads, people have talked themselves into devaluing the G-7, both in market appeal and financial ability. :blink:/> Don't forget there's a reason they made their play in the first place, and that it had to be addressed.

Of course, it's all rhetorical right now - no way to prove either of us right or wrong.

Mike

This