What happens next?

Mike, it's not like you to purposely misrepresent the facts, so I'm going to assume you haven't looked at that interview in awhile, and are allowing time to blur your memory of it.

Hah - that would indeed be correct. Any errors in recollection are solely mine. I do, however, specifically remember the trunk-of-the-car comment as a point illustrating that the big corps overall outgrew the smaller circuit.

Mike

How exactly are they hijacking DCI and taking advantage of the goodwill of other corps?

Conversely, I wonder why the other corps & DCI a) let them host their own shows that could compete with DCI shows and b)don't just "force" the G7 corps to choose one venue/circuit or the other.

If the G7 corps are truly only benefitting themselves while also costing the DCI members corps money in show revenue & merchandise revenue, don't you think DCI would step in? There are more non-G7 corps in DCI than G7 corps, so surely if this endeavor is negatively affecting profit margins of DCI and its member corps the majority of its member corps directors could change the situation, right?

I think the G7 are probably technically operating within the letter of the existing rules (which, alas, we don't know--but if the DCI by-laws are anything like the performance rules, they are probably vague and self-contradictory). Obviously they can run shorter seasons and perform at alternative events--most corps do so, though rarely if ever at alternative competitive events. So putting on their own series of other shows is not something directly actionable in itself.

As for starving the other corps and DCI of revenue, there is no way that's not happening--the presence of the G7 at a special six-show series all of their own means that they'll be taking ticket sales from other nearby shows where the top corps were last year's 7th, 9th, and 10th place corps--what night the shows are on is only part of the equation. Lots of people choose to only go to one or two shows a summer, and they will pick the show with the most corps they want to see. Two shows in an area with three G7 corps in them each would probably cross over their break-even point, but if there are two shows in an area, one of which has the G7, and the other of which has Madison as their top-finishing corps on the bill, well, the G7 show will do a whole lot better, and the non-G7 show may end up not hitting its break-even point.

The more shows the G7 organize for themselves, the more non-G7 shows will struggle to net any income for their organizers, and the more shows that will not come back in future years, meaning fewer opportunities for the non-G7 corps in future years.

So, why doesn't DCI blackball the MIMPA shows and not admit they are happening? I have no idea. Maybe they are afraid of what the G7 will do in retribution. In the near term, looking at just 2013, kicking out the G7, even if it were politically possible, would make DCI and the non-G7 corps much worse off than just going along with these gradual moves by the G7 to gather more of the revenue for themselves.

The G7 have plans to have their own theater event, their own online streaming service, and their own video and audio products coming out of this new series. How can that not threaten DCI's revenue stream? And yet, kicking them out might make things so ugly in the next year or two that DCI would fall apart completely.

So hopefully that makes it clear what I mean that the G7 are trading off the unwillingness of DCI and the non-G7 corps to play hardball. The fact that the G7 have sufficient power to bully the rest of DCI does not mean they are doing the right thing, or what's best for DCI or even themselves in the long term.

• Like 4

I really think all parties flourish with all current DCI corps staying in DCI: and I think that all parties, at the end of the day, understand that as well.

I agree, so how should DCI deal with a group of corps that are trying to operate by different rules to maximize their own revenue at the expense of everyone else while maintaining all the benefits of being part of DCI?

I agree, so how should DCI deal with a group of corps that are trying to operate by different rules to maximize their own revenue at the expense of everyone else while maintaining all the benefits of being part of DCI?

You understand that the corps in question have legitimate concerns and legitimate ideas to secure a stronger future not just for their own corps but for all corps and that worth while discussions need to be had about some of the hard facts about the activity.

I mean we understand that we're not dealing with wall street banks here... they are non-profit drum corps...

• Like 3

You understand that the corps in question have legitimate concerns and legitimate ideas to secure a stronger future not just for their own corps but for all corps

Has there been mention of looking out for ALL corps from these organizations?

Honest question.

Edited by PunkRawkBandGeek

Has there been mention of looking out for ALL corps from these organizations?

Honest question.

No.

Edited by elmhurstmusiced

You understand that the corps in question have legitimate concerns and legitimate ideas to secure a stronger future not just for their own corps but for all corps and that worth while discussions need to be had about some of the hard facts about the activity.

I mean we understand that we're not dealing with wall street banks here... they are non-profit drum corps...

Just get the feeling that some of the corps managers are only worried about themselves and not giving any thought to what happens it if they are the only ones left standing.

Then there are some who think there are too many corps and cutting down to X amount of corps is just right <$1 to Goldielocks>... as long as their corps is one of the survivors....

Feeling I'm getting anyway..... could be wrong...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Okay, then, please share. All I remember regarding "all corps" are proposals to dilute their voting power, decrease their pay and limit their access to shows. How is that a "stronger future"?

And none of the G7 actions have even attempted to generate "worthwhile discussions" either among us or in the DCI boardroom. Quite the opposite - it seems they prefer no discussion, no press releases, no transparency. If you want to discuss the hard facts about the activity, please proceed, because none of the G7 directors will.

• Like 3

Careful out there making opinions. If your profile says you marched a G7 corps like I did, and you disagree with the G7 like I do, there are a few members that are going to post your profile to try and make you look bad.

I guess people have always agree with the corps they marched.

I guess all you Cadets out there that have disagreed with George over the years are doing something wrong.

• Like 1

Careful out there making opinions. If your profile says you marched a G7 corps like I did, and you disagree with the G7 like I do, there are a few members that are going to post your profile to try and make you look bad.

I guess people have always agree with the corps they marched.

I guess all you Cadets out there that have disagreed with George over the years are doing something wrong.

This type of bullying does not surprise me. Just remember, if you marched prior to 2010, you did not march with a G7 corps.