Why Aren't Crowd Reactions Like They Used to be?

Design. Shows now are more fluid continual moving productions, where in the past, each song had it's own release point to let everyone exhale.

..........because many corps do not play recognizable arrangements of songs, obscure stuff that fans have a hard time relating to, and try to cram as many notes (especially pit) notes into a measure as possible,........

• Like 9

..........because many corps do not play recognizable arrangements of songs, obscure stuff that fans have a hard time relating to, and try to cram as many notes (especially pit) notes into a measure as possible,........

Regiment's Spartacus was obscure music in which not many had heard prior to them playing it, yet the crowd went Ballistic. I will concede, though, that Mike and Jeff have a point about some current music/drill 'designers' not building in crowd explosion points.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 4

Maybe for all of us it is the fact that we have played our CDs, tapes, DVDs, VHSs, Blu-Rays, too loud for too long and our hearing is starting fade!

• Like 2

I might also add stadium expansion. The 94 DCI show in Foxboro had a rather ecstatic response for the corps that competed. Of course 27th's "Once More in 94 rocked the house, so to speak, but the crowds responded to the competing corps. In 2005, again in Foxboro, the crowd had a rather enthusiastic response but it seemed muffled in comparison, even though I believe it was a larger crowd (if I am wrong about attendance, I know I'll be corrected). I do not think it is a drum corps thing, because I've noticed the same thing at concerts and Patriots' games. The difference? At the new Gillette Stadium, everyone is not packed in like a sardine, as was the case in the old Shaeffer/Sullivan/Foxboro stadium days. Many of the old stadiums have been remodeled and people are more spread out.

Perhaps we may miss the "old days" of wild crowds, but now that I'm fifty, I appreciate convenient parking, better food, more seating space, and restrooms that can't be detected by the odor when you're sitting in teh stands.

Edited by Tim K

Crowds (especially young) for the last 5-10 years have had easy access to the internet. Digital music is also a thing. This means that people have access to these things with little effort and they've seen/heard more making them harder to impress.

I love the denial I'm reading on here: Nothing To See Here...Move Along.

If all you can cite is one or two moments in a season, yeah, crowd reactions aren't like they used to be. That doesn't mean there are zero crowd reactions today, but I agree they're fewer and farther between. And there are a lot of reasons, most of which have already been mentioned: show design (no pause for impact points); high brow music selections vs. generally accessible music selections.

• Like 7