2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

Can we all agree that teaching kids to play more musically, and with a proper characteristic sound and technique for their instrument is a good thing???

1. The kids who have been taught the proper way to play the instrument don't have to learn new (and BAD) playing habits when they shift to a DCA corps. If you don't think that affects band directors being willing to recommend DCA corps to their kids, well..... I want some of what you're smoking.
  2. I had one director tell me, with a lot of passion, that he spent almost ten grand on new mallet/keyboards a year ago, and in the course of just one season they are all but destroyed. At the same time, he can find a full up system to mike the pit for $5-7,000 that will last for a decade, and will allow his kids to play more expressively and not hurt themselves or the expensive equipment they currently bang the #### out of. Yes, amps are actually seen as a way to CUT costs...

I agree 100%. I enjoy this rule change largely from the perspectives of education and overall musical quality (being able to hear the "characteristic sound" of the instrument, as you said). As plenty of corps are already well into their respective design processes, I also like that it isn't coming out right away. Corps have time to fundraise for the equipment if they choose to use amps, and the temptation to immediately apply it to a show you've already been planning without amplification is removed.

Well Pandora's box has been opened. DCA will in years to come follow DCI's lead and we will have the growing pains of Narration,Vocals,Singing Synthesizers and rockbands on the sidelines. Expect The Color of Crap part two , Yowza Yowza Yowz Unfolded and This I Believe I need another beer part 3 with a door at a stadium near you.

Fixed that for you. :tongue:

We must always remember a single, most important qualifier. Can current participants (performers and audience) continue to do this thing financially? The current economy is pretty bad.......

The cost of participating especially for the younger participants typically relies in the disposable income of their parent(s) and/or guardian(s). Mom and Dad have no additional dough, no one is going anyplace........either to perform in a show or attend a show. And the same holds true for those of any age; but more-so in the evaluation process of a parent and/or guardian when the family budget has to be taken into total consideration.

I'm quite sure everyone looks at (or should look at) "value"; inasmuch is the participant getting value for the "investment" (that's government talk for spending). Is value an uplifting positive experience where it's also affordable, the participants are well fed, travel and lodging taken care of, etc. Or does value come from having "keep up with the Joneses" expenditures placing a larger burden on the participants themselves; because it will be a "shared sacrifice" from a bulk of the membership to a lesser segment of the membership.

The performing arts activity is (especially now) in a highly volatile financial atmosphere. We have multiple corps (all sectors; DCA, DCI, Alumni, etc.) asking for donations of all sorts from meeting basic budgetary expenditures to even get on the field in 2013, to saving equipment from a creditor, to paying for repairs, to getting new uniforms....and it never ends; it never will..........the intensity may lessen given which way the economy gives it's push, but the needs of some sort will always be there.

Most every corps, at one time or another, goes through a rough time (or two, or three, or four)...that's the nature of the beast.

But..........

What is value? Maybe offering more meals as part of the privilege of membership, maybe putting the corps membership up in a reasonably priced lodging facility rather than a gym floor, maybe offering bus service rather than carpooling for a gig or two, maybe a nice season ending banquet at no cost to the membership.....what are the participants going to remember, what are the participants (and the parent's of the younger participants) going to appreciate? Examples such as these type of things.........or an electrical outlet?

• Like 2

Not 100% sure I'm all that happy about the A&E aspect of this. All I can remember is 2004's DCI Finals of SCV's performance and hearing the pit pound through and covering the hornline at points - certainly not balanced by any perspective.

That said, if the judges give non-amped corps a fair shake vs. those who are amped, then there shouldn't be any complaints.

I also think that this is where it should end for DCA. No synths or amplified voice in DCA, please. I still cringe when I hear 2007 Cadets.

Rochester? Meh.

• Like 1

2012 Rules Congress!

Drum Corps Associates (DCA) held its 2012 Rules Congress in Baltimore, MD today and have the following to announce:

Additionally, the directors and executive board agreed to allow the use of amplification for acoustic percussion equipment, beginning with the 2014 competitive season.

The change was approved after much deliberation through educational staff caucuses and debate on the membership floor. The rule will allow for amplification of currently approved concert and keyboard percussion instruments already utilized by DCA corps.

This rule does NOT allow for the use of synthesizers, stringed instruments, or the amplification of voice or brass instruments.

It is with much sadness. I say the following. (an edited post I did. posted Dec. 3rd 2012 on another site.)

------------------

"Senior Corps" was eliminated to make way for "All Age" . Which was a Good Move. The "Class A Division": Another Great move. BUT, overall has now changed into "DCIA" without, Mikes, Amps, Electronic's, and a few other DCI items.

Now, With the "Rule's" meetings this year, and surprise what? MIKES, AMPS, and, maybe even Electronic's will be brought up. (What a shock. Just Amp Pit and Conductor. Yea right!)

SO, I say:

Within 5 or 6 Years. DCI and DCA will be One. Why have TWO. Just allow one

Division to have people over 22 years old. One Division will be the DCI TOC type Corps. Maybe expanded to 12 Corps. The rest of World Class & the top 5 DCA Open Class, and Top 5 DCI Open Class will go to a New Division.

Then also a Weekends Only Division as a catch all that is left for, the Old,

DCI & DCA Corps. (Which is where many "All Age" would go.)

A "DCIA org." couldl be something like this:

1 - "World Class Div." (Top 12 Championship corps)

2 - "WC Open Class Division" ( Top 5 DCA Corps + Lower DCI WC, 5 Top DCI Open Corps)

3 - "Weekends Only Div." (All DCI & DCA Corps that are Not part of other

Divisions)

Then at "World Championships", it would be 2 show's as now.

1- Both "WC Divisions" in one Championship. (WC & WCO Corps in Prelims, Simi's, Finals)

2 - Weekends Only Championship.

Anyway DCA, as we know it will be gone. It is not a matter of "IF" it happens,

but is "WHEN", it happens. That's FINE, if that is what the people want.

----> Good Luck, Have Fun, the Quality and Excellance are Great, Enjoy!!!!! <----

Leaving only the "Alumni (Type) Corps" movement for the "Just for Fun and Fans" people to enjoy. But for me it is almost time to say "Good Bye DCA" to you also. (I said "Good Bye" to DCI about 15 years ago.)

Tommy

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,

but by the moments that take our breath away".

"Be who you are, and say what you feel,

...because those that matter don't mind,

and those that mind, don't matter."

Tommy

Edited by OldStyleCorps
  • Like 1

My questions is still what passed & failed at the DCA Rules Congress meeting

Edited by darkman
  • Like 3

It is with much sadness. I say the following. (an edited post I did. posted Dec. 3rd 2012 on another site.)

------------------

"Senior Corps" was eliminated to make way for "All Age" . Which was a Good Move. The "Class A Division": Another Great move. BUT, overall has now changed into "DCIA" without, Mikes, Amps, Electronic's, and a few other DCI items.

Now, With the "Rule's" meetings this year, and surprise what? MIKES, AMPS, and, maybe even Electronic's will be brought up. (What a shock. Just Amp Pit and Conductor. Yea right!)

SO, I say:

Within 5 or 6 Years. DCI and DCA will be One. Why have TWO. Just allow one

Division to have people over 22 years old. One Division will be the DCI TOC type Corps. Maybe expanded to 12 Corps. The rest of World Class & the top 5 DCA Open Class, and Top 5 DCI Open Class will go to a New Division.

Then also a Weekends Only Division as a catch all that is left for, the Old,

DCI & DCA Corps. (Which is where many "All Age" would go.)

A "DCIA org." couldl be something like this:

1 - "World Class Div." (Top 12 Championship corps)

2 - "WC Open Class Division" ( Top 5 DCA Corps + Lower DCI WC, 5 Top DCI Open Corps)

3 - "Weekends Only Div." (All DCI & DCA Corps that are Not part of other

Divisions)

Then at "World Championships", it would be 2 show's as now.

1- Both "WC Divisions" in one Championship. (WC & WCO Corps in Prelims, Simi's, Finals)

2 - Weekends Only Championship.

Anyway DCA, as we know it will be gone. It is not a matter of "IF" it happens,

but is "WHEN", it happens. That's FINE, if that is what the people want.

----> Good Luck, Have Fun, the Quality and Excellance are Great, Enjoy!!!!! <----

Leaving only the "Alumni (Type) Corps" movement for the "Just for Fun and Fans" people to enjoy. But for me it is almost time to say "Good Bye DCA" to you also. (I said "Good Bye" to DCI about 15 years ago.)

Tommy

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,

but by the moments that take our breath away".

"Be who you are, and say what you feel,

...because those that matter don't mind,

and those that mind, don't matter."

Tommy

How very SAD also that someone can have an "Idea", or "Opinion" and not get Red Marks.

I meant no harm to DCI or DCA.

If all the changes being made are what you (the people) want. " THAT IS GOOD!!! "

Not Wrong or Bad. So also say. If that, is NOT what you want that is " OK ".

I do not give Red Marks, to people I do not agree with.

BUT, I do give a lot of Green ones to the ones I like.

Edited by OldStyleCorps

Of course they wouldn't win, as you and I and others know... simply because their show is not geared for competition at all.

Even though, IMO, they have the most in-tune brass section in all of marching music, and the charts they play are high-level and are performed at an exceptionally, sometimes other-worldly, high level.

But, for one thing... their show is way over the time limit. :tongue:/>/>

But Fran, they use G BUGLES don't they? How could they possibly be in tune and so melodic? (tongue firmly in cheek)

I agree, they wouldn't win, but they would definitely entertain the h--- out of the PAYING audience, which, in my mind, is not being done too frequently these days.

Even my beloved senior corps, yes SENIOR corps ( I don't dwell on PC ) are becoming very boring lately ( read as too DCI for my taste, but that's just MHO)

Haven't had a "goosebump moment" in years.

Ray

• Like 1