2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

Obviously, I agree. I put out the idea of moving this form of entertainment indoors with ensembles that are smaller. Most posters were uncomfortable even discussing something different. I do understand, but a new model is needed, and probably soon. Let's all keep an open mind on this dilemma.

"something different" is what will survive. Probably smaller, more flexible and more local, too.

there are some already finding at least some measure of success along these lines.

What audience? The small crowd that shows up for the Sunday morning alumni show (and what's the average age of that anyway?), or the ones that are only there because it's a competitive show with DCA competing corps? Sure, those folks enjoy an exhibition or two, but don't kid yourself...aside from Cabs Alumni (a very special case), the only one that's in any way a real draw is Bridgemen, a corps catering to at least some younger folks.

Look, I get it. Alumni corps are beloved...by the folks in them, and a few hard-cores. But that's not nearly enough to sustain them as a facet of the activity. And they aren't exactly filling the DCA coffers when they do perform (again, with Cabs and Bridgemen being special cases).

And when those corps are gone, who's going to be left to fill up DCA shows?

John, the reason I mentioned the Cabs Alumni is because you singled out one of their standards (Cherry Pink) as a song that younger folks might not want to play.

Why would a corps like that... a corps that turns down far more invitations to perform than it accepts, one that is arguably one of the most in-demand organizations in all of marching music... change the musical approach that has worked for them for many years?

Perhaps some younger people might enjoy being in an alumni corps like that, that generates huge audience responses every time they perform. After all.... if someone joins an alumni corps, it tells me that either they can't afford (with either money or time) to march in a competition corps... or they simply don't want to be part of the competitive drum corps scene.

I agree with you about the "shelf life" of alumni corps... heck, of all drum corps. To me, the future of the current model doesn't look as bright as it could. On all levels.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

I believe that there is merit and market for keeping some form of the corps activity alive.

At a minimum that would preclude the addition of woodwinds, I think.

How could one preserve any identity separate from Marching Band, otherwise?

and if you could not preserve that separate identity, what would there really be to preserve and pass on? And to what point?... Marching Band will still exist, at least on a scholastic, regional basis.

Edited by princessL
  • Like 1

John, the reason I mentioned the Cabs Alumni is because you singled out one of their standards (Cherry Pink) as a song that younger folks might not want to play.

Why would a corps like that... a corps that turns down far more invitations to perform than it accepts, one that is arguably one of the most-in demand organizations in all of marching music... change the musical approach that has worked for them for many years?

Perhaps some younger people might enjoy being in an alumni corps like that, that generates huge audience responses every time they perform. After all.... if someone joins an alumni corps, it tells me that either they can't afford (with either money or time) to march in a competition corps... or they simply don't want to be part of the competitive drum corps scene.

I agree with you about the "shelf life" of alumni corps... heck, of all drum corps. To me, the future of the current model doesn't look as bright as it could. On all levels.

fran john is younger that us. it's his activity now not ours. he dosen't like the old music. it's not his bag. so be it. and i don't want to hear him come back and say he didn't say it cause he did. and i read those posts. but fine. let him have his way. it's his activity to do what he wants with . but when this whole house of cards collapses it will be because of the new idea's . because they couldn't think of a way to bring in attendance. and it ain't by amping and sythns and guitars. and when cabs alumni gets to old to preform a great alumni corps will be gone forever. and so will their music.

no offence john . really. but i'm tired of your bashing alumni and my generation. you have goodpoint sometimes but you don't have all the answers. if you did then corps wouldn't be in the state it's in. this has been building for years. bless you brother.

• Like 3

fran john is younger that us. it's his activity now not ours. he dosen't like the old music. it's not his bag. so be it. and i don't want to hear him come back and say he didn't say it cause he did. and i read those posts. but fine. let him have his way. it's his activity to do what he wants with . but when this whole house of cards collapses it will be because of the new idea's . because they couldn't think of a way to bring in attendance. and it ain't by amping and sythns and guitars. and when cabs alumni gets to old to preform a great alumni corps will be gone forever. and so will their music.

no offence john . really. but i'm tired of your bashing alumni and my generation. you have goodpoint sometimes but you don't have all the answers. if you did then corps wouldn't be in the state it's in. this has been building for years. bless you brother.

FYI, I'm not as young as you think.

I've also not "bashed" anyone. You're right that alumni corps, at least the DCA flavor, isn't my bag. I don't have the history as a DCA performer and fan that you do (I started in DCA in 2004, but my drum corps pedigree goes back to the early 80's on the DCI side). I like Bridgemen. I also like Cabs Alumni, and I probably should have cited them as an example...but to me they are so far afield from most alumni corps it didn't occur to me to do so.

I do, however, have an objective view of things, having performed and taught in both DCI and DCA, as well as being an active educator and judge in the marching band world. Age is meaningless. Understanding how evolution works isn't.

• Like 3

FYI, I'm not as young as you think.

I've also not "bashed" anyone. You're right that alumni corps, at least the DCA flavor, isn't my bag. I don't have the history as a DCA performer and fan that you do (I started in DCA in 2004, but my drum corps pedigree goes back to the early 80's on the DCI side). I like Bridgemen. I also like Cabs Alumni, and I probably should have cited them as an example...but to me they are so far afield from most alumni corps it didn't occur to me to do so.

I do, however, have an objective view of things, having performed and taught in both DCI and DCA, as well as being an active educator and judge in the marching band world. Age is meaningless. Understanding how evolution works isn't.

i get it john. really. but i started in 1967. a BIG difference. and yes john you have been bashing. you may not see it but you have. in other threads i have agreed with you a lot but in this one........not so much. and now you say i don't understand how evolution works. WRONG! when i left in 1980 it was a lot different than 1967. so don't tell me i don't understand please. i may never have judged but i taught. and i helped to innovate. but it was a different time. and now this is your time. and from what i see........it ain't working out so well. and john one more thing. you don't sound objective at all. it sounds like it's your way or no way. i mean i don't really care anymore. i like fred andfran and some others are just trying to brainstorm but you know more then us. so it's your game now. and i get a lot of PM'S from people saying how wrong you and your's are. so time will tell. i just hope you like your " marching bands" it ain't drum corps.

peace. satisfied.gif

• Like 2

i mean i don't really care anymore. i like fred andfran and some others are just trying to brainstorm but you know more then us. so it's your game now. and i get a lot of PM'S from people saying how wrong you and your's are. so time will tell. i just hope you like your " marching bands" it ain't drum corps.

peace. satisfied.gif

Get off your lawn. Got it.

• Like 2

Then you don't really know what bashing is,............

Typical. Attack the person and not his argument. Not surprising really, especially given my argument for preserving alumni corps is a strong one.

I have nothing but respect for people that participate in alumni corps. The sad thing is that in this forum, if you don't care for them, you get crapped on. But as I said, it's no surprise. After all, this is the same forum where I was crapped on for *not* reviewing alumni performances when I did my DCA show write-ups. The irony is that the only person besides Fran to have a reasonable counter and present it respectfully was a guy much younger than any of us (Kyle).

Edited by Kamarag

one small problem with the above. DCI HAS been going the summer band route for a while now....and we keep seeing corps fold.

Because the issue is not the 'summer band' route, but a lack of income to fund their season...e.g. the Glassmen's bingo went from nearly 110K net to under 10K in one year.

• Like 1