Carolina Crown 2013

The narration bookends the ballad. The middle part is just brass/perc. I'm not sure it's really going to go away -- it's a significant design element .

I’m confused, the narration from EotB is done while playing the Abyss?

I saw the video but I’m not familiar with either piece

I don’t think it’s fair to comment on that video but my first impression, it’s like last years show in reverse – this time the known fanfare is at the start and the hyper part is at the end

I don’t think it’s fair to comment on that video but my first impression, it’s like last years show in reverse – this time the known fanfare is at the start and the hyper part is at the end

In a video posted on YT (since removed) there was a male and female guard member(s) ("John and Mary") and the narration occurred during the ballad as they sat, stood and danced around a red/orange park bench that was sitting around the right 30 yard line ... apparently it is from EOTB as well ... but they didn't include that speaking during the standstill in the gym ...

Edited by ashevillemurphy

That's how I heard it as well. I like the vocal stuff from EotB, but I did not at all like the narration over The Abyss. It really ruins what could be one of the better musical moments of the year. I've always thought music from The Abyss would work really well on the field, but the vibe I got from the video was more akin to when Cadets wrecked Blue Shades by putting that "here's how we rehearse" vocals over it.

But hey, it's June. I really like what Crown is doing with this show, and it will be fun to see how it evolves.

Edited by Kamarag

That part was a weekend camp experiment and will not see the light of day this season. Unfortunate as it would be a nice addition.

I wish DSotM was still included. It was quite a nice early season recording.

Maybe it was because of the above piece and earlier comments, but I was originally under the impression the show was about space and that EotB was a small portion. I do find the integration of EotB with Also sprach Zarathustra to be well done.

I find it's easier to appreciate Philip Glass music if you don't think too much about it.

Edited by LincolnV

Because I was only speaking about Crown :-) They (both design and admin teams) are pretty up front about this to everyone and IMO it's not just marketing-speak -- they're committed to it.

You can make any other statements about other corps that you care to make. This *IS* the Crown thread, Plan.

It wasn't my intent to bring up other corps in the thread, CB...excussssse me :tongue:/>.....I just wanted to suggest that CC is in a very crowded field of "audience firster's". Rach Star was very audience first, perhaps one of the most clearly audience directed DCI productions in recent years. But audiencentric productions can lead designers down paths of over-production and "check the block"...that is to say that it isn't extremely inventive to do a killer company front and huge brass moment (we and they know that is manna to the DCI audience)...but is that what design is all about....guaranteed big audience moments?

IMO CC are at a nexus...they are in title position in several ways....in terms of CI they are there; they have one of the most stable staffs and design teams (a very difficult thing to do); they are deeply loved across the DCI community (even ol' plan loves em); their captions are title competitive.. their brass are ridiculous...their guard and percussion are top 3 quality; and finally, their design team knows what works competitively. If they find the design balance between unique, surprising and tradition...their execution and stellar captions will pull them across. Design, design, design.

"It occurred to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception".

Einstein - speaking of his theory of general relativity.

“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.”

― Albert Einstein

they have one of the most stable staffs and design teams (a very difficult thing to do); they are deeply loved across the DCI community (even ol' plan loves em); their captions are title competitive.. their brass are ridiculous...their guard and percussion are top 3 quality; and finally, their design team knows what works competitively. If they find the design balance between unique, surprising and tradition...their execution and stellar captions will pull them across. Design, design, design.

They haven't had a top 3 quality drumline since 2009.

2010 = 5th

2011 = 6th

2012 = 6th

If the other captions were to maintain (IF), percussion is where they stand to gain.

• Like 3

I'm confused, the narration from EotB is done while playing the Abyss?

I saw the video but I'm not familiar with either piece

I don't think it's fair to comment on that video but my first impression, it's like last years show in reverse – this time the known fanfare is at the start and the hyper part is at the end

The start of the ballad is actually EOTB material -- it transitions into the Abyss. (thus Einstein in the Abyss). The narration continues over the start of the Abyss material but then stops as the build begins. Resumes again later until the second build. Resumes again after big hit. It's being overblown a bit by DCP (shocking I know).

The pacing and inflection by the narrator is very much like the original. Performer obviously spent a lot of time getting it "right".

DCP is full of misinformation. I've already seen posts suggesting that a male and female performer speak during the ballad, that they talk over the entire piece, that narration makes no sense (um it's original source material), blah blah blah.

In reality pretty it's pretty tame stuff. There's almost 4 minutes of spoken poetry in the original -- Crown uses a very small piece of it (about 1:15).

Edited by corpsband

It wasn't my intent to bring up other corps in the thread, CB...excussssse me tongue.gif/>.....I just wanted to suggest that CC is in a very crowded field of "audience firster's". Rach Star was very audience first, perhaps one of the most clearly audience directed DCI productions in recent years. But audiencentric productions can lead designers down paths of over-production and "check the block"...that is to say that it isn't extremely inventive to do a killer company front and huge brass moment (we and they know that is manna to the DCI audience)...but is that what design is all about....guaranteed big audience moments?

Obviously different organization have different philosophies.

Personally I see no reason you can't "give an audience what they want" and still be fresh, creative, even push boundaries. Suggesting that it's one or the other is a false dichotomy. But this is a topic for another thread.