Carolina Crown 2013

I'm not a big fan of narration and BD is not my favorite corps but their use of narration made perfect sense in their Dada show

I agree - I don't normally like covering up the music with recordings, but theirs worked. Give Crown a chance - theirs might work too. Look for reasons to *like* their show, not reasons to dismiss before even the first performance.

Mike

• Like 7

When I say this, I mean no disrespect to you or any of the posters here, but DCP does not represent the entire drum corps community. Sometimes some of us here take ourselves a little too seriously. There have been shows in the past that were beaten to death here, but praised on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter. Again, I'm really not trying to insult anyone here but the truth is, the majority of the posters here are of a different generation, and are therefore less likely to accept some of the changes the activity has seen in recent years. So yes, I guess it's a possibility that some of the higher-ups at Crown occasionally get on DCP. But IMO, I really don't think they (or really any corps for that matter) let what they read here influence how they build their shows.

I think it was whitedawn who once said "It's just advanced Marching Band" (or something to that effect). That comment always makes me laugh because he does have a point.

If I were to guess at the generation thing, I'd say there were more younger people on here than you think.

I agree - I don't normally like covering up the music with recordings, but theirs worked. Give Crown a chance - theirs might work too. Look for reasons to *like* their show, not reasons to dismiss before even the first performance.

Mike

This is not in refernce to my opinion of Carolina Crowns show (cause I love it!), but I need to do this more often.

I think it was whitedawn who once said "It's just advanced Marching Band" (or something to that effect). That comment always makes me laugh because he does have a point.

If I were to guess at the generation thing, I'd say there were more younger people on here than you think.

And American Idol is "just an advanced talent contest"...what's the point?

Dios Mio...why don't you ask whitedawn?

I only asked because you said "he does have a point"...assuming you might know what that is. Afterall... whitedawn is only "advanced sunrise!" :rolleyes:/>

Those vocals were originally sung live by two ladies in the corps, but as of yesterday it's being played as a pre-recorded sample. But that could just be used for rehearsals because they want the ladies to save their voices for actual performances. Or maybe that's just the route they chose to take. I'm not sure.

Like you, I don't know where this is going. At one of the last camps (or maybe the start of all-days), there were 4 vocalists--2 male and 2 female. At the preview show, I think there were only 3--missing a male--but there were still 4 mics setup.

IMHO--If you're going to use the "singing", let's do it with the vocalists and not the synths. That's easy for me to say--I don't have to sing it! My tongue gets warped just thinking about all those notes! :tongue:/>

I'm not a big fan of narration and BD is not my favorite corps but their use of narration made perfect sense in their Dada show.

I agree -- I don't normally like covering up the music with recordings, but theirs worked.

I'm not sure how to read these two comments -- sarcastically or straight? It's better not to hear the brass? Anyway, as was lately the subject of much discussion, Dada was in some ways an anti-artistic (or anti-everything) movement, and if that's what BD wanted (anti-drum corps), some people here certainly feel that they achieved it! I'm not so sure myself, because (1) much of the recorded dialogue was in French and German (plus some heavily-accented English), so I doubt that most audience members (or judges) could understand it even when the audio was clear; and (2) the only two times I heard the show live were at Lucas Oil (Finals + Encore), where it turns out that the recordings were almost impossible to hear at all--and I listened from two different locations, the second one right on the 50. (The dialogue is much clearer on the recordings than it was live. I'll say it again: all the corps should get lower music scores in Indianapolis than at Allentown. The acoustics really are that bad.) BD might have better achieved a Dada vocal effect by getting select audience members to shout during the performance. Surely "Crystal!" or "Frank is an American bad***" is better Dada than anything BD did in 2012.

No, I mean it straight. BD's narration under the opening ballad-like part and during Gymnopedie really ... well, worked. (I saw it both live and recorded.) I didn't think it would, but it did - they found the "right" narration to fit the music - low and lazy.

As for Crown, the experience with BD makes me want to wait and see. In the context of the program, it might also come out just fine.

Mike

• Like 1