Carolina Crown 2013

I really would like your corps to win this year. It has been 17 years since we have had a first-time champion. (Phantom was the last one, in 1996.) This would help invigorate the activity, and hopefully lead to a more balanced competitive environment for drum corps in the future.

I would like to see this. But logically, I just don't think it is going to happen. I don't think you can reel in BD, with only 8 days to go, and a 1 point disadvantage. I hope your percussion line does not cost you a title, but that is what appears to be happening. In the past, it was visual design and execution that cost you titles.

Until your corps has zero weaknesses - and I do mean zero - you will not bring home a championship. The judges in DCI may or may not be biased, but they are certainly unforgiving.

Try your best for the next week. Maybe BD will slip up - perhaps have a bad run-through next Saturday. At a minimum, give your best efforts, and take home a silver medal with pride. Start making preparations for next year; maybe the percussion staff needs to be revamped.

I really do wish you all the best.

What is this '1 point disadvantage' you speak of?

• Like 1

What is this '1 point disadvantage' you speak of?

That was the spread in Murfreesboro last Friday:

See here.

That was the spread in Murfreesboro last Friday:

See here.

That was a week ago...and Crown has beat them since. So again, what is this 1 point deficit you speak of?

*regardless of the lack of percussion judge

Crown show has grown on me a bit, and while I don't really enjoy the narration, it is still a great show. I do think Crown's percussion score could keep them from getting the gold medal, but when the spread is just 2 tenths anything is possible. The spread between BD and Crown will probably grow over the next two shows, but that is just because Crown has a crappy draw for the final TOC shows. The bottom line is that this years race it too close to call and that is a good thing as it will push both corps.

oops, double post

Edited by jmc5682

I was sitting behind these two women today who seemed really angry after Crown's show. I wasn't paying much attention until I heard this: 'Tell me the concept musically and do it with music I know.'

It was said very angrily. It made me a little angry because nothing was said to Oregon Crusaders and their original music or the different soundtrack music throughout the different shows. I can understand people not liking the narration.

I actually found the narration really effective during the ballad as it built with the brass build. Goosebump city. I also freely admit that I enjoy the source material so I know I might be more accepting of it than others but I really do think it worked well. The narration that followed that point wasn't as effective but it didn't draw me out of the show or anything like that.

As I said, I am familiar with Glass' Einstein on the Beach and I thought the way Crown approached the narration with the music was wonderful and it definitely resonated deeper with me. It was a mind blowing show. Mind blowing.

• Like 2

Sorry double post.

Edited by ShainaBassoon