Carolina Crown 2013

I asked the same thing last night ... the beginning, the drum break and the ballad are live ... you can see the performers at the mics when it is live.

Wait, what parts are live? In the beginning, the counting sounds EXACTLY like the original, while the narration sounds different. Is the narration live?

Perhaps the better question is this: Exactly what (vocal) parts are samples?

In the opener, the counting is sampled. The narration of actual words is live.

Ok, cool. Thanks for the clarification. BTW, I kinda love the counting parts when the kids are doing it. Ballad narration, not so much.

Wait, what parts are live? In the beginning, the counting sounds EXACTLY like the original, while the narration sounds different. Is the narration live?

Perhaps the better question is this: Exactly what (vocal) parts are samples?

In the preshow/opener ... there are two girls saying the words. The constant 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 is being played by a pit member through samples. I think there's one other small section for 4-8 measures early on that is sampled, and doubled in the live vocals, but that is all that I'm aware of.

In the preshow/opener ... there are two girls saying the words. The constant 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 is being played by a pit member through samples. I think there's one other small section for 4-8 measures early on that is sampled, and doubled in the live vocals, but that is all that I'm aware of.

Thanks. Would love it if they did all the counting live.

• Like 1

The Mesa video was interesting. I like the live counting in the drum break better than the sampled counting. Any idea why they decided not to do it all live? The narration in the ballad seems way too baked into the design to get rid of. I have to think that's going to be around in some form all summer.

The music is great, the more restrained drill is a good choice, but it's definitely harder to love than recent Crown efforts. It'll be interesting to see how their fans react this summer.

I do think it's going to get a lot of love from the green shirts ("Oooh, obnoxious talking drawing attention away from beautiful music. Fresh! Innovative! Where's the Box 6 on these sheets?"). It certainly looks like a medalist's show, even at this early stage.

The Mesa video was interesting. I like the live counting in the drum break better than the sampled counting. Any idea why they decided not to do it all live? The narration in the ballad seems way too baked into the design to get rid of. I have to think that's going to be around in some form all summer.

The music is great, the more restrained drill is a good choice, but it's definitely harder to love than recent Crown efforts. It'll be interesting to see how their fans react this summer.

I do think it's going to get a lot of love from the green shirts ("Oooh, obnoxious talking drawing attention away from beautiful music. Fresh! Innovative! Where's the Box 6 on these sheets?"). It certainly looks like a medalist's show, even at this early stage.

Some of the sampled counting is done when the girls are playing. Some of it is done while they're talking (preshow). The "1905" line was done live for a while, but in runthroughs it sounded like the girl needed a few more seconds to catch her breath so now that's sampled. Probably a few other reasons as well. Personally, I'd rather it be sampled (if need be) and sound good vs done live and something potentially go wrong on the night I see them perform it.

Regarding show design, I think they have. Crown is a fan favorite most years. Even here, far more people said they like this year's show than not.

Well - sorry but I'm going to buck that trend. I've been a fan of Crown for the past few years but they sure lost me this year. Frankly I see this as a sellout to the Dada success (?) last year. The incessant chattering buries the incredible talent way too many times and goes from annoying, to intrusive, to really getting on the nerves. Horrible design for a fantastic corps.

IMHO

• Like 7

Some of the sampled counting is done when the girls are playing. Some of it is done while they're talking (preshow). The "1905" line was done live for a while, but in runthroughs it sounded like the girl needed a few more seconds to catch her breath so now that's sampled. Probably a few other reasons as well. Personally, I'd rather it be sampled (if need be) and sound good vs done live and something potentially go wrong on the night I see them perform it.

Personally, demanding live performances where something might go wrong (you might drop that rifle, frak that note, miss that form, etc) is what I enjoy about drum corps. I find it much more exciting to hear live singers who, indeed, might be out of breath or sing flat or be out of time. So much more awesome when they nail it.

To each their own.

• Like 4