Carolina Crown 2013

Personally, demanding live performances where something might go wrong (you might drop that rifle, frak that note, miss that form, etc) is what I enjoy about drum corps. I find it much more exciting to hear live singers who, indeed, might be out of breath or sing flat or be out of time. So much more awesome when they nail it.

To each their own.

Fair point. But what happens if it's off every night? Does the score sheet begin to reflect that? Take Cadets 2007: in every single recording I've heard, the young lady who says

sounds out of breath. Is it worth the risk? That's not a rhetorical question either.

Unfortunately, I think this is nuts. The whole point is that this is a live performance. Sampling voice is a gutless move, IMO. Particularly when you have a ton of pit folks standing around doing nothing and microphones sitting unused (or the money to buy mikes for everyone in the corps if necessary). Voice is no more likely to cause problems than any other exposed or solo element. Using samples to avoid risk is antithetical to the entire point of the activity. thumbdown.gifWould you prefer a sampled trumpet solo to the real thing?

Never. I draw the line at sampling instruments (voice not included) that already exist on the field. I can understand possibly being in the minority on that one.

Personally, demanding live performances where something might go wrong (you might drop that rifle, frak that note, miss that form, etc) is what I enjoy about drum corps. I find it much more exciting to hear live singers who, indeed, might be out of breath or sing flat or be out of time. So much more awesome when they nail it.

:worthy::thumbup::worthy:

Yes! This and just the intensity of seeing and hearing real, actual performance. Seeing someone press a key or strike a drumpad to get a pre-recorded voice sound to emerge from the PAs is not interesting or exciting at all.

• Like 2

Fair point. But what happens if it's off every night? Does the score sheet begin to reflect that? Take Cadets 2007: in every single recording I've heard, the young lady who says

sounds out of breath. Is it worth the risk? That's not a rhetorical question either.

What if there's a piece of music that the trumpets just can't get because at that particular point they're out of breath and it's always out of tune. Your answer is to sample it? If not and you differentiate instruments from voice, I'd sincerely like to hear your rationale for that in the context of the activity.

Edited by frachel
  • Like 2

When did we become afraid of risk?

• Like 4

Would you prefer a sampled trumpet solo to the real thing?

Heh. If BD had only had this option in 1989, wouldn't their score have gone up?

When did we become afraid of risk?

If you're saying corps today are not taking risks you are far off the point buddy...

The issues of what should be prerecorded, done live, ect, is a whole other topic Go start one if you want.

So back on topic. Excited to see how they stack up against BD and Vanguard this weekend.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

What if there's a piece of music that the trumpets just can't get because at that particular point they're out of breath and it's always out of tune. Your answer is to sample it? If not and you differentiate instruments from voice, I'd sincerely like to hear your rationale for that in the context of the activity.

Asked and answered.