Carolina Crown 2013

This show is definitely going to be polarizing. People will fall into either the love it or hate it camp with few left sitting on the fence.

I wonder what type of posts we would have seen in these forums back in 1993 when Star Of Indiana debuted their "Medea" show?

Its a good question, as many of those that disliked that type of Drum Corps show have left as fans of the activity. I suspect those that left probably still don't like that 93 show compared to other shows available then. My guess, they would still agree with the judges back in 1993 as to what was the worthy winner. DCI has struggled to replace the thousands of fans that have left the activity over the years. The number of shows and the total number of fans attending DCI shows in total for the summer is down of late compared to the 1980's. DCI really has very little margin for error anymore if its shows from its top echelon Corps are reportedly going to be polarizing, more so than uniting us.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Wow, so many comments on Crown's show! There must have been 30,000 in the audience at Mesa to see them or is this based on a YouTube video? Lol :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Wow, so many comments on Crown's show! There must have been 30,000 in the audience at Mesa to see them or is this based on a YouTube video? Lol :rolleyes:/>/>/>

This thread on Carolina Crown started on December 20th, 2012 and has nearly 185,000 views and dozens of threads. So its not like last nite's show in Mesa is when DCP'ers started discussing about what Crown is up too for 2013. But ya, you're probably right that people should wait to see the show themselves before saying they love it, dislike it, or something in between. But its hard to be so patient when there is a 44 week blackout of performances ( and practices ) to discuss on here.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Oh, don't be surprised to read a few "it's a slap in the face to the fans" comments in the reviews if a corps dares to not march a complete drill. Or if they don't have all their show silks yet. It happens every year.

When was the last time you payed money to see a musical show, and toward the end, there was or was not an announcement that the show was incomplete. There was no notice previous to the musical event that it was not complete.

Would you say, "Oh, well" I'll pay again later in the summer to see the complete show. Why do we make excuses for drum corps. Maybe shows are more complex than they need to be; Or maybe the prices should be reduced or maybe corps should pay a heavier price for not being done, or maybe a notice should go out from DCI about incomplete shows on any particular night.

We have to expect and accept less than as being ok.

Mitch

• Like 2

How does everyone see the ending changing? Do you think there will be a piece of music added that we all thought would be there? Or will they continue to develop on the eotb motif?

I KNOW I KNOW......darn I cannot say :ph34r:/>

But what I can say is notice there is no "Crown" set....so can guess where that might go?

Edited by splat-a-drag-a-phonium

When was the last time you payed money to see a musical show, and toward the end, there was or was not an announcement that the show was incomplete. There was no notice previous to the musical event that it was not complete.

Would you say, "Oh, well" I'll pay again later in the summer to see the complete show. Why do we make excuses for drum corps. Maybe shows are more complex than they need to be; Or maybe the prices should be reduced or maybe corps should pay a heavier price for not being done, or maybe a notice should go out from DCI about incomplete shows on any particular night.

We have to expect and accept less than as being ok.

Mitch

Yes, but stage shows spend a much longer time getting ready, and go through weeks of previews before opening to the public. Corps don't have that kind of luxury.

Yes, but stage shows spend a much longer time getting ready, and go through weeks of previews before opening to the public. Corps don't have that kind of luxury.

Corps used to have shows as early as May 15th. And while not all were ready on May 15th or so, most were. There is no excuse for not having a show complete for the first competition by the 3rd week of June... not when you've agreed to participate in that show back in the wintertime.

No excuses.

Maybe DCI should adopt a penalty system for what appears to the Chief Judge as an incomplete show. Make Regionals draw based upon placements. If a few Corps are penalized for incomplete shows and they fall a few placement spots at early shows, thereby hurting them at Regionals in their drawn position, I guarantee you that these incomplete shows would become a thing of the past in a heartbeat. Right now there is no real penalty for going with an incomplete show, and just what exactly are our future music educators learning as the lesson from the non penalized allowance of going out in performance not completely prepared and going with an incomplete ? :exclamation:/>

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

So.... Dirty as sin and complete is better than a safe to perform product that's not all done? Got it

• Like 1

So.... Dirty as sin and complete is better than a safe to perform product that's not all done? Got it

No. There is no excuse for a Corps that knew back in the winter and agreed to perform at such and such a date to have an incomplete show. Its become WAY more common than neccessary. All shows, whether complete or not, have dirt in them in June. We don't stop a Corps from performing because they have dirt in it, whether its in June or August, so that an irrelevent comment to your willingness to be non crtical of the frequency of incomplete shows that we see a lot of these days.

It is not acceptable for so many Corps these days to go out with incomplete shows the 3rd week of June. It is also inexcuseable, imo, for DCI not to have full panels ready to go the 3rd week of June. These MM's and staff work too hard to then have DCI give a half arse approach to judged competitions in the 3rd week of June.

Incomplete shows and half a judging panel DOES NOT ring out professionalism and top notch " Major League ". It may to some, and thats cool and I'm ok with that. But unpreparedness to a set and agreed too timetable made long ago is decidedly not a " Major League " in my opinion. And allowing half a judging panel as an economy move looks small time to me. Thats my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1