G7 Update

I wonder how many here will spend an extra buck or two at Troops souvie stand this year?

I wonder if the other directors realize the marketing and support position they could command by taking a similar position public as Troop has.

I do need a new Troop hat... my old one is all sweat-stained. :tongue:/>/>

• Like 1

Fantastic response. I especially applaud this line:

"Ultimately, if the "7" truly have some valid claim to superior qualifications, organizational ability and vision, we feel it is incumbent on them to act like it."

• Like 5

Congratulations to the Troopers organization!

Your letter was truly one of a caring organization

that is willing to stand up for the activity in a time of

turmoil.

YOUR voice should be heard loud and clear as you are one

of the founding members of DCI.

I hope to see the other "non G7" corps stand up and be heard as well.

I surely will support a the Troopers a bit extra this year as a "Thank You" for

there stand for DCI.

• Like 3

Stay firm this week, DCI BOD! There may be some changes worth implementing in all of this but do not let the Greedy 7 seize control. If they feel they have to leave, let them go. They'll start picking away at each other, just like they did when they had positions of power within DCI... and they'll want back in. Only BD and SCV have the $$$ to help float the other guys... and Hopkins, among others, really works the float. Stay united!

here's what I know...I'm pretty sure a laptop and cell phone usage ban will probably be in effect during the meeting, so if anything leaks, it won't be until later tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 1

1/23/13

The following is the Troopers Board of Directors' response to the 1/9/13 e-mail letter from the Directors of the "7", titled "re: Drum Corps International and the Future."

...Obviously, many of the "7" have been responsible for it to a significant degree as they've advocated changes that have made competing more and more expensive while working to maintain a status quo where revenue is concentrated at the top.

Equally disingenuous is the claim that the decline of open class corps is a "product of economic times."

the decline is due to a failure of stewardship over the activity as a whole, a failure aided and abetted by the philosophy espoused by the "7", that has funneled the resources to the "haves" while ignoring the need to build capacity at all levels, and has indulged the whims of a few influential corps directors, preventing any real sense of community and mutual ownership of the activity, driving up expenses, and leaving corps without the skills and means to survive the tough economic times.

Similarly, we disagree with the argument that the governance of the activity should be exclusively in the hands of corps directors. In addition to representation from competing organizations, the governing organization needs to include voices that have demonstrated excellence in nonprofit management and who are motivated solely by a passion for keeping the activity alive and free from the pressure to advance the interests of individual drum corps.

Competitive success is simply not the same thing as organizational capability.

The current situation, where none of the "7" are represented on the board is due in no small part to their own deliberate non-participation in the electoral process that those twelve similarly situated drum corps established many years ago, and that we have all agreed to over time.

Ultimately, if the "7" truly have some valid claim to superior qualifications, organizational ability and vision, we feel it is incumbent on them to act like it. This means running for election, honoring and following procedures outlined in current bylaws, ending petty bickering, refraining from issuing ultimatums, and participating in the process.

Respectfully,

The Troopers Board of Directors

Milward Simpson, President

BAM. A+ from the Troopers.

Seems like they made many points that have been mentioned here.

• Like 1