G7 looking for controlling vote.

We had a custom made set of Kanstul 3 valve G horns.

They were beautiful, but definitely had some notes that required a bit of gymnastics.

I was a drum corps French horn player, first on valve-rotor G instruments, then on two-valve G brass.

I completely agree with your "gymnastics" reference. :tongue:

I am as aware as I think: Many high schools and hs boosters will purchase Low Brass like Bb Baritones and Bb Tubas because of their high individual costs; but not many, if any, of these high schools will purchase a full line of marching 'trumpets' regardless of the key.

Didn't Avon High School ( Indiana, not the Ohio one) buy a complete set of horns from Carolina Crown, then win BOA a couple of years ago? That sounds familiar....

So, I'm not sure how many other groups do this, but there are some that can and do...

What confuses me is why this think they must break off. it wont solve anything... it will just be the end of dci. i wonder if they realize a lot of their members come from other corps that arent in the top 5 or 7 or whatever...

Edited by Tom5587

You are kidding, right? How many times have the BD and Cadets won DCI under those two people? They each have won the most recent two years. Heck, over the last 5 finals, BD won 3 and the Cadets 1..that is 4 out of 5.

wining on the field doesn't always equate to winning in the board room

• Like 3

Completely untrue. And impossible.

No matter what the people you refer as "LOS SIETE" do, they dont have any power over the business practices, recruiting ability, fundraising or any other efforts of any other corps.

Really? The G-7 proposal, which is of course what DIE SIEBEN would vote in as soon as they controlled the votes, didn't suggest largely restricting lower-placing corps to weekday shows only, with the weekends reserved for NA SEACHT? It didn't propose giving each member of SEITSEMAN twice the votes of each of the next dozen corps, with no provision for the possibility of a member of SEDMI losing that power? (Remember: there was a sop thrown to the next tier: three years of top-eight placement meant "permanent" status in the elite--which of course means that they would already have "permanent" status.) Come on. It was "we got ours, now pull up the ladder".

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

wining on the field doesn't always equate to winning in the board room

As I said in a prior post when someone made the same sort of statement...

I was responding to this statement...

"I don’t think the DCI model is broken, I think Gibbs and Hopkins model is broken and won’t work in DCI so perhaps, they need to go"

• Like 1

Didn't Avon High School ( Indiana, not the Ohio one) buy a complete set of horns from Carolina Crown, then win BOA a couple of years ago? That sounds familiar....

So, I'm not sure how many other groups do this, but there are some that can and do...

are you suggesting they won BOA b/c they had Crown's horns?

also, how many bands are there with the budget of Avon? like 10?

and doesn't Crown have strong ties there? Is this like Crown selling to Crown? or someone funneling their band booster money to Crown?

Edited by soccerguy315

First of all....Do any of you guys know how many corps actually sell instruments after the season? Crown has their Crown Store....which basically is a Yamaha Dealer. Colts sell Yamaha horns from the Cadet corps and the A corps. Bluecoats just started selling their horns this past year....maybe. Cadets I think sell their horns. Other than those select groups, I don't see a whole lot of corps selling their horns anymore. They either have loaner or rental horns from their sponsors. So to say this is a great point of revenue is a false statement. Those days are gone as well.

First of all....Do any of you guys know how many corps actually sell instruments after the season? Crown has their Crown Store....which basically is a Yamaha Dealer. Colts sell Yamaha horns from the Cadet corps and the A corps. Bluecoats just started selling their horns this past year....maybe. Cadets I think sell their horns. Other than those select groups, I don't see a whole lot of corps selling their horns anymore. They either have loaner or rental horns from their sponsors. So to say this is a great point of revenue is a false statement. Those days are gone as well.

There are many more corps than you think who sell their horns. Some just don't advertise as much, because they don't always have too. Sometimes their equipment might already be sold before a season has already ended.

There are many more corps than you think who sell their horns. Some just don't advertise as much, because they don't always have too. Sometimes their equipment might already be sold before a season has already ended.

But are they actually selling them? Or is it the company that gives/borrows/loans them to the corps?