DCI BOD Response

can someone tell me who is on the board of directors. thanks

At its annual business meetings held in Rosemont, Ill., on Friday, Jan. 20, the 22 voting members of Drum Corps International elected five corps-affiliated and three unaffiliated directors to oversee the business affairs of the corporation.

Elected to the affiliated posts are

Chairman Mark Arnold (Blue Knights) - 3 years

Vice Chairman Chris Komnick (Madison Scouts) - 3 years

Roman Blenski (Pioneer) - 2 years

Treasurer Fred Morrison (Crossmen) - 2 years

Secretary Tom Spataro (Boston Crusaders) - 1 year

Elected to the unaffiliated posts are:

Wyoming attorney John Masterson - 3 years

Indianapolis-based healthcare administration professional Julie Burns - 2 years

Michigan attorney Mark Stasa - 1 year

years left are as of January 2012, so the 1 year people will be replaced (or re-elected) at the current meeting that is happening now.

source: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=7e7e247e-ce6b-4dae-8b37-5502e7662743

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 1

I'll be honest...if push comes to shove, I'm not sure all 7 bolt DCI

• Like 6

Not for nothing, and I haven't read the entire thread, but at what point to kids realize that, if someone is making money from this gig, why are we paying $3000+ to participate?

Silly thought? Perhaps. But it sounded good to me at 1am

Carry on.

• Like 6

Not for nothing, and I haven't read the entire thread, but at what point to kids realize that, if someone is making money from this gig, why are we paying $3000+ to participate?

Silly thought? Perhaps. But it sounded good to me at 1am

Carry on.

People get paid to teach after school programs, to teach team sports, to teach at Interlochen or Litchfield Jazz, to teach at any number of high-end sporting summer camps. The list goes on and on. It takes money to run all of those things and pay people for their expertise.

Nobody is getting rich on drum corps. It does take money to attract and retain the best possible candidates for the top positions - directors, coordinators, etc. However, if people think any of these people aren't giving back to this activity a zillion times more than what they are paid, think again. Even the people that are creating this sad division give back more than they are paid. We may not like their proposed policies or their tactics, but we have to admire their dedication to their specific organizations and the goals of those organizations.

edited to add: if you break it down to a 45 day tour (for example) that's $67 a day of food, housing, transportation and instruction. That's a pretty good deal compared to what you pay for a 2 week overnight camp.

Edited by TerriTroop
  • Like 1

I agree. While we've heard quite a bit from George Hopkins, who floats all kinds of ideas both good and bad, and Misters Gibbs and Fielder have also been mentioned, three if not four corps have been rather silent, unless I've missed something which is quite possible. There are so many threads on this subject no one can keep track of everything said. Also none of the directors seem to call me and ask me for my advice, and I'm not going to sit by the phone waiting for a call because it's probably not going to happen, so my thoughts are purely speculation. However, if there were to be a split, my guess is that at least three corps would not leave: Phantom, Crown, and Bluecoats. My reasons:

Phantom: has come so close to financial insolvency that while the potential of more revenue from a split may be appealing, there's also too much of a risk if the venture fails.

Crown: Crown does best when audiences go wild and perhaps more than any corps feeds off of the audience, and while many in the stands love Crown, Crown is not the favorite of those who adore the G7 corps. This may just be my hope. If Crown joins the spilt, we'll probably never see them in Boston again since I do not foresee G7 shows in New England. They snubbed BAC which alone would alienate most fans, and a spilt could potentially destroy DCI which would potentially alienate the 27th Lancer alum crowd since George Bonfiglio and 27th played a huge role in the founding of DCI. You have to have people fill the stands to generate the revenues the corps hope to get..

Bluecoats: Judging from the 990's, Bluecoats tend to run a tight ship financially and are known for being prudent. They may take a risk on the field, but they'd never risk the well-being of the organization. Also, I'd love to see this underrated corps win a DCI championship.

When push comes to shove, I understand the desire for more revenues, especially for the California corps who have higher travel expenses. The power grab is unreasonable, but it's human. The belief that the corps that are in the G7 are the most beloved and will always be the best is shortsighted to say thd least, as we have seen with Cavaliers placing 8th, some years where Bluecoats and SCV have been closer to the corps who placed in the 5-9 category rather than the 1-4 group. Also, survival at the expense of other corps is in excusable. I hope there is not a split. DCI would not be the same without the G7, and the G7 alone all season would not be as interesting as the G7 at DCI shows.

... However, if there were to be a split, my guess is that at least three corps would not leave:

It is my sincerest hope that if there is a split, none of those seven corps would leave DCI.

It would simply be a conceptual existential split...with benefits.

And no, I have absolutely no idea what I mean by that...but it makes sense in the deep recesses of my subconsciousness.

• Like 1

is this issue being discussed somewhere prominent on facebook? or just among your facebook social circle? it hasn't been brought up at all in mine (except when I posted about it)

Hop's statement was also posted on Facebook, and there's a DCP Facebook group, too, if you're interested!

Mike

Phantom: has come so close to financial insolvency that while the potential of more revenue from a split may be appealing, there's also too much of a risk if the venture fails

I'll say.

DCI colleague member Corps stuck with Phantom Regiment for over 2 years as they worked off their debt during that financially trying time for them too ( not that long ago either ).

Raise you hand here if you trust You Know Who to unfailingly stick for 2 years with a Corps in his group in financial debt ? Yes, its all a matter of trust. Do I trust my member DCI Corps that I've been associated with in some cases for over 40 years, or a guy that organized a behind closed doors secret meeting 2 years ago to conspire against fellow DCI Corps, and with a proposal at that closed door secret meeting to effectively kill off half the DCI Corps ? Given a choice, I'd trust my fellow DCI member Corps if a split ever came. But thats just me.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I agree.

And dang wouldn't that be interesting for us in the cheap seats!! After all of the "we stand united" rhetoric, if push really came to shove and some of the 7 decide, "you know, we're going to stay with DCI for now. Thanks." Wow!

I agree that I would be shocked if ANY corps leaves DCI. This combine is a symbiotic relationship between the corps, the 'non 7,' and DCI: they all kinda need each other, whether they want to admit it or not. That's why I think DCI is giving them a little bit of freedom, and why ultimately the 7 will stay in DCI.

Just pure conjecture, of course, but we'll see

• Like 1