Would it be smart?

If the merger is between 2 corps in dire financial straits, that's only going to result in one corps in similar financial shape. And if the debts accrued are held against corps assets, the merged corps wouldnt have much to work with.

You'd hope that if corps "a" is struggling but still viable, a merger with corps "b" under similar circumstances could conceivably work. Unfortunately, so many failures have come about due to prolonged issues related to finances. When that occurs, it's going to be difficult to put 2 stuggling corps such as this together to equal one good one.

Hey Michael, speaking of mergers, do you remember the "Thing" merger back in the 70's? What 2 corps merged, and whatever happened to them?

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

I say merge Star with the Bandettes- Call em the BandStars or the Stardettes:)

The Crossmen are the result of a merge and look how well they are doing.

Beat me to it!

Hey Michael, speaking of mergers, do you remember the "Thing" merger back in the 70's? What 2 corps merged, and whatever happened to them?

The Thing was a merger of Milwaukee's Imperials of St. Patrick and Thunderbolts in 1973. The corps wore the uniforms of both corps scattered through the ranks. The next year, Pioneer Container Corporation decided to sponsor the corps, resulting in a set of new uniforms and a new name. Due to the the Imperials of St. Patricks having an Irish theme, Pioneer now has the same.

I was well aware of The Thing, even though I never saw them as I came on board in the fall of 1974. (I did see one drum corps show near where I lived in 1972, after attending a parade with my family.) Members of my corps were still talking about the sight of the mixed uniforms.

• Like 1

The Thing was a merger of Milwaukee's Imperials of St. Patrick and Thunderbolts in 1973. The corps wore the uniforms of both corps scattered through the ranks. The next year, Pioneer Container Corporation decided to sponsor the corps, resulting in a set of new uniforms and a new name. Due to the the Imperials of St. Patricks having an Irish theme, Pioneer now has the same.

I was well aware of The Thing, even though I never saw them as I came on board in the fall of 1974. (I did see one drum corps show near where I lived in 1972, after attending a parade with my family.) Members of my corps were still talking about the sight of the mixed uniforms.

Saw them at AI, I believe - they played up the whole "Thing" thing pretty big. crowd ate it up!

Saw them at AI, I believe - they played up the whole "Thing" thing pretty big. crowd ate it up!

At the time, "The Thing" was also the name given to an soft-top Volkswagen novelty vehicle sold in the US in 1973-1974.

vw-thing.jpg

• Like 1

I think Pio is actually the result of a merger...originally a corps called "The Thing".

Thank you Mike D and Michael Boo for the answer to my question on "The Thing"

I do remember them. I forgot that The Thing was part of Pioneer's heritage (note to Boo: see the well-placed hyphen - apostrophe - in "Pioneer's" !)

You're right about the uniforms. It was pretty interesting with multiple looks - it actually kind of worked! I also recall that their first year out as The Thing, they were surprisingly good.

Thanks for jogging my memory on that one!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

I was just reading the article about the Glassmen DM joining the Blue Devils... While reading it, I got to thinking. If these corps folded or became inactive on their own, why not combine resources with another inactive corps and come back as a combined unit? Sure there would be a certain amount of pride lost, but just think about marching for that corps for a second. If you sit through any corps history night it is amazing to find out where that corps came from. Now combine the history of two corps, and that is the corps you now march for... that would be incredible to be apart of.

There is obviously fiscal benefits as well... but just to be a part of that would be amazing.

I cant help but keep thinking a Glassmen/Southwind combo could only be a good thing. Am I the only one?

well...is the other inactive corps still in possession of equipment or did they sell it?

where is everything based out of and who runs it?

there's a zillion reasons why it could work...and just as many why it could be a bigger mess than two individual failed corps