Blue Devils Announce Show

I love the blue devils but if the source music says anything at all it's that this will be another cookie cutter music program, with millions of things going on in the field.

Same Music, same drill, and a different enough theme to make it "unique & cutting edge" to the judges.

Rinse and repeat execution.

• Like 7

as I have said the past several years, it all depends on the arrangements. if this album, which is cool, is presented "BD style" like the past few years...meh.

• Like 4

I love the blue devils but if the source music says anything at all it's that this will be another cookie cutter music program, with millions of things going on in the field.

Same Music, same drill, and a different enough theme to make it "unique & cutting edge" to the judges.

Rinse and repeat execution.

Wow, if any corps has had rinse and repeat execution, it's certainly hasn't been the Blue Devils.

• Like 6

That would be VERY cool...esp if the whole corps was wearing a costume of some type. This show has a lot of potential, based on the source material.

Hey what's with you of late?

Did you not read all the threads about budget cuts and difficult financing or did you just buy a ton of stock in FJM, Demoulin, Algy, Dance Sophisticates and/or Stansbury?

This is about the 3rd time in a week you've made a comment about corps forsaking uniforms for costumes which change each show (like WGI guards.)

You are beginning to sound like "Pope DanielRay, the Infallible," or are you joining him in a duet of Johnny One Note?

Too often costumes, props, and 80 zillion versions of flash flags are used for masking to hide the lack of substance in musical arrangement, performance, and actual drill.

Like a cow chewing grass to get the last ooze of nutrients out, I prefer substance over masking. We've yet to exhaust our traditions before foresaking them all for flash.

Hey what's with you of late?

Did you not read all the threads about budget cuts and difficult financing or did you just buy a ton of stock in FJM, Demoulin, Algy, Dance Sophisticates and/or Stansbury?

This is about the 3rd time in a week you've made a comment about corps forsaking uniforms for costumes which change each show (like WGI guards.)

You are beginning to sound like "Pope DanielRay, the Infallible," or are you joining him in a duet of Johnny One Note?

Too often costumes, props, and 80 zillion versions of flash flags are used for masking to hide the lack of substance in musical arrangement, performance, and actual drill.

Like a cow chewing grass to get the last ooze of nutrients out, I prefer substance over masking. We've yet to exhaust our traditions before foresaking them all for flash.

I just think the show could be very cool if the whole corps was wearing a show-appropriate costume, a la Surf's "School's Out" show. It can be good too with the uni, and if they intend on keeping the same one as last year, fine. If they intend to change it anyway, I think a costume type of attire could be cheaper than a uni.

I think it will be a fitting tribute to the great Stravinsky. Looking forward to the show! I will also be enjoying my son in the BDB pit this year so that makes it even better. (BDB is doing quite an interesting show as well)

Wow, if any corps has had rinse and repeat execution, it's certainly hasn't been the Blue Devils.

I agree. I think people are mistaking "formulaic" with "cookie cutter." BD's staff have an incredibly successful formula for designing. I would say there shows have been wildly different from year-year, though they do follow a similar formula year-year.

• Like 1

If they don't chop and bop it too much and add a little marching to their program. I will sit back in the stands and cheer as loud as any BD homer! Good Luck!

• Like 1

I agree. I think people are mistaking "formulaic" with "cookie cutter." BD's staff have an incredibly successful formula for designing. I would say there shows have been wildly different from year-year, though they do follow a similar formula year-year.

Well, let's be honest...every corps follows a formula to one extent or another.

• Like 2

I am looking forward to BD's 2013 show. I have the feeling it will connect on many levels. I do hope it's not as out there as the 2012 show.

Speaking of their 2012 show, re: the bird cage at the beginning. Does it contain a Norwegian Blue nailed to the perch?

I never thought of that, because I was distracted while watching that scene by my uncontrollable pining for the fjords.

• Like 3