Easy Chair Adjudicactor: Great Runner's Up Shows

I'm interested in DCP posters sharing examples of non-champion shows that "coulda-woulda-shoulda" won, or otherwise provided a super strong contender against that year's winner.

I'll give you one... 1989 Santa Clara "Phantom of the Opera" versus 1989 Phanton Regiment with their show "New World Symphony". Only 4/10's of point separated first and second. There are those, even today, that insist Phantom's show should have been the winner. That's quite an accomplishment for Phantom as SCV's show is a time-tested classic. For me, it's like 2 different flavors of ice cream: hard to choose just one.

Another could be the 2008 Blue Devils and Phantom. I'd be hard pressed to give any corps the nod over Phantom's Spartacus from that year. So for me, I like the 1989 example. I've watched both Santa Clara and Phantom from 1989 a couple of times recently and can certainly see why some folks prefer Phantom. These 2 shows are a great one-two punch to get some drum corps on - and even do a little judging from your easy chair.

So, please share some of those great non-champion shows that are must-see, fitting the above description. Name the corps and the year and any comments you'd like to share. It'll make for some fun Fan Network watching.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

2007 The Cadets vs. Blue Devils

Two excellently designed shows and both performed incredibly well. The Cadets may have had one of the most difficult shows in DCI history. While I personally feel that they should have won, Blue Devils were certainly a worthy champion! :thumbup:

Crown 2009 and 2012 definitely deserve a mention. I don't think the spreads justify the difference between the shows (especially this past year), though I don't necessarily disagree with the placements. One that I personally really enjoy as well is Phantom 2006, and any other year that show would have won, but Cavies that year were just crazy amazing. It was still remarkably close though and really could've gone either way depending on how you look at it.

Edited by SCTuba
  • Like 3

93 Star of Indiana.

Great examples so far! Keep 'em coming. I'll throw 2 more into the mix from 1995. How about The Cadets of Bergen County. Their show, titled "An American Quintet" or the 3rd place Blue Devils from that same year with "Carpe Noctem". Either the Cadets or BD could have taken home the hardware and no one would have blinked . . . except they ran into the Cavaliers that year with "The Planets Redux" - and the Cavies would not be denied.

If you're looking for a great 2,3 punch to go along the with the victor, check these shows out!

Edited by drumcorpsfever

Great examples so far! Keep 'em coming. I'll throw 2 more into the mix from 1995. How about The Cadets of Bergen County. Their show, titled "An American Quintet" or the 3rd place Blue Devils from that same year with "Carpe Noctem". Either the Cadets or BD could have taken home the hardware and no one would have blinked . . . except they ran into the Cavaliers that year with "The Planets Redux" - and the Cavies would not be denied.

If you're looking for a great 2,3 punch to go along the with the victor, check these shows out!

1980... 27th Lancers.

In the end, BD probably deserved to win in a nailbiter over 27th ( by under 4 tenths ), as they were very strong once again that year, but perhaps if they used today's judging system maybe 27th might have found their 4 tenths... who knows. 27th had a terrific visual program for its day.... and 50 years from now people will still marvel at how good the ladies in their Guard were.

• Like 3