Rumblings from CADETLAND

found on the web and previously mentioned on the All Age thread because 8 other AA corps will be there.

Perry 200 Grand Patriotic (Memorial Day) Parade

Perry Square

Erie, PA 16501

On Saturday, May 25, 2013 the Perry 200 Grand Patriotic Parade will be in held indowntown Erie at 1:00 p.m. The 1.8 mile route will travel east on 12th Street fromCherry to 3rd and State Street through downtown Erie. This historic parade will feature over 20 bands, including a Mummer's String Band from Philadelphia, bands from Canada, and the 10-time World Champion Junior Corps-the Cadets. Numerous floats and marching units featuring Erie's diverseethnic communities and civic organizations are also expected, as well as re-enactment groups, antique cars, plus much more! Also, as often seen in the Rose Bowl or Macy's Parades, the Grand Patriotic Parade will feature giant helium-filled cartoon and patriotic balloons, which haven't been seen in Erie in nearly 18 years! Governor Tom Corbett will lead the parade as Grand Marshal, along with Erie MayorJoe Sinnott, County Executive Barry Grossman, and other national, state, and localpolitical officials. The parade is expected to be the largest and most diverse celebration ever seen on the streets of Erie! An anticipated crowd of around 100,000 people will be in attendance

A video from yesterday's event. The corps is at the 12:00 mark

http://youtube.com/#/watch?v=8yhWs5N0OuM

A video from yesterday's event. The corps is at the 12:00 mark

http://youtube.com/#/watch?v=8yhWs5N0OuM

I am embarrassed for the Cadets. What I see is not exclusive to them - other units are equally guilty of the same thing.

Your corps brass/percussion sections looks great. You represent the uniform well. You march as if you care about the uniform and in turn the corps.

The guard on the other hand looks "shlepperific.". People out of step, walking as if it's a summer stroll. At what point does the guard represent the unit as well? Will they continue to be an afterthought in the vein of "their importance really is in the show and not on the parade route?"

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 4

I am embarrassed for the Cadets. What I see is not exclusive to them - other units are equally guilty of the same thing.

Your corps brass/percussion sections looks great. You represent the uniform well. You march as if you care about the uniform and in turn the corps.

The guard on the other hand looks "shlepperific.". People out of step, walking as if it's a summer stroll. At what point does the guard represent the unit as well? Will they continue to be an afterthought in the vein of "their importance really is in the show and not on the parade route?"

Don't think the Cadets are embarrassed by the amount of cash they got to "schlep" around during a parade... :rolleyes:/>

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 3

Most of the WC Corps in parades have the guards more like cheerleaders interacting with the crowd vs. the old days where they were a precision military unit marching. Entertainment vs. tradition, an individual taste I suspect. Reports from spring training are the 2013 Cadets will be far from shleppish or embarrassing.

Edited by newjerseycorpguy
  • Like 7

Edited by boxingfred

Most of the WC Corps in parades have the guards more like cheerleaders interacting with the crowd vs. the old days where they were a precision military unit marching. Entertainment vs. tradition, an individual taste I suspect.

Maybe there is something I just don't understand. Perhaps someone can help me with this.

I always thought Memorial Day and associated parades were an occasion to remember the men and women who served in the armed forces who gave their lives for the good of the country.

I know other parades like the 4th Of July, Thanksgiving and Santa Clause parades are more "feel good" occasions. I just thought because of the idea behind the holiday that an activity whose roots and existence are so closely tied to the military would behave differently.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 3

Maybe there is something I just don't understand. Perhaps someone can help me with this.

I always thought Memorial Day and associated parades were an occasion to remember the men and women who served in the armed forces who gave their lives for the good of the country.

I know other parades like the 4th Of July, Thanksgiving and Santa Clause parades are more "feel good" occasions. I just thought because of the idea behind the holiday that an activity whose roots and existence are so closely tied to the military would behave differently.

I though this was NOT a Memorial day parade. Had something to do with the 200th anniversary of something or other to do with Admiral Perry and the War of 1812.

• Like 2

I though this was NOT a Memorial day parade. Had something to do with the 200th anniversary of something or other to do with Admiral Perry and the War of 1812.

I apologize to The Cadets and their fans for my error.

This parade commemorates the 200 anniversary of the American Navy under Admiral Perry defeating the British Navy forces on Lake Erie during the War of 1812.

Memorial Day began as a day of remembering the veterans of the Civil War (both North and South forces) with the widows and families decorating the graves (where found) of those lost in battle.

Over the years, the consolation of the Civil War survivors was extended to remember all those lost in wars in which American forces fought. Living Veterans were remembered more on Veterans Day, 11/11 which commemorates the signing of the Armstice on the eleventh day of the eleventh month at the eleventh hour. Unfortunately, these days of civic remembrance got turned into three day weekends glamorized by mega-sales at the shopping mall and Memorial Day began to mark the beginning of summer and beach season. Even the date of Memorial Day (May 30th) was shifted in 1968 to accomodate this less funereal thinking.

Since the attack of 9/11 (2001) there has been a greater emphasis to use Memorial Day to remember the those who have lost their lives in battle; by an extension, the troops overseas and their familes here are remembered. By a logical conclusion, although not entitled a Memorial Day parade, the Erie parade commemorates what American troops were able to do to defend our nation's safety; some unfortunately died in that battle.

No need to apologize for your sentiment that frivolity is not always appropriate, Lincoln V. Of all corps, the Cadets are usually the most traditional when it comes to protocol.

Your comment about color guard propriety is further marked by the difference between how WGI and DCI mark their finales. Color guard kids are raised in a different culture.

The dance teams which wave flags today are not the honor guards who came home from battles in WW I, II, Korea, Viet Nam or the Gulf conflicts and who did much to structure our history of drum corps protocol and competition.. I fault not the kids but the instructors for lacking propriety and giving proper education. Some times connecting with the crowd is appropriate. Some times some somberness is appropriate. What happens during the playing of the National Anthem, Taps, or passing the reviewing stand is different from other moments. Not a right or wrong, just a difference.

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 1