Bluecoats 2013

Totally agree, sometimes it seems patriotic shows seem to me to say"If you don't love our show, you don't love America" like a guilt trip.....but what they've done here is refreshing and rather clever!Good Job BLOO!

I thoroughly enjoyed 90 per cent of Bluecoats show, first half was much stronger than the second. But I have confidence their staff will tighten what is too loose in places and re-set what is too rigid.

Was it four different times that American flag formations or guard equiptment appeared? I find it a bit ironic. While others are calling it a re-freshing note on Americana, I am laughing that Jon Vanderkoff, drill writer, is Canadian born coming from Kitchner-Waterloo in Ontario where his Dad directed the Ventures and he marched Dutch Boy before coming south to march Garfield as a sop in the dynasty years. And isn't Doug Thrower from Mississauga, Ontario? When you consider that John Philips, chief judge for DCI, is also a Canadian from Ontario, one begins to see where those different perspectives derive. Canadians see more than just hockey rinks, ha, ha.

One of the reasons I like this show ("...to look for America") is because it doesn't hit you over the head with every common and tired patriotic theme we have heard in the past. I have grown tired of marching shows which utilize every clichéd American theme. In doing so, such designers use little creativity and hide behind a contrived sympathetic connection to the audience.

Honestly, I bet most people when they first heard the show concept were thinking that they would be witness to this:

America the Beautiful

Fanfare for the Common Man

Coming to America

The Statue of Liberty

9/11

Mount Rushmore

Lincoln or Washington, or both

Uncle Sam

Although all are great and tremendously iconic elements of the history of the United States, it is refreshing to see a new take on a "patriotic" theme that isn't necessarily nationalistic, but rather focuses on common people and the life experiences that bind them.

Kudos, Blueocats. You have found a beautiful way to challenge personal paradigms of what a show about America can be.

Upon hearing the theme of their show, I never thought that would be the type of show, and I agree that would be a pretty cheesy show. However, I don't quite see the theme coming through. I mentioned earlier in the thread that IMHO they could swap out the title of the show with anything else that they want, and the rep would probably fit just as well.

This isn't a slap on them - I'm just legitimately curious as to the design intentions and how the music ties in at all with the show.

Canadians see more than just hockey rinks, ha, ha.

They sure didn't see many of them in this year's playoffs.... :tongue:

• Like 1

One of the reasons I like this show ("...to look for America") is because it doesn't hit you over the head with every common and tired patriotic theme we have heard in the past. I have grown tired of marching shows which utilize every clichéd American theme. In doing so, such designers use little creativity and hide behind a contrived sympathetic connection to the audience.

Honestly, I bet most people when they first heard the show concept were thinking that they would be witness to this:

America the Beautiful

Coming to America

The Statue of Liberty

9/11

Mount Rushmore

Uncle Sam

Although all are great and tremendously iconic elements of the history of the United States, it is refreshing to see a new take on a "patriotic" theme that isn't necessarily nationalistic, but rather focuses on common people and the life experiences that bind them.

Kudos, Blueocats. You have found a beautiful way to challenge personal paradigms of what a show about America can be.

Yep, when I first heard the theme I rolled my eyes and thought to myself "this is gonna be like every other patriotic show I've ever seen". I'm very happy to be wrong. I love the show and I really want them to medal with it. I also like the uniforms a lot more for this show.

• Like 1

America the Beautiful

Coming to America

The Statue of Liberty

9/11

Mount Rushmore

Uncle Sam

What a great way of putting it. I'll admit that's what I thought before seeing the graphic, which gave me hesitation, and then I saw the show, which is just fantastic in person.

One of my favorite parts of this show so far is that drum cadence coming back in the drum book every now and then. Tasteful and clever.

• Like 1

Is the man in the gabardine suit a spy?