Fan Network 2013

Also, it's 2013 - it's time there was a mobile interface.

Mike

There is! http://dci.thefannetwork.org/mobile/

Edit- Also, if you replace "DCI" with "wgi" the mobile site works for that as well.

Only downfall is live streams are unable to be seen on mobile, iPad, etc.

Edited by loopin' froot loops
  • Like 3

Also, it's 2013 - it's time there was a mobile interface.

Mike

iPhones and iPads should be able to access the regular site. I've always been able to.

Now that DCI has announced a return to the I& E competition at Finals, would anybody else like to see DCI broadcast this event ( either live or on tape ) on Fan Network ?

There is some great talent on display at this event, even on the instrumentation that is not the contestant's primary DCI on field instrumentation. I'd like to watch the event, even if DCI only decides to rebroadcast a portion of the contestents.

Anybody else that subscribes to Fan Network feel the same ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Now that DCI has announced a return to the I& E competition at Finals, would anybody else like to see DCI broadcast this event ( either live or on tape ) on Fan Network ?

I imagine the logistics would be pretty tricky. However, I think it would be cool if they did a live broadcast of all of the winner. Or even if they recorded everybody & then either put up the videos on demand, or put up just the Champions on demand

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I thought I'd throw out some information for you. A couple of points... first, I no longer draw a paycheck from DCI. It gives me a little more freedom to say what I want here, but it won't be a laundry airing. The Fan Network is something I'm proud of, and I've been involved with as a volunteer and employee going back 9 seasons. This will be my first as a non-involved observer.

So let me throw a few things out there. Again, I am speaking as a "civilian". Things change, but here's how I see things:

First, about the calendar... You can go back several years. and you'll see the same complaint about a "heads-up" and "what are they going to do". It's common because people here are excited. Most customers aren't. I moved the expiration date back to the last Thursday (or so) of May so we didn't tease people. I also am rather proud of making it one subscription level. It was quite a debate for years, and I finally got my way on that one. Expect the same thing this year. I'd be shocked if it wasn't within the 65-70 range.

As for the pricing conspiracy, there's not much to it. The decision on how to price the product has been based on years of sales. It's simply set at what brings in the most revenue. If that was $20 a sub or $400, that's what it would be. Data says it's about 65. And unlike many subscriptions, it was a business decision to not auto-renew. That was mostly an ethical decision, but it also would have been more problem than it's worth. But for all the anxiety, you'll have between May 28 and Stanford to purchase and not lapse, so to speak. That's when the marketing is most effective, so I hear.

I&E... I always loved I&E, all the way back to when I first marched in 1992. One of my highlights was being emcee on the main stage in San Antonio last year. I honestly believed that was going to be the last one, so I was sad, but I'd at least be able to say I helped. It was a well-spent day off. But the main problem with I&E on TFN was it was never organized well for "tv". We tried it one year... I want to say 2008. We put a camera on the main stage, but there were large gaps of time where no one performed. In order to make it work, they'd have to re-work how they schedule the event, which is done by having tour managers show up and stand in line, slot kids in any position, and that's that. If they take a "main stage" seriously, it could be a very cool event. And let's be honest; those drum solos belong on YouTube... that's all about whether the directors take it seriously, or if you have 8 wc corps participate. When it was a thing, it was cool. More kids would participate if it was broadcasted. As a fan, I'd love to see the number of ensembles that compete (not no shows) be the first tie-breaker.

Some miscellaneous things...

Emailing support at DCI is rarely going to move the needle... they'll answer you, but the odds are they don't have the answer either. The way most marketing goes, customer support finds out the same time customers do.

HLS streaming, aka iPad compatibility, is something that isn't a technical barrier. I have eluded to it in the past. Last year, we could have done it technically, but it wasn't financially feasible at all. They will look at it again this year, and make a financial decision whether it makes sense. You might not like hearing that, but transcoding would have cost tens of thousands of dollars per season. The streams aren't 5 minutes; they're 5 hours long. As soon as there is a reasonable pricepoint, they'll do it.

Oh, and about the new "can of paint" for the site... there isn't really a delicate way of putting this. Everyone agrees there should be one, but they can't find a company to take it over that makes financial sense, and they don't have the incentive to do it themselves again; sales won't drop because it looks dated.

I hope this offers some insight and perspective. Whenever I was involved with these streams, I really did pay attention to your comments. Just remember that the team there has as much reason to make things work as you have reason to want the interwebs to work. Sometimes, the Series of Tubes doesn't cooperate, but the "hd"-ish (960-wide) broadcasting is only going to get better as technology develops. The level of quality is one of the highest you'll see for a live event, and I'm proud of having helped get to that level. The team will continue to get this medium better and better.

Anything else I can answer?

Thanks so much for the info. Its appreciated. Don't be a stranger here regarding Fan Network, and what going on there. For those that are not current subscribers to DCI's Fan Network let me put in a thoroughly shameless plug for Fan Network. I love it... even with its occasional oftentimes unavoidable technical hiccups and all. Its currently priced fair in my opinion for the values derived. I love watching the live shows from around the country, and the archives access to all the Finalist shows back to the beginnings of DCI are great to have access to. Its one of those ideas that DCI has come up with that can only be deemed a creative success for fans of Drum Corps, imo. Thanks for your efforts to bring pleasure to our abilities to see and watch these shows from afar when time and money may not permit it.

Edited by BRASSO

Hey Drumcat! Thanks for all the insider information & all your informative help through the past few years.

My only other question for you (if you can answer it) is: Are you able to give us a ballpark figure for how many subscribers the fn had/has? I'm just curious as to just how many (or few) of us are waiting on this service each season. Thanks!

Thanks for the insight Drumcat--though I have always been a huge supporter of the fan network, even hosted viewing of shows at my house. I cant manage to complain that I get to see so many live shows in a decent quality all around the US when I have so few "local" (less than 6 hours away) shows for a relatively decent price. I also cant help but think back to the day when I was lucky to see one show a year with maybe a handful of corps and had to call into a number to get scores! LOL Will it get even better? yeah it always does! However for what you have helped to provide so far--thank you so much! I know Ill truly appreciate this year as I cant make finals!

1368288428[/url]' post='3260657']

Hey Drumcat! Thanks for all the insider information & all your informative help through the past few years.

My only other question for you (if you can answer it) is: Are you able to give us a ballpark figure for how many subscribers the fn had/has? I'm just curious as to just how many (or few) of us are waiting on this service each season. Thanks!

• Like 1