Fan Network 2013

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. I've tried to search for the answer but haven't turned up anything. Is it possible to stream both live performances and VOD onto a home theatre TV? I've had the Fan Network for several years and have watched them on my home computer. I don't currently own a regular TV. But I'll be buying one soon and I'm hoping I will be able to watch the Fan Network on it. My second question is, if it's possible to stream to a regular television set, would I need a "smart TV" or will a regular non-web enabled TV work with the addition of something like a Roku, Apple TV, Wifi Blu-ray, etc?

Thanks,

Mark

If you have a spare HDMI connection on your television and a laptop or computer with HDMI video ( and an HDMI cable), then you can just connect the computing device to your TV, select that source, go to the fan network, and watch it on your TV. That's what we've done for 10 years. Basically you're using a nice 1080P ( or 720P) HDTV as a computer monitor.

If your TV is connected to stereo equipment, then you can get good sound too.

All new, decent quality HDTVs will have at least a couple HDMI ports, as it is the current standard used by everything HD.

Alternatively, if your TV has a VGA connection and your computer also has a VGA connection, then hook it up that way. This is slightly lower video quality compared to HDMI, but still better than standard definition TV. With VGA you'll also have to hook up the audio out from your computer to the audio in on your TV or stereo, which could get a little tricky depending on the type of input connectors. Many TVs will have a 3.5mm phone connector ( also called headphone plugs, or mini-stereo plugs) and your computer will have the same type of connector, so you'll need a cable with that on both ends. Sometimes, you'll need a cable with a 3.5mm phone connector on one end and an RCA connector the other end. This is useful for connecting from a computer to a stereo. Some older HDTVs have RCA connectors.

This is older computer technology and many older HDTVs and some new HDTVs have VGA (video), 3.5mm phone connectors (audio), and/or RCA (audio) connections for backwards compatibility. HDMI is the way to go if possible...

DCI has no app for Roku, AppleTV, Boxee, or any of those devices. No SmartTVs have a DCI Fan Network App. You should just hook up a computer/laptop to a newer HDTV and enjoy! It's really pretty easy, especially with HDMI. You'll also be able to watch any video that you can get on a browser ( Amazon Prime, Netflix, Youtube) on your TV without the need to buy an Boxee Box, AppleTV, Roku, or any of that...

thumbup.gif

Edited by jjeffeory

HDMI cable is the simplest and most reliable method. Every TV sold today should have that. If your computer doesn't have HDMI out, but has DVI out you can still work something out with a DVI->HDMI cable (since these standards are compatible) and then you have to run your audio from your PC to your TV or stereo somehow, or just listen through the laptop speakers.

If you have a Mac and you get a $99 Apple TV you can just mirror what's on your Mac onto the TV over the network. Works pretty well as long as your AppleTV and Mac have good network connections in your house. That's the easiest solution, but again you need to have a Mac.

But, whatever TV you get it can work. Some TVs have VGA in, too. There are lots of ways to handle this. So when you get the TV, come back and post here and you'll probably get some decent advice.

just went to the FN to check out the Denver (live feed) show and it's no where to be found ...

Interesting. It was still there this morning but yeah I get the same thing. Used to they wouldn't take it down till the VODs were up. Although the Stanford stream was up well past when the VODs were posted. We're also owed VODs from the Beanpot Invitational I believe.

Yeah, ashevillemurphy and skywhopper are correct. Denver is MIA for the moment and that's not FN SOP, LOL. I didn't get a chance to see BK yet... not a slight, just going in order, and they were last at that show. I'm sure all the Denver videos will be back soon.

just went to the FN to check out the Denver (live feed) show and it's no where to be found ...

The same has happened for me and according to their own FAQ...

"I missed a performance! Can I go back to watch it?"

"Yes, you can rewind and fast forward within the webcast. Hover over the video, and a bar will appear. Click the time you want to jump to. In addition, the live webcast will remain up for at least 72 hours after the event."

The video on demand (VOD) for the Beanpot from July 5th is certainly taking a long time to be published...well past 48 hour turn around for sure...It's almost Minneapolis...LOL

• Like 1

Denver is back ....

and now, on the FN "schedule" tab of the LIVE events and VOD, they (whoever they are) have added "07/06/2013 - 07/16/2013" beside both ...

why would the viewing time for VOD be limited to those 10 days ...