Fan Network 2013

Denver is back ....

and now, on the FN "schedule" tab of the LIVE events and VOD, they (whoever they are) have added "07/06/2013 - 07/16/2013" beside both ...

why would the viewing time for VOD be limited to those 10 days ...

The constant quick pause on anything on FN is driving me nuts, so I'll have to wait until we get back home where we might have more wi-fi juice.

Usually I am a big supporter of the Fan Network, but I gotta call a spade a spade. Just tried to view the vids from the Beanpot Invitational in Lynn from this past weekend. First, it took almost 5 days after the event to get these up. Now, since it was a holiday weekend, I can actually understand that.

My problem is the extremely poor sound quality on the videos. Anything above a mezzo-forte is distorted to the point of being un-listenable. I realize that there was a heavy wind throughout the show, but the occasional wind interference is not the issue. I honestly could not listen past the first hit of the Cadets show.

That said, the sound is ok on the Denver videos (though still a bit distorted), and I remember that the sound quality from the show in Quincy MA was also poor. Just hope that this is not going to be a trend throughout, since I have heartily recommended FN to a LOT of my friends...

I'm pretty sure drumcat last year said something along the lines that they hire different groups when there is more than one show they are taping on one night. I'm pretty sure it was the same group who did both of the shows with the poor audio quality. So it's not the usual video and sound crew.

They should try to have standards across the board though... and it doesn't take much to turn some knobs down. It's like they set of the mics set a level and just didn't listen to it once the corps started playing.

I feel like things are not running as smoothly though getting videos up... live streams disappearing for a couple of days without the VOD being put up for that show.

The live streams so far have been great though... except for some audio issues during Crown's show at Stanford.. and audio issues at Denver earlier on which was fixed asap. Let's hop tonight's live broadcast goes well!

It would do them a lot of good to communicate to customers (us) what the quality standards are (if any) and share the challenges post show. I realize it's a moving target moving from venue to venue but the least they could do is give insight. It doesn't have to be much. Just let us know you're working on it and you value giving us a quality product.

It's easy to be patient when you have a little knowledge of what's going on.

I'm pretty sure drumcat last year said something along the lines that they hire different groups when there is more than one show they are taping on one night. I'm pretty sure it was the same group who did both of the shows with the poor audio quality. So it's not the usual video and sound crew.

They should try to have standards across the board though... and it doesn't take much to turn some knobs down. It's like they set of the mics set a level and just didn't listen to it once the corps started playing.

I feel like things are not running as smoothly though getting videos up... live streams disappearing for a couple of days without the VOD being put up for that show.

The live streams so far have been great though... except for some audio issues during Crown's show at Stanford.. and audio issues at Denver earlier on which was fixed asap. Let's hop tonight's live broadcast goes well!

HDMI cable is the simplest and most reliable method. Every TV sold today should have that. If your computer doesn't have HDMI out, but has DVI out you can still work something out with a DVI->HDMI cable (since these standards are compatible) and then you have to run your audio from your PC to your TV or stereo somehow, or just listen through the laptop speakers.

If you have a Mac and you get a $99 Apple TV you can just mirror what's on your Mac onto the TV over the network. Works pretty well as long as your AppleTV and Mac have good network connections in your house. That's the easiest solution, but again you need to have a Mac.

But, whatever TV you get it can work. Some TVs have VGA in, too. There are lots of ways to handle this. So when you get the TV, come back and post here and you'll probably get some decent advice.

This is the set up I have...how does it work streaming through a wireless router (from the Mac to the TV)? What I mean is, how is the stream quality? Does it freeze up?

Edited by JKT90

This is the set up I have...how does it work streaming through a wireless router (from the Mac to the TV)? What I mean is, how is the stream quality? Does it freeze up?

Well, I haven't tried it myself, but just in terms of the bandwidth required, and my experience streaming things from my iPhone to my AppleTV, it will be fine so long as you have a good connection to your wireless. Your computer should tell you in the menu where the connection is chosen how strong it is. The connection to your computer is the most important, since it'll have stuff going both ways.

Best thing to try would be to run some of the VODs through this setup first, and if it's choppier on the TV than it is on your computer, then if you have any control over where your router is, try moving things around until you find the best signal. But in general unless you have a big house and you're far away from the router or you have an old house with plaster walls, you shouldn't have any trouble with the signal, in my experience. Good luck, I hope it works for you!

Well, I haven't tried it myself, but just in terms of the bandwidth required, and my experience streaming things from my iPhone to my AppleTV, it will be fine so long as you have a good connection to your wireless. Your computer should tell you in the menu where the connection is chosen how strong it is. The connection to your computer is the most important, since it'll have stuff going both ways.

Best thing to try would be to run some of the VODs through this setup first, and if it's choppier on the TV than it is on your computer, then if you have any control over where your router is, try moving things around until you find the best signal. But in general unless you have a big house and you're far away from the router or you have an old house with plaster walls, you shouldn't have any trouble with the signal, in my experience. Good luck, I hope it works for you!

Thanks. I have a solid signal to the MAC, and it streams movies with no issues, just wasn't sure how it worked with FN based on some of the stuff i've read on here.

Freudian slip???

tongue.gif

Hahaha.. you caught me!

It was a typo... I saw it as I hit post... was going to go back and fix it.. but then thought it was relevant to tonight's show. Not to mention.. besides the corps on the field.. he isn't having much luck with the logistics this year. Every day a new bus problem! Just don't let the dark cloud rain over the broadcast Hop! (And better luck on the busses!)

We have a first-gen Apple TV, so we can't mirror.

Instead, we run a mini display port-to-HDMI cable from a MacBook pro directly into the HDTV, with a separate audio cable running from the headphone input into a secondary audio input on the TV.

It's a major league pain, but the quality is pretty impressive nonetheless.