Which Corps Was the Loudest?

Just realized a more important fact: The "loudest", as recorded by any meter, especially a phone app, will be greatly impacted by the amps on the sidelines, rendering any comparison not meaningful.

Don't know of any way to compensate for the +10 dial on the sidelines, either.

Just realized a more important fact: The "loudest", as recorded by any meter, especially a phone app, will be greatly impacted by the amps on the sidelines, rendering any comparison not meaningful.

Don't know of any way to compensate for the +10 dial on the sidelines, either.

I'm the one who did this for about 2 seasons. Just some general comments:

• The biggest problem I had with the pit was not really the amps, but someone smacking the concert bass drum. That would quickly jump up the dB count (especially during Prelims when I sat in the "blast zone"), unless you had a meter which would take a rolling average.
  • Someone mentioned a phone app. For gee whiz kind of numbers, that would probably be fine. But the microphone in your typical smart phone would not be a good as the mic in even my cheap Radio Shack sound meter.
  • As I mentioned in previous seasons, the guys who can give you the best numbers are the ones recording for DCI.
  • Finally, since I have a son aging out this year, I think I'll just sit back and enjoy all the performances this season. If someone want to continue this endeavor, go for it. Let me know if you have any questions.

later,

randy

That is the first example that always comes to my mind. The unleashing of that power in the opening fanfare of "Walk Him Up the Stairs" was scary. The company front in "Let it Be Me" was nothing short of mind-blowing.

I always think of the VA Beach show - first meeting of Bayonne and Spirit in 1978 - going into that show there was a lot of public hype about those 2 very good hornlines (as we called them BITD). Bayonne had really put on a terrific performance and I was rushing back to hear Spirit, whom I had never heard before. There were still kids around me from Bayonne's brass line when Spirit started their show. The opening solo was sweet and really portended some nice things, but then the first chord of "Walk Him Up" exploded and that intro just wailed on and my jaw must have dropped to the track as I was conscious of the Bayonne kids looking at my reaction with concern. I was trying to look nonchalant but it was impossible. I had never heard a sustained sound like that - ever.

We edged them that night overall, but it was clear they were the real deal. Lot of great brass sections that year, and I'm proud of that Bridgemen brass section, which I consider one of their best ever.

Never forget that moment though. What a sound!

Blue Devils 2012. I remember at the Stanford show I felt a physical jolt from their first attack. God almighty.

Let the hate begin.

• Like 1

Blue Devils 2012. I remember at the Stanford show I felt a physical jolt from their first attack. God almighty.

Let the hate begin.

No hating here. I agree. It's interesting that the Blue Devils have resisted the mega tuba lines of 16 or 20 in recent years in favor of their standard 12. Their brass lines are extremely loud.

Let the hate begin.

I don't know about everyone else but I see more BD fans expecting haters more than there are actual haters of BD??? I mean jeez!

• Like 2

Let the hate begin.

Based on what I heard in section 240 at finals, Blue Devils, yes. Much of that volume was due to those new hybrid bari/euphs. They reminded me of a G bari line, in that I could feel the bari line push against my chest. Finally. I haven't felt that in a decade.

Caught Carolina Crown's horn line at field level, 50-yard line, in 2009... when I was doing the PA gig at the Giants Stadium show in August.

Perhaps not quite the loudest ever... that honor might go to the Spirit lines circa 1978-81, who #### near could knock a wall down, but '09 Crown certainly had my bones and teeth rattling. LOL. They were bringing the heat, big time.

And, to date, that Crown line is the best drum corps brass section I have ever heard, in 45-plus years of being around the activity.

• Like 2