DCI in Santa Clara 2017?

I live a couple blocks away from the new stadium.

It's right behind California's Great America (amusement park currently owned be Cedar Fair, just got a new coaster).

It's right across the street from the Santa Clara Convention Center (hello I&E). The Convention Center is connected to the Hyatt (hello DCI HQ for championships).

There's a light rail system that runs on Tasman Dr. (the street between the stadium and the convention center), and an Amtrak station very close by.

It's also 10-15 minutes away from San Jose International.

Buck Shaw Stadium at Santa Clara University could be ideal for Open Championships - maybe 20 minutes away. I don't think the new MLS Earthquakes stadium would work since it is being built right across from the airport.

:blink:/>/>

really... :thumbdown:/>/> :thumbdown:/>/> :thumbdown:/>/>

That's a pretty rude generalization, at best. As someone who was at 2007 Championships week in Pasadena, I didn't see a lot of that stuff you proclaim. I know you're probably just trolling and I shouldn't take the bait, but if you're going to make asinine over-generalizations perhaps your memory is a bit foggy and you forgot that the crowd was actually kinda surprisingly friendly towards Cadets Finals night.

edit: hey I got some negatives but no actual intelligent reply - yea idiotic lack of discourse!!

For what it's worth, I was there as well and don't recall a lot of the stuff he claimed either, much less this outright hatred towards Eastern corps.

• Like 1

And the way the drunk and marijuana high California crowd booed the Eastern corps, especially the Cadets who complained about the poor field conditions in that dilapilated, not handicap accessible facility with bathrooms almost two blocks away in the parking lots was one DCI too many in many fans perspectives.

My point was that the Western corps do not even support each other as witnessed by their feeble assent to Cascades, Oregon Crusaders, and Spokane Thunder according to their annual travel treks in the West. And for the record, it is at least one Eastern corps and one Midwestern corps each year going coast to coast including the Northwest. Check the records and stop being so narcissistic.

I was in that crowd at the Rose Bowl and the east coast corps received a great crowd response, especially Crown. I will say that the people who were booing Cadets were doing so not because of their east coast roots, but because of the design of their show. I was not a fan of the Cadets non-stop talk fest either, but refrained from voicing my displeasure. The Cadets had a legitimate gripe with regard to the field conditions, but that will be a non-issue with the Niner's new stadium. Your comment about the CA crowd being drunk and high was laughable at best. Besides, a large portion of the crowd was from out of state!

DCI, PLEASE COME BACK TO CA!!!

Edited by jmc5682
  • Like 1

Some people assume that what's true of the 100 people closest to them--they loved corps x, they hated corps y, they were drunk, they were rude, etc. etc.--is true of the other 10,000+ people in the stadium they had almost no contact with all night. I was in Pasadena all three nights stone sober and unaware of any higher percentage of people at the stadium being drunk or stoned than at any other drum corps show. I'm sure there were people who were, and it's too bad they significantly wrecked the time of some others here, but none of this has anything to do with whether or not California should get another DCI championship someday.

• Like 2

given the size crowd DCi draws, the side with the suites may be better...it'll look more full

It would look more full, but would it work? It's my understanding that plenty of people buy tickets, and just pick and chose which performances they want to watch. In other words: the stands look lees full, not because less tickets were sold, but because people often filter in and out between groups. If that's the case, then wouldn't having less seats available to begin with potentially cut into DCI's profit?

• Like 1

Imo, DCI is committed to Indianapolis and vice versa be it 20k or 5k in attendance.

I know a lot of fans/alumni who have or had attended Finals for years and they have slowly given up on Indy be it the fact it is in Indy every year. There is only so much to see and do there or anyplace if you have gone for at least three years in a row.

I have noticed DCI is admitting and aware of this by constantly attempting to market new ideas to hopefully get undecided fans to attend. Some of these PR moves which actually are not all bad ideas include:

The "official warmup area" in the park a mile or so from the stadium.

The non top 12 parade on Saturday mornings which is been discontinued if I recall correctly.

The DCI "2 pack seating package" which will get you the best seats for semis and finals, but for years and years, you needed to buy the Super 3 package the previous fall to guarantee great seats. This tells me there is a lot more great seats available than in years pre Indy. I know people who have bought this package and a lot of them are very happy with this package because they do not want to attend three nights of performances and they have usually had better seats for semis than finals.

Last year, The world's biggest alumni party after semis which I attended for free thru a director, but as I thought about it, it wasn't that big a deal as there was just as many great gatherings going on at the bars and hotels near the stadium. I remember thinking this wouldn't have been worth paying for to get in.

At the parade last year, DCI types were handing out flyers along the route. It pretty much stated to bring the flyer to the stadium with your local ID and get into finals for $10. Where those seats were located, I have no clue. But as with any business vying for entertainment dollars, just get em in the door and they should spend money on parking, concessions and souvies. Not a bad ploy to make the stadium look better attended than in previous years and at a huge discounted rate.

I had told friends prior to 2004 that I thought I would never see DCI in Denver or points west in my lifetime again. But DCI did indeed made that happen and gave us another tease by going to Pasadena in 2007. But now that DCI has their HQ's in Indy and has modeled a touring schedule that doesn't need to change much from year to year (i.e. Denver, Minneapolis, San Antonio, Atlanta and Allentown on regular scheduled weekends) once again, I do not see DCI wanting or needing to move finals. As long as the PR dept continues to market new concepts to entice newbies to the activity and at the same time discourage the life long fans little by little from wanting to make an umpteenth trip to Indy, and as long as they make a modest profit from the other DCI sponsored shows to justify and cover the finals week budget, I'm afraid to say we may see a renewal in the Indy contract. But I sure hope I'm wrong.

I was in that crowd at the Rose Bowl and the east coast corps received a great crowd response, especially Crown. I will say that the people who were booing Cadets were doing so not because of their east coast roots, but because of the design of their show. I was not a fan of the Cadets non-stop talk fest either, but refrained from voicing my displeasure. The Cadets had a legitimate gripe with regard to the field conditions, but that will be a non-issue with the Niner's new stadium. Your comment about the CA crowd being drunk and high was laughable at best. Besides, a large portion of the crowd was from out of state!

DCI, PLEASE COME BACK TO CA!!!

I marched on that field with the '07 Kingsmen Alumni Corps and didn't notice "deplorable" field conditions, even during the relatively high velocity (for a bunch of old pharts) drill we did leading into the push in Firebird. I will say that I wouldn't recommend the Rose Bowl as a repeat CA host, as the venue stands are too flat. IMO I don't care where you go see a show, you're bound to encounter a cross-section of folks who will want to "augment" their spectating experience just like any other sporting event; it was no different when I attended DCI East/Allentown in 2011, which was the first time I'd been there since '85.

Speaking of deplorable fields, the new 49-ers stadium is less than a mile from SCV's old practice field which is now a strip shopping center; that field and Mars (for BD) were best described as "theoretical".