New Uniforms 2013

Funny, I am old too, even older than you, and for me these things are in abundance now more than ever before, which is why I still love this activity, as I have since 1964 when I started (thanks Dad!).

Mike, I don't know you, although we do share an alumni associaton with the same corps. But I gotta say; I don't think in all the posts of yours that I have read, I've ever disagreed with anything you've written. I like how you think. I think you're right on the money. Thanks for that.

Mike, I don't know you, although we do share an alumni associaton with the same corps. But I gotta say; I don't think in all the posts of yours that I have read, I've ever disagreed with anything you've written. I like how you think. I think you're right on the money. Thanks for that.

Thanks M&C!!! :thumbup:/>

I don't think it's a "cut out". Notice how the collar comes down and is offset. The bottom just continues the offset that begins at the collar.

cut out may have beena poor choice of words, but yes the offset is what I'm refering to - the asemetry of the look. it reminds me of the first year BD got teh electric blue jackets with the black and silver sequins, becuase it had the off centered, asymetrical look. In that case, the the contrasting black and silver added to the look. IN this case, it looks (at least to me) just like a poor design.

I think a corps can change their uniform and still be true to their identity. The Cadets are the only active World Class corps that have kept the same (well, sort of) uniform design from day one. So are you implying that The Cadets are the only WC corps to maintain their style and identity?

what about boston - their uniform, other than that they dropped the black backs, is basically the same design they had in the 80s and probably earlier

• Like 2

cut out may have beena poor choice of words, but yes the offset is what I'm refering to - the asemetry of the look. it reminds me of the first year BD got teh electric blue jackets with the black and silver sequins, becuase it had the off centered, asymetrical look. In that case, the the contrasting black and silver added to the look. IN this case, it looks (at least to me) just like a poor design.

But it also gives them the flexibility that, if they choose to use a different color pants at some point, then the asymetrical hem there will stand out. Glassmen had the same thing for many years, despite the matching pants. So did Crown.

Mike

I have only two observations to share...

1. Does anyone else feel the corps proper is starting to look more like the modern color guard costumes, especially when compared to the corps propers of yester year?

2. I find it interesting when many corps are always pan-handling for donations to 'make ends meet' they are buying new uniforms yearly.

In one word....YES

In more words....WGI has a huge influence!

I'm pretty positive the cut of the uniform is exactly the same as the last version, they just changed all the gray to blue and all the trim (ie around the star) to silver. So the cutout/offset/whatever had been designed for the blue against gray, not blue against blue.

For reference:

7718688632_22702dfc6f_z.jpg

Edited by Spandy

Personally, I like the change. I had taken to calling them the "Gray Stars" for the past couple seasons... :ph34r:

• Like 1

Marching Roundtable did a multi-part podcast on black vs gray vs color. Apparently, gray is the new trend in HS bands who want a completely void color that's not black. It gratifies me that for the most part, DCI missed this trend. Blue Stars have gone back to blue, and only Spirit now (and only partially) really uses it.

Mike

what about boston - their uniform, other than that they dropped the black backs, is basically the same design they had in the 80s and probably earlier

I thought about that, but the changes were noticeable enough for a person who doesn't follow BAC (like myself) to notice a difference, so I didn't include them.