Cadets Streaming Live Full Run This Weekend

OK, now I get it. My apologies.

as she said.....

OK, now I get it. My apologies. I'll forever be in a New York Skyliners state of mind, and make no apologies for that! In any event, I didn't like the tune I heard today. Is that OK?

smile.gif

Oh, you like what you like, for sure! Nobody can force you to like something! I too remember those great Skyliner corps doing "Sing, Sing, Sing".

Methinks someone is not familiar with where The Cadets usually are on June 9.

You know, guys . . . you're right. I'm really out of touch. I need to accept that and move on. I will.

• Like 6

OK, now I get it. My apologies. I'll forever be in a New York Skyliners state of mind, and make no apologies for that! In any event, I didn't like the tune I heard today. Is that OK?

Of course it's OK to not like what the Cadets played or how they played it.

For reference,

is the John Williams piece they were playing (though I didn't see today's video, so I don't know how well they did).
  • Like 1

meh I don't think so. I have seen both BD and Cadets and i think neither of those two will win the gold. it's gonna be Crown this year I think, even though I have not seen them yet.

Crown... I have my doubts with their percussion and drill program... again.

• Like 2

Oh, boy . . . how do I present this opinion? Yes, it's very early and I expect things to be somewhat rough. Yes, I understand the computer version is not truly accurate, but here goes.

George did a really nice job on the introductory mic "thing." I was particularly pleased when he referred to the concept of MELODY. I was anxious to see an improved step in that direction. But, in practice, no dice. The Adagio piece left off the huge build-up and volume I was overwhelmed with when the Buccaneers did that same selection. The rest of the musical program was equally lacking in familiarity, as the arrangers continue to insist they simply can do these selections better than the original composers envisioned by chopping them up into disjointed passages. Where was the melody George mentioned?

Yes, I'm an old guy, but I always believed melody meant a pleasing, even flow that repeated itself enough that one really could replicate it in their own mind. Why, oh why, do these arrangers and instructors think they need to "COMPLEX" everything up? I just don't get it. George said everything will conclude with "Sing, Sing, Sing." I thought, OK, that will be cool (thinking back on New York Skyliners). Once again, I didn't get "Sing, Sing, Sing." I got something called that, but something almost totally different than what pleased millions in its time. It was all "complexed" up beyond recognition. Not for me. Also, this Cadets seemed less "kaleidoscopic" in its drill flow. The "box" things added little to the program at this point. Maybe later.

George, this all seems too late in the season to be so raw. You'll need to pull a rabbit out of the hat this year.

Attention Dinos!

Melody:

1. musical sounds in agreeable succession or arrangement.

2. a rhythmical succession of single tones producing a distinct musical phrase or idea.

Just because you don't ####### recognize it doesn't mean it's not a melody! What were you looking for? Christmas Music? This Show has A LOT of melody...

Judging the "volume" of a corps through your computer speakers from a live broadcast? Really? No one is going to take your criticism seriously... Have heard the original works? Or are simply criticizing the arrangement for the sake of your point. Both the melody and melodic ideas are preserved fairly well and strongly represented. After all, these symphonies were written for instrumentation that included woodwinds and strings and no mallet percussion. Maybe, it's going to sound a little different?

Also, This is perhaps the least raw they have been during spring training in the past few years. And they didnt play Swing Swing Swing but Sing Sing Sing which you thought was bad arrangement of former... And you criticized the cadets for having bad arrangements in their show?

I think you need a reality check....

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

Attention Dinos!

Melody:

1. musical sounds in agreeable succession or arrangement.

2. a rhythmical succession of single tones producing a distinct musical phrase or idea.

Just because you don't ####### recognize it doesn't mean it's not a melody! What were you looking for? Christmas Music? This Show has A LOT of melody...

Judging the "volume" of a corps through your computer speakers from a live broadcast? Really? No one is going to take your criticism seriously... Have heard the original works? Or are simply criticizing the arrangement for the sake of your point. Both the melody and melodic ideas are preserved fairly well and strongly represented. After all, these symphonies were written for instrumentation that included woodwinds and strings and no mallet percussion. Maybe, it's going to sound a little different?

Also, This is perhaps the least raw they have been during spring training in the past few years. And they didnt play Swing Swing Swing but Sing Sing Sing which you thought was bad arrangement of former... And you criticized the cadets for having bad arrangements in their show?

I think you need a reality check....

I totally agree!

I saw it. It was just okay for me. There are too many comparisons to previous SCV shows for me to totally get into their versions of all these great old shows. Also, I'm not gaga about the arrangements. There done very well, but not my choice of voicing. Like I said, I think I've fallen in love with previous incarnations of the music. I'm sure that the bones will get better as time goes on.

Thanks for the early preview.... I'm sure they will do well, but I'm not seeing the side by side theme right now. There are too many other shows to be excited about for me this year.

I will watch with an open mind though.

Edited by jjeffeory

I missed the live broadcast yesterday, is there somewhere else I can watch it?