Standing-O's for participating?

I agree that the Standing O should mean something. Standing for everything is trite and diminishing. On the other side of the coin....if you remain seated & silent in an attempt to make one point or another (i.e. the corps is beating your favorite; you simply hate them :huh:/>/>/>; they win too much; don't like the design; don't like the Director; don't like the city, fill-in-the-blank), but the corps just performed the #### out of it....yet you remain seated and silent....that is equally trite. The MM's on the ground deserve recognition for what they did, if indeed it was exceptional...they didn't design it, but performed it exceptionally.......standing and applauding is not much to ask. Having said that, I'll just mention a moment that (for me) will always speak to the quality of the DCI audience as a whole: 2009 Finals....The Troopers are announced and enter the field. Honorable mention: The endless O for SOI following their legacy performance at 2010 Semi's.....no way, you could not have chills and tears. Finally...Ream is right..a leg stretch is a good thing in a crowded stadium!
Amen brother! They don't make seats for guys 6'3" 220 LOL. If you're on the field, you can tell what kind of reaction it is. A real standing O is when the crowd is going nuts. Madison 2010...5 at finals, plus the ending. That's a real standing O. Surf at Allentown last year. SCV 09. Phantom 08 I once attended an SCV rehearsal where a staff member said Allentown was the toughest stadium in DCI. The fans wil stand when you're done, but their reaction will tell you wether it's a real standing O, or their underwear is riding up their butt. He was so true. Edited by Jeff Ream

if you're giving all the corps a standing ovation, how do you reward the corps that you think are extra special?

How to respond ?

Like this :

I don't think anybody here is telling you what you should like. The question is, do you really like all the performances enough to give them a standing ovation instead of merely applauding? And if you're giving all the corps a standing ovation, how do you reward the corps that you think are extra special?

Amen brother! They don't make seats for guys 6'3" 220 LOL.

If you're on the field, you can tell what kind of reaction it is. A real standing O is when the crowd is going nuts. Madison 2010...5 at finals, plus the ending. That's a real standing O. Surf at Allentown last year. SCV 09. Phantom 08

I once attended an SCV rehearsal where a staff member said Allentown was the toughest stadium in DCI. The fans wil stand when you're done, but their reaction will tell you wether it's a real standing ), or their underwear is riding up their butt.

He was so true.

I heard the identical thing from my youngin'.

I'm guessing that at least half of the standing ovators just want to give their legs and back a quick repreive from the horrible seats.

But even if everyone gets a standing ovation, there are still degrees of standing ovation. A quick leap to the feet from a large portion of the crowd versus slowly spreading standing, etc. Or standing Os during the show signify the audience is majorly impressed. The low-end corps are not getting that kind of appreciation.

I'm generally impressed by most corps' performances and stand for pretty much all of them. I don't think it cheapens anything, and I think each audience member should stand or not as they see fit. I only make a point of not standing if the show was particularly painful to watch, eg Cavies 2012, which was literally painful to my ears at the end.

Having been a member of a reforming corps I've been from last place to 6th at Finals. I stand and clap for all corps at the end for the effort they put. Reason is I know the amount of work even a last place corps puts in to learn a full show.

And beleive me members can tell the difference between a standing O for a great show and standing O for just giving respect. It's in the volume of the applause.

Exactly....when you are on the field you can tell if the standing O was heartfelt or polite....people are really over analyzing this...sheesh...

I stand and clap after every corps performance (Sometimes my hands are sore and beat red after clapping....sometimes not)....

Standing at the end of a drum corps show was engendered by the American flag passing in review as a corps leaves the field, something that obviously doesn't happen anymore. But since Americans have decided that everything from a Kindergarten play on up deserves a standing O, now it's considered rude if you don't.

None of which has swayed me. In the last 5 or 6 years, I can only remember giving a standing O to two genuinely extraordinary events - opening night of Book of Mormon, and Gary Burton and Chick Corea in a duet evening. For everyone else in the performing world, well, 'competence' is what they're supposed to be doing in the first place.

• Like 3

It all depends on several things:

Usually I stand because my knees are killing me.

Sometimes I stand so I can fart in the direction of the people who wouldn't shut up during the last show.

Sometimes I stay seated because of the nutcases from < insert corps > are going nuts screaming and yelling and not only does it irk them, it saves my ears.

Sometimes I wait till a quiet moment and say : "####, now that the acids kicked in I understand it"

Sometimes, I like waffles

• Like 1

Exactly....when you are on the field you can tell if the standing O was heartfelt or polite..

I would agree. Most can detect what is called a " polite applause " and then what we could call " an Oprah Audience Applause". When a Corps gets an " Oprah Audience Applause " it looks just like this for example :

Like others have mentioned, I too will eagerly stand and applaud each and every corps. What I really want to see, what I crave, is the corps forcing me to my feet through their performance.