Have drum corps evolved into bands?

All is true and I no longer "miss" the days of bugles vs. trumpets, as I admit to not fully understanding the difference anyway. But after staying up til 2:00 watching DCI West last night, I don't care how many valves and what pitch horn or how many dents in it, watching Blue Devils walk around with poles all night and listening to Mandarins narratives separated by a few notes here and there, it wouldn't matter to me if they were playing harmonicas!

I knew Santa Clara didn't have a chance when they went with a drum corps show. Maybe if the show started with a single drum thud followed by a blaring "BEGINNING IN 1815 AND CONTINUING THRU 1832..........."

Highlight for me was Crown encore...... real musicianship........ reminded me of Marine Drum & Bugle...... no pit, no amplification, no color guard, no unnecessary artistic arm waving........ just music..... I really enjoyed these fine musicians.

Joe

that's where it going. and why i don't watch or listen anymore. it's past my time. it's the younger generation to do as they might. and it's on them as to how well drum corps or whatever it is does. we did our thing and their doing theirs. as for me ....i'm out. won't waste one dime on it. but i will comment as i see fit.

• Like 2

he also said six valves............as long an in G..............cool.gif

Almost 30 years later the 6 valve part stuck with me and had to ask on RAMD who said it.

Forget who reminded me but was funny that I had the booklet where the quote was printed....

And yes... some people grumbled then about number of valves on a horn being brought up... "#### thing would look like a band horn!!"

Edited by JimF-LowBari

don't know about your car analogy. i had a 68 camaro. z28. it's was awsome. and i never lost a race. lot's of power. as for safe....ya got me there...........lol

:satisfied:

I drove a 69 Buick Wildcat as a kid, some of the peeps who remember my first year in corps remember that pea green monster. Disguised muscle car for an exec or a dentist.

Lucky I didn't kill myself, Don. Also drove a friend's 68 Firebird. Also happy I didn't kill myself in that.

A new Camaro can outrun and outhandle the original ones- similar, maybe not as sexy or charming. Also if you would prang it, you have airbags, and better protection. We'd stand a chance if we got crazy on one of them.

Kinda like modern horn lines. They run faster, technically very good, better quality instruments, they get the job done. Maybe not as sexy, tho.

I'll say it again, though. MBI blows white hot plasma out of B Flat instruments.

Have a dinner to get to. But-- I'll have to bring up something Frank Dorritie taught me back in '82 that's still very pertinent to the discussion. And still extremely pertinent to any Brass caption person, especially the techs. The moment still sticks in my head. When Frank was finished with the blackboard and lecture, it was as if light bulbs clicked over every person's head in Westshore's horn line.

satisfied.gif

I drove a 69 Buick Wildcat as a kid, some of the peeps who remember my first year in corps remember that pea green monster. Disguised muscle car for an exec or a dentist.

Lucky I didn't kill myself, Don. Also drove a friend's 68 Firebird. Also happy I didn't kill myself in that.

A new Camaro can outrun and outhandle the original ones- similar, maybe not as sexy or charming. Also if you would prang it, you have airbags, and better protection. We'd stand a chance if we got crazy on one of them.

Kinda like modern horn lines. They run faster, technically very good, better quality instruments, they get the job done. Maybe not as sexy, tho.

I'll say it again, though. MBI blows white hot plasma out of B Flat instruments.

Have a dinner to get to. But-- I'll have to bring up something Frank Dorritie taught me back in '82 that's still very pertinent to the discussion. And still extremely pertinent to any Brass caption person, especially the techs. The moment still sticks in my head. When Frank was finished with the blackboard and lecture, it was as if light bulbs clicked over every person's head in Westshore's horn line.

my step son has a 2013 camaro. nice car. all the bells and whistles. he got caught going.........112 mph. he did the same thing i did. i had the car for 1 1/2 months. got caught doing 115 mph. he had his for 2 months. way to funny. but not really. smile.gif

Actually, if you watch the Blue Devils show in a "certain state of mind", it's pretty awesome!

Ahhh... the good old days. :tongue:

Ahhh... the good old days. tongue.gif

they didn't exist in the real good old day's. satisfied.gif

Or as some like to say.....

....."the 70's", if you remember them; you weren't there!! cool.gif/>

i'm in real trouble.........i remember the 60's.............shutup.gif

• Like 1

Play my Schilke B5 and a bugle and tell me you cant play just as loud as a bugle.

It is not the amount of volume...it is the distance the sound can travel projected by the G horn. If you ever played my trumpet, you would never want to play a bugle again. I do play and arrange for both types of groups...much rather play a good trumpet than the best bugle. I am a member of the Bugler's Hall of Fame and I still play with Alumni groups on bugle. I am a dinosaur that knows the difference.

Over and over...every freaking year, same stuff...aye yi yi

awww man, now you ruined it for next year

Play my Schilke B5 and a bugle and tell me you cant play just as loud as a bugle.

It is not the amount of volume...it is the distance the sound can travel projected by the G horn. If you ever played my trumpet, you would never want to play a bugle again. I do play and arrange for both types of groups...much rather play a good trumpet than the best bugle. I am a member of the Bugler's Hall of Fame and I still play with Alumni groups on bugle. I am a dinosaur that knows the difference.

Over and over...every freaking year, same stuff...aye yi yi

If I recall, Schilke manufactured trumpets offer less "gap" which equals to less resistance allowing a more free flow of air through the horn (amplifier). I'm with ya on this one Donny.

• Like 1