Bowling Green Brewery (6/23)

Not that Madison and Phantom didn't deserve their VA numbers -- but a limited view recording of the ballad and closer from BG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcLC50dtuLc) does at least show a VERY dirty guard in the last few minutes. Perhaps that plus the visual clutter of not having coverings on the props lead to their lower numbers.

agreed - cadets are VERY dirty right now.

I hate to pull up one of the most important rules I took from my music experiences (including drum corps)

"To be on time is to be early. To be late is to be on time."

The issue has to do with all of the late comers who meander in at the same time at the very last minute. Both Pioneer and Troopers both stood there and waited a certain amount of time before starting their show. They can only wait so long. At some point people need to be responsible enough to get there early enough to be in their seats in time.

Interesting...my marching band director in high school used to phrase it..."To be early is to be on time...to be on time is to be late."

Edit: I see a few others adressed this topic as well...I didn't read that far yet....lol

Edited by Liahona

I always get to the show 30 minutes early and am usually the only person sitting in my area of the stands. The only time it's been a problem was at the first TOC show in Rockford in 2011. And that year they did delay the starting time of the show by 30 minutes to get everyone through the ticket gates and into the stadium. But that stadium is terrible and was a terrible choice for such a show.

• Like 2

Cadets

Good: loud and clean. George seemed more into it than yesterday.

Bad: force feeds a simple concept in an abstract way making it hard to kick back and just enjoy.

Since I haven't read anything about the Cadets' concept, their show for me plays (allowing for amplification and synthesizers, only occasionally annoying) as straight-up drum corps, sans theme--which I think is a good thing! It's no more cerebral than SCV '99, for instance--less so because more people know the music now.

Since I haven't read anything about the Cadets' concept, their show for me plays (allowing for amplification and synthesizers, only occasionally annoying) as straight-up drum corps, sans theme--which I think is a good thing! It's no more cerebral than SCV '99, for instance--less so because more people know the music now.

I haven't yet gotten to the Cadets show on the Akron Fan Network VODs, but I do like the sound of that. What I saw from Cadets' pre-season livestream preview left me a little cold, but I'm hoping the show grows on me.

Cadets are a mature corps this year with strength in all captions. The Medea portion of the show is about 5 levels below the

rest of the show in performance level. Obviously the last section learned. Im sure this is where they pull the 30 seconds out of the show to stay within the allotted show time since they are still over. I think if they tweak the drill in some areas to add a bit more "wow" elements, rework Medea and tweak the closer (I like it but its not there yet), they should be in contention for the medal not a medal.

Edited by newjerseycorpguy

And, is none the less...

still. dead.

Slowly step away from the Ernest Hemingway novel. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Cadets are a mature corps this year with strength in all captions. The Medea portion of the show is about 5 levels below the

rest of the show in performance level. Obviously the last section learned. Im sure this is where they pull the 30 seconds out of the show to stay within the allotted show time since they are still over. I think if they tweak the drill in some areas to add a bit more "wow" elements, rework Medea and tweak the closer (I like it but its not there yet), they should be in contention for the medal not a medal.

My favorite quote from Cadets friends in 2009 - "Our show's too long? Ok, we'll just go faster."

A good show, once I finally got in. I think Boston is being overscored and Cavaliers is being underscored this year, but was pleased to find the judges agreed with me that Madison was better than both, that Phantom is building on a strong framework, and that Cadets are excellent. Blue Stars and Crossmen a toss up for me currently: messy shows that by no means convey the themes they're going for. Fuller review tomorrow.

I am by no means picking a fight, but your statement about Boston being overscored and for that matter Cavies being underscored got me wondering about how many times you have seen each corps perform and how in such a small sampling you can make that assertion. Boston has competitively performed only 6% of their expected schedule (2 of 30) but you believe they are overscored? This time of year all corps are just getting started and are looking at what to clean as well as to simply start performing. A lot of "dirt" can be cleaned up fast, in big chunks. Judges are seeing corps and shows for the very first time let alone seeing a show performed at a high level. It is first concept exposure for judges and evaluation or proof of concept for show designers. My point is; it is a bit early to make a judgement on scoring such as a corps being over or under scored. I'd give it until the end of this week or even next for things to start taking some level of substantive shape.

• Like 1

I am by no means picking a fight, but your statement about Boston being overscored and for that matter Cavies being underscored got me wondering about how many times you have seen each corps perform and how in such a small sampling you can make that assertion. Boston has competitively performed only 6% of their expected schedule (2 of 30) but you believe they are overscored? This time of year all corps are just getting started and are looking at what to clean as well as to simply start performing. A lot of "dirt" can be cleaned up fast, in big chunks. Judges are seeing corps and shows for the very first time let alone seeing a show performed at a high level. It is first concept exposure for judges and evaluation or proof of concept for show designers. My point is; it is a bit early to make a judgement on scoring such as a corps being over or under scored. I'd give it until the end of this week or even next for things to start taking some level of substantive shape.

This.