Why are fans so rude and immature?

How about we hold individuals accountable for their actions and statements rather than trying to attach them to entire corps and regions?

Honestly 'more jerks like your corps than mine' is not the most compelling argument anyway.

• Like 1

Doesn't the current criteria actually take some crowd reaction into consideration? I haven't read the sheets since before last year, I don't actually remember. So I could be wrong... but wasn't that the whole point of changing the sheets?? And changing them to weigh more heavily on performance rather than design?

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

I must not be up on the latest etiquette rules. So, booing loudly at retreat is perfectly acceptable. An age out posting "FYWW" on his personal Facebook page the day after he heard boos from the stands when he was announced as the World Champion is not. It shows a bad attitude.

Why should the judges care what you "like". They have criteria to follow. They have to justify their scores to all of the corps and to the judges administrators. They can't just say, "Well, the crowd certainly liked them." If you don't like the criteria, complain to DCI.

If the consumer doesn't voice their opinion, then they have no right to complain when they are being fed what they don't want.

How about we hold individuals accountable for their actions and statements rather than trying to attach them to entire corps and regions?

Honestly 'more jerks like your corps than mine' is not the most compelling argument anyway.

So you mean like I did where I called a single poster out by name and tried to explain ambassadorship to him, where he came back with his version of Pffft? What else ya got?

• Like 1

I must not be up on the latest etiquette rules. So, booing loudly at retreat is perfectly acceptable. An age out posting "FYWW" on his personal Facebook page the day after he heard boos from the stands when he was announced as the World Champion is not. It shows a bad attitude.

Why should the judges care what you "like". They have criteria to follow. They have to justify their scores to all of the corps and to the judges administrators. They can't just say, "Well, the crowd certainly liked them." If you don't like the criteria, complain to DCI.

How about I boo first, then applaud? Will I not damage the fragile kiddies on the field? Look, any kid who openly posts "F---- YOU" isn't going to be damaged by my boo-ing. I learned "If you don't have anything nice to say...", too, but I also learned that a kid's genes are set by the time he's 7 years old. If he personalizes the criticism, what do the judges scores do to his poor ego?

Give me a break. I've got kids from age 33 to 8 and not one of them is ready to jump off a bridge because they weren't accepted by everyone.

• Like 1

This, exactly. I have close friends in BD who took their victory incredibly humbly, were not boastful, and generally were amazingly mature about it. Then you have those kiddos posting "FYWW". It's not a corps affiliation by any means, it's just a "your child really need a huge spoonful of class and grace." And

Are you really trying to justify him posting that? Booing may be wrong but that's no excuse to get all whiney about it. Grow up.

If the consumer doesn't voice their opinion, then they have no right to complain when they are being fed what they don't want.

But if Jack in the Box Corporate changes their soda contract from Pepsi to Coke, do I stand and yell at the girl at the register? Or do I call or e-mail the guy with the big clown head? "Complaining" (booing) during retreat is aiming your complaint at the wrong people.

• Like 3

it's pretty interesting that many who feel booing is ok ( not making a personal statement, just an observation ) but many are the same who say. " who cares about scores"hmmmmmm..well if one doesn't care about scores why voice your discontent? :smile:

• Like 1

Are you really trying to justify him posting that? Booing may be wrong but that's no excuse to get all whiney about it. Grow up.

I am just wondering why it is okay for a fan to act immature loudly and in public, but a member (at that point FMM) cannot do the same on his personal Facebook page amongst his friends.

• Like 1

In regards to the original posters comments on the CC show.......whether you like the show or not what I find really interesting is not too many people seem to have an issue with the narration and body mvt. that CC is doing this year.......and I can see it for argument sake that it illustrates a hypocracy of some fans.

I think the key is that most narration that happens in drum corps is outrageously cheesy or just poorly done. BD 2004, Crown 2004 were pretty miserable, and I never go back to those shows. Cadets 07 and 08 were show-ruining for me, especially 08 since it trampled half of the show and was just so... airbrushed and melodramatic. BD 2012's narration was distracting and I didn't understand how it was supposed to add to the show... it didn't help that it was pre-recorded and in multiple languages. It wasn't cringe-worthy, but it ruined my enjoyment of the rest of what was going on.

This year... Crown's drum feature use of amplified voice is genius... it uses voice as a percussion instrument to great effect, but the ballad narration is distracting, but while I don't personally cringe at it, I would find it cringe-worthy if I weren't familiar with the source material (in which it also comes off as goofy and odd the first time I heard it). Blue Knights narration/singing goes on far too long and is a major distraction. Mandarins' narration this year, though, is the first time I've heard sincere and non-melodramatic or goofy narration in DCI. It's pre-recorded, unfortunately, but it works. It's dished out in tiny bits so it rarely crosstalks with the music, and it tells a real, emotional story that's not overdone and which doesn't try to be didactic or over-the-top patriotic or whatever else has been tried. That program deserves a lot more attention.