Cavies Struggles

Love, love, love this years Cavies show ... it is super sloppy though. Hope they can bring things together. It is painful to watch them struggle. While I never marched in DCI, the Cavies have always been my favorite corps.

Not intending this comment to flame, or create a giant debate, but I see the exact same thing when I see the Blue Devils. Their leg cape is CONSTANTLY blowing past their drill spot creating a blur/fuzz in the drill sets. Why are they immune to this said "visual dirt"?

I can still see their bodies or plumes lock in. Doesn't look dirty to me, in fact I find it as one of the coolest features of their uniform.

I agree with you(in thot the cape is a great idea-but not working for them). The cape makes them look dirtier. I think it also adds to much bulk under their uniform proper. I thought they looked cleaner (albeit still dirty) without the cape once they took it off. Interesting, they have some drill that is very similar towards the ending of Machine-just not done very well right now.

I did notice that they looked cleaner once they took the robes off. The first part of the show just looked like a complete mess visually. Afterwards, it was still pretty dirty, but you could at least see the forms, and see what they were going for.

The boys from Chicago have about as much chance of winning this year as their hockey team does of coming back in these last 2 minutes of...what...they just did what???

never mind :lle:

Edit: Not sure why someone gave me a minus for this. It was just a playful way of saying anything can happen. I really like the show and would love to them make a run this year.

Or maybe it was just from a Boston fan. Nothing against the Bruins either. Please don't give my home address to Zdeno Chara.

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 4

Admittedly I haven't read it to this point, but what's next in this thread? Is it... "I think the membership should be refunded dues for poor design"? Isn't that where it went in week 2 last year? It's the Cavies. If you follow their facebook it's pretty evident they're more about being Cavaliers than whatever your opinion of their show to date (or final placement) is. It's a pendulum with every corps from year to year. I'm okay with that. I haven't seen the show yet, but they'll make finals. They'll be in the top 8. That's what will happen.

Sheesh.

Well, you admitted that you had not read to a certain point. Had you it would be clear that nobody to my knowledge is picking on the Cavaliers, making fun of them, calling them names or belittling their staff; and no one is saying that their happy the Cavaliers are struggling. We're only talking about the competitive aspect. Nothing more.

The Cavaliers are a fine organization (like all the others), and the kids and staff are hopefully having a wonderful experience. I'm sure they did last year as well.

I think everyone here wishes them well. I do, but it doesn't mean I can't comment on the show. That's what this forum is for.

• Like 2

Not every program is a winner out of the gate. I've seen groups, Cavies included, that have started with a program that was less than what they wanted and ended up with something pretty cool. The real test will be to see what the design team and staff do to the program throughout the summer. Will they make it something great? Only time will tell. But, give them some time.

I completely agree with this, and I think most others do as well. At the present they are struggling in most captions and with the overall show. It's getting mentioned a lot because the Cavaliers are a perennial top 3 corps so, of course, it's news. There is nothing wrong with people noting that or trying to predict where the corps is presently (I have them in 11th) and where they may end up. This is only natural and it's what we do on this forum. It's natural for people to discuss the "why" of their show and perhaps what went wrong (or right). But again, I do not see anyone picking on the corps personally or making fun of them.

Will they make it something great? (as you noted above) This will certainly make the summer exciting. My bet is they do, and the corps will improve by leaps and bounds. Other corps will improve big time as well. I certainly wish them well.

Nope. All I was saying was that we had this conversation last year too (that maybe Cavies wouldn't make finals or some such). You stated that they were off to a worse start than last year, I was merely stating that it was "worse" for them a couple weeks LATER last year, and they recovered (to some extent, obviously not to their standards). I haven't seen them yet, and have never really been a Cavies fan, but I think that you may be doing some wishful thinking regarding your corps, and if they can take down the Green Machine (which is absolutely ok!)

Of course, I may be full of crap, so there's that.

Ummm ok.... This isn't about the Blue Knights.... I've only mentioned corps in a scoring grouping that are around Cavies.... Spirit has gone head to head quite a bit so I've brought them up as a barrier. I haven't had any thought to writing a post/thread about BK and whether they can take down the Green Machine. My point which I will reiterate is that the Cavies are not starting off or likely finishing in the top 5 which is where most people saw them. I think that many thought last year was a fluke and they'd jump right back up. Now they are sloppy and do seem to have a better program this year, but so do alot of corps that are scoring similarly such as Madison, Boston, Spirit and maybe BK but they've not competed against this crew yet. That's a far cry from going nearly winning it all in 2010 and 2011 to where they are now. I am glad that the membership feels its about more than competition but if they are indeed a young corps it says that older seasoned vets are not flocking to Cavies the way they have. Lets not kid ourselves many of the top corps have had direct feeds from lower ended finalists for years and it helps those corps like the Cavies. They have talent they always will but is the direction in the organization a bit alarming? They lost Fiedler, Kuhn, Gaines, Saucedo, Bertman and staff... Is it hard to imagine they've lost their way a bit and identity as well? That's what I'm hoping gets fixed. Will they fall from finals, probably not but again it's a viable conversation because they're in a competitive group that's trying to stay in and move up in the bottom half of finals. Like it love it leave it, I'm not making this up, it's where they sit right now. Ask the Cavies alums from the early 00's if they think the corps is struggling.... It's something I hope does improve and I wish them to move up this summer. They are one of my favorites!

• Like 2

Just shows you how impressive a job Cadets and BD have done over the years.

Indeed VERY impressive

Not to seem rude, but I didn't know finals were tomorrow :tongue:

I think we just need to let things gel a little more and let them clean/add more things to the show as the season goes on.

Plus if you enjoy the show does it matter where they place? I don't think so, I was not able to see a live show last season, so I am very excited to see a live show!

I am still a proud Cavies fan! :thumbup:

• Like 1