If Crown and Cadets want to win,....

Not sophomoric at all, Chaddy....I just didn't see that "fence" kind of separation thing before (I'm a bit slow).....I see it now and get it. And thanks to newjerseycorpsguy and others for explaining it. See.....I can be trained!

Having said that, IMO, 2011 Cadets was a much better vehicle for this conflict theme and I feel this production is a lesser re-run of that concept. But this is classic DC at its best, Cadets are nailing it and a contender for sure. I just don't think it has the gavitas to get past the current CC & BD productions.

Again, I think you're ascribing meaning to the show where there isn't any. I don't see this show as "conflict themed" at all. There aren't two sides fighting for supremacy. It's simply just exploring two sides of various drum corps elements. Whether that's visually on the field (where the towers come in) and how the drill/guard is staged. Or musically with a soloist/full corps. Fast tempo/slow tempo. Adagio/Medea.

I don't think it's a slam dunk of a concept, but they have a month to refine it and when their design team is on, they're on. Angels & Demons wasn't firing on all cylinders right out of the gate either. And the concept alone doesn't win championships. From what the scores are saying, the Cadets are performing the hell out of it.

Have you discussed this with Plan9?

Corps sometimes "jump the shark" when it comes to design themes that win (PR comes to mind)....I saw a similarity in this Cadet design and their 2011 show...it was just an observation with no malice intended.

I love the Cadets and Crown shows and they could easily win perhaps as they are.... but to put them over the top and get the crowd on their feet please make these changes:

Crown: You may have thought I was going to ask them to change the ballad, but they will not and that is not as a big of a deal as what I would like to see happen. I would love to see them bring the opener back into the closer somehow. The opening number is by far their highlight and if they closed with that as an accompany front, they may just win!

Cadets; Carbon copy Star 93, just do it! The soft ending has to go, it is anti Cadets of the past two years and Medea leaves me wanting to turn them off and then play Star 93. That has to be a in your face closer without the soft ending. I know 87 worked, but that was a rare circumstance.

Blue Devils: Just make those PVC Poles look like trees, and bingo #16.

Cadets made it very clear preseason, they write shows so that people will "get it" after one viewing. There are many layers, nuances, musically and visually to keep judges and members stimulated but the show shouldn't require an weekend course to understand.

This is not always the case with them. In 2010, Cadets volunteers were handing out flyers at the entrance to their shows (I encountered this in Massillon) with a paragraph explaining the meaning of "Toy Souldier".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Edited by N.E. Brigand

This is not always the case with them. In 2010, Cadets volunteers were handing out flyers at the entrance to their shows (I encountered this in Massillon) with a paragraph explaining the meaning of "Toy Souldier".

True, this year though doesn't require much explanation imo..

Edited by 2000Cadet

What was there to even explain about this show?

Cadets 1987 (App Spring): the ending worked very well because of the "pre" ending, the dissolving/reappearing company front. Plus, they weren't exactly masters of fortissimo that year, and that musical section peeled some paint (without splatting and losing pitch, SCV.)! This allowed their "curtain call" fantasia to really work. Well, the Finals audience can't hear the sop soloist. SCV had successfully pulled off the "down ending" but did it in usual Vanguard straightforwardness. All Garfield had to do was weave some sweet drill and just "go away." Once they hit the block, it was horns down and get outta dodge. Genius.

This Cadet show doesn't have a dynamic-enough "pre-ending" for the finale to work. Remember "Les Miserables" and their 1995 "American Quintet?" EVERY time I saw those shows, there were different endings. It's early. And no matter who wins, Samuel Barber has already replaced that nasty Christmas taste in my mouth. Ugh.

Cadets 1987 (App Spring): the ending worked very well because of the "pre" ending, the dissolving/reappearing company front. Plus, they weren't exactly masters of fortissimo that year, and that musical section peeled some paint (without splatting and losing pitch, SCV.)! This allowed their "curtain call" fantasia to really work. Well, the Finals audience can't hear the sop soloist. SCV had successfully pulled off the "down ending" but did it in usual Vanguard straightforwardness. All Garfield had to do was weave some sweet drill and just "go away." Once they hit the block, it was horns down and get outta dodge. Genius.

That may actually be the first time anyone has ever said that. Common opinion seems to be that SCV played Appalachian Spring pretty well in 2009, judges seemed to agree as well.

I love waffles

Or

POOLS OPEN