I might look up the major donors to YEA on the 990 and send them a personal letter telling them why their investment is foolish given his comments.

yes - why don't you put your hate for Hopkins to work by trying to damage an organization which benefits thousands of students and marching members

be careful - your true colors are showing! :shutup:

• Like 1

I don't know who you are but thank you very, very much for your hard work for the corps - all of them. I feel your pain and all these people not getting our angst need to realize that bi*ching about a bad housing site in the South is shooting themselves in the foot.

You Cadet apologists: Try living and going to school at those places you think are "inferior" in the South full-time. Our taxes pay for those facilities, as "bad" as they are. Our kids go to school there - and like us make their memories there that will sustain generations. We volunteer our hours there as PTA participants - at the concession stands on football Friday nights - and at the band contests on Saturdays. Those are our facilities, our gymnasiums, our practice fields...and our kids that we are darn proud of. Fact is we'll run circles around you all week and twice on Sunday.

Just PM me, and I'll tell you who I am (and, admittedly, you'll be disappointed tongue.gif/>).

Above all, I am a staunch defender of the hard work that the local show circuit puts out to host about 45% of drum corps shows each summer.

Many people buy a ticket and enjoy the show without the foggiest idea of what goes into making it a success. I've been averaging 2 hours a day - during my normal business hours - since February in preparation for our show and, in the last few weeks before the show, which is NOW for us, I spend 3 to 4 hours a day wrapping up little details. That's donated time away from my day job, and I don't even live in the district that is the beneficiary of the show proceeds! My kids don't go there! I, like many hosts, put forth the effort for one reason only: to make sure that drum corps survives for the paying fans.

Nowhere on DCI's site do you see any information about local show hosts other than in the schedule. When they advertise DrumLine Battle sites, they only advertise their own, corps-run or DCI-run shows. Nothing is ever mentioned about the local Tour Event Partners. In fact, part of the G7 proposal was to do away with local shows because show profits, above and beyond the contract fee, go to the host school instead of the corps, and the G7 authors don't like that fact.

But, my work is not about me, and it's not about DCI. It's about the kids who experience our show and get the bug to try out. Sure, our host school gets a nice profit if we do a good job and God keeps the rain away. But the money goes to music programs and school facilities that promote marching music and what it does FOR KIDS.

I'm of the belief that most shows are run by people who have the same ambition at heart. I just wish that more attention was paid to them (us) for the countless hours we devote to keeping drum corps in more areas of the country. Without the local hosts, the DCI tours would be nearly cut IN HALF.

So, I believe that the local host deserves the benefit of the doubt in situations like this, and one bad seed director shouldn't cast a pall over all of the people who put in the time and energy to make the tour what it is.

/rant

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

I might look up the major donors to YEA on the 990 and send them a personal letter telling them why their investment is foolish given his comments.

You'll be disappointed, because major donors are not listed on the corps' 990s.

Trust me. I know that for a fact.

:tongue:/>

• Like 1

yes - why don't you put your hate for Hopkins to work by trying to damage an organization which benefits thousands of students and marching members

be careful - your true colors are showing! :shutup:/>

They would be better off at another organization and learn from a leader that doesn't think we are all backwards here in the glorious South. Don't you want your kids learning that all people - Mississippi people included - are considered equal?

• Like 1

They would be better off at another organization and learn from a leader that doesn't think we are all backwards here in the glorious South. Don't you want your kids learning that all people - Mississippi people included - are considered equal?

where do you get this stuff?? :blink:

You'll be disappointed, because major donors are not listed on the corps' 990s.

Trust me. I know that for a fact.

:tongue:/>/>

Tru dat. But it's not hard to find out if you dig down. Annual reports, yo. Family foundations also have to disclose their donations on their filings. I'm a fundraiser...I can find out easily with our research tools.

It is assigned by the host show director.

Garfield, a further question, if I may...

The first time I ever saw a corps, they were sleeping on the gym floor of my high school when I and other marching band members arrived at 9 a.m. for our own rehearsals. The corps had arrived in the wee hours of the morning. (I think this was August 1, 1988, and I know the corps was the Garfield Cadets. Although looking at CorpsReps, I'm puzzled by their late arrival, since they had a day off following their previous show, which was less than a five-hour drive away. Maybe it was July 31 and they stayed two days? I can't remember.) The show, however, was in a different school district than ours. I know your show is run in a district with three high schools, so perhaps you're able to host them all under one authority. But just as was the case in 1988, it's obvious from the lists of housing and rehearsal sites I see mentioned on these forums that often the housing sites are scattered over multiple districts. Are you or other TEP's therefore renting space from other school districts?

A further note on the current situation in Mississippi: there has been a short follow-up article, which indicates that the school assigned the best rehearsal space (the stadium) to the corps that called them first to ask for it.

However, standard procedure is for a corps to pay to stay at a school, yes? And we are obviously talking about a history of several such incidents.

Interesting...if it's "standard procedure" I hope there isn't a statute of limitation on being paid, because I've got a BIG check coming . I (my school) hosted corps annually for almost 30 years. At times as many as 4 corps at once.

Got some free tickets to the show, but not a single dollar.

Our school NEVER charged the corps for using our facilities or for custodial costs. Frequently our boosters would even provide a meal for them.

I would also mention that the great majority of the corps were very appreciative of our hospitality. I can only remember a couple that I put on our "will not host again" list.

And no...I won't name them. The kids were great, but their staff were a PITA. And no...Cadets were NOT one of the PITA corps.

Remember, DCI sets the contract, and they vet the school to make sure that they have the facilities to house the corps and for the corps to practice. The host has to have the facilities lined up prior to the contract signing (not payment) in order for DCI to sign the deal.

Usually, the school SYSTEM is the other party in the contract, not an individual school.

We've had principals say they didn't want any corps again based on a bad experience (see above) but, if the show is profitable, the school district can force the principal to host the corps.

Thanks for all of the info. I'm more educated now about how this works. Should be useful for being a band director, if I end up somewhere with a show in town.

I don't know who you are but thank you very, very much for your hard work for the corps - all of them. I feel your pain and all these people not getting our angst need to realize that bi*ching about a bad housing site in the South is shooting themselves in the foot.

You Cadet apologists: Try living and going to school at those places you think are "inferior" in the South full-time. Our taxes pay for those facilities, as "bad" as they are. Our kids go to school there - and like us make their memories there that will sustain generations. We volunteer our hours there as PTA participants - at the concession stands on football Friday nights - and at the band contests on Saturdays. Those are our facilities, our gymnasiums, our practice fields...and our kids that we are darn proud of. Fact is we'll run circles around you all week and twice on Sunday.

I think one point that is being overlooked is that the South is lucky enough to be able to enjoy a much lower population density than places like the north east, for example. This translates into fewer schools within a radius of a show site. There are often tighter restrictions for schools in the south, that make things a bit more challenging. On top of this, football tends to start earlier there since the school tends to start up earlier.

Anyone that remembers finals in Jackson remembers trying to stay at schools that were already in session, often hours away from the show site.

Anyway, there are a lot of unique factors in the south that make things a little less easy than in some areas of the country. None of this really has to do with the quality of the facilities (some of the best facilities I've even seen have been in the south) or generosity of the people. In some cases it even comes to to late or poor planning on the part of some organizations.

• Like 1