Agreed. That said, hoping we can put this behind us -- an incredible season going on... :smile:/>/>/>

I just went back and re-read the original post that started this ####storm. He really didn't say anything offensive. Less than wonderful? Maybe he should have used one of my favorite terms: "Not Awesome"

MDD7IRc.gif

• Like 1

I just went back and re-read the original post that started this ####storm. He really didn't say anything offensive. Less than wonderful? Maybe he should have used one of my favorite terms: "Not Awesome"

MDD7IRc.gif

Mr. Burgandy looks like Mr. Hopkins circa 1989 or so :)

• Like 2

So just leave out what actually happened? To what end? He didn't say anything that was untrue, they have historically had problems getting housing/rehearsal sites in the south, folks do want to know why they don't go down south more frequently.

Folks are just looking for a reason to indulge their favorite pastime, being outraged and offended.

Yes, leave it out. The indulgence of personal feelings on the internet is definitely a favorite pastime. And it started with the original post about the issues in the south, in this particular case. Just in case nobody noticed that part.

an assumption on your part / I get why you are saying that but... an assumption just the same. Personally I doubt it will have ANY impact

IMO, depends on if it upsets any loudmouths or certain board members in the school district. Having problems in my area of PA of folks wanting to cut cost of education no matter what. Some of them are on the School Board and they say 'NO' before they even hear the proposal. Add to that they ran on "Cut Costs Period" platform and know what the people who voted for them want.

I can picture one of the loudmouths or board members saying "We have the facilities being used by outsiders/non-tax payers and that's costing US money. And the outsiders using it don't even appreciate and/or insult us (with copy of the article in hand ready to quote GH). Keep the facilities for our (IE taxpapyers) kids use only."

Sister in law works at a district that tried to stop the "Reading Recovery" program based on the cost per kid. RR tries to catch and correct reading problems like dyslexia before the kid falls behind and possible gives up in school. Ends up saving the district money in th elong run for various reasons. Quote she heard was "Why waste money on dumb (dyslexic) kids". And this was from a member of the school board.... IOW if board members think dyslexia is tied to intelligence, anything is possible when $$$$ is involved.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Yes, leave it out. The indulgence of personal feelings on the internet is definitely a favorite pastime. And it started with the original post about the issues in the south, in this particular case. Just in case nobody noticed that part.

What personal feelings did he share?

He stated why he hesitates to bring the corps down south. He talked about the fact that their housing/rehearsal sites weren't meeting their needs and asked if there was someone who had a location that would.

But we agree that the indulgence of sharing personal feelings on the internet is a favorite pastime. In this case it's most evident in the people venting their spleen about how offended they feel for being told a housing site wasn't meeting the corps needs and that the corps has had this kind of problem often in the south.

MDD7IRc.gif

Love the Anchorman reference.

He didn't use strong words, but the whole, "This is why we don't go to the deep South" stuff is pretty offensive, especially given that he's coming from New Jersey. He voiced a complaint without actually saying what the offense actually was, and instead of working it out behind the scenes and not burning bridges with the entire community he went ahead and dragged the rest of the South into this mess. I give him credit for not trying to cover it up afterwards, though I wonder if it's from lack of self-awareness rather than an attempt not to hide from his mistakes.

• Like 2

Here's the "upgraded" practice facilities the Cadets got for today - should be good for cleaning drill and adding more changes:

944274_10151831973906349_1446295311_n.jpg

• Like 1

Love the Anchorman reference.

He didn't use strong words, but the whole, "This is why we don't go to the deep South" stuff is pretty offensive, especially given that he's coming from New Jersey. He voiced a complaint without actually saying what the offense actually was, and instead of working it out behind the scenes and not burning bridges with the entire community he went ahead and dragged the rest of the South into this mess. I give him credit for not trying to cover it up afterwards, though I wonder if it's from lack of self-awareness rather than an attempt not to hide from his mistakes.

Make that Pennsylvania!!! :tongue:/>

His comments make it harder to secure housing and practice sites in the future. If he wants to address his thoughts about the negatives of touring the South, perhaps the week before a series of shows in the South is not the right time to start picking on particular schools. Not to mention, it's just unprofessional to blame any problems they've had on "the South" or particular schools.

He didn't say there was anything bad about the location, he said it didn't fit their needs. If people choose to from zero to outraged in seconds flat, that's their choice.

If he wanted to spell it out, a good leader would still take the responsibility on himself: "we failed to communicate our requirements properly and promptly to the host school and so although we were thrilled to have been invited to XYZ school and to be touring this wonderful part of the country for the first time in several years, we are looking for alternate accomodations this time around. We will do our best to make things work more smoothly when we return here on tour in the future!"

Instead, he blamed others, said he would probably avoid this branch of the tour in the future, and then instead of apologizing, he just re-iterated his blame of other people for his own organization's problems. Not a good image, and not a respectful way to handle the relationship with show sponsors or host schools.

Except he wasn't looking to say anything about the specific site other than it didn't meet their needs. He was saying the same thing about the south, that they often have trouble finding sites that fit their needs. He was commenting on why the Cadets don't come south as frequently (which people do ask of him, ie "Why don't Cadets come to XYZ region of the country more often"

That doesn't mean the south is wrong or broken, it means that the Cadets have trouble in the south finding sites that fit their needs.

Again, if someone is looking for a reason to be outraged, I suppose this is enough. But otherwise, it's a non-event.

• Like 1