Oh...I think we can all agree that the quality of the article is downright terrible. Of course if too many of us brought that up, we'd accused of trying to obfuscate the real CRIME here!

• Like 1

When he is truly genuine in his apology & actions, so will I be. His reputation precedes him, and even us genteel Southerners have been taught: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

I'm curious, what did he do to you personally make you hate him? Hate is a pretty strong word.

• Like 1

You can't have an honest discussion with someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

Fixed that for you.

I'm not sure what's not to get. It's not the stadium, it's not the facilities, it's that he went on FB and generally bashed the south and backed it up with isolated incidents that he's experienced in the past.

His issue is with DCI, not the school and not the south.

He should have called DCI and had THEM find other arrangements, then put his people on the phone making calls if he felt DCI wouldn't come through.

He should not have admonished The South on FB for being inferior no matter what his experience.

Not sure what else you'd want me to know in order to have and "honest" discussion.

Again, my problem is not with what Hop did - I get that he wants the best for his kids. It's the way he did it - again.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

It doesn't suck out west, but you can have bad experiences everywhere. A drum corps though isn't paying $5.00 for a meal at McDonalds, they're dropping hundreds or thousands of dollars for housing sites. I think it's reasonable to expect that it's a site your group can be happy with. The corps I was with had a pretty rough experience with a housing site in the South, (no AC, cockroaches in the TWO shower stalls, cramped gym) but I don't blame the whole south. Just a sucky housing site. But I wasn't paying for it. The corps hasn't gone back to that particular school since though.

Please feel free to stay at the local Hilton next time.

BTW, those are palmetto bugs, not roaches ;-) It's the South, DUH.

Edited by Gator Eagle

Will do, if my travels any take me through that region of the world. Drum corps staying at hotels.... that's an interesting concept. Probably not the right amount of rehearsal space. :tongue:

Pointless flame-bait...

• Like 2

Minor point, but dont corps PAY for the ability to stay at a school? In other words, they are actually customers of a sort...in that they are offered a certain package, which they then expect (rely on for success, really), to be delivered upon? Folks are making it out that he spit in the faces of those poor souls that were giving something to him for nothing.

I could be wrong, as I've never done the admin side of a DCI tour. And I realize that there is a certain about of trust that comes from the delicate situation of letting 200+ random folks crash at your school. However...a deal is a deal, as they say.

Quite wrong. The school paid DCI to host a show.

So the school bought a corps lineup and the school is actually the customer.

When you pay, you don't expect to be insulted as you're handed the receipt.

Yes they pay - a facilites fee and/or impact fee - set by the school system. Range anywhere from "tip the custodian" back in the old days to "hundreds of dollars" - thousands for large facilities/stadiums but drum corps tend to utilize their personal network of instructors and alumni to get the best facilities as cheaply as possible

You're not looking at this correctly.

That school system paid a contract fee I'd guess somewhere between $25,000 to $30,000 for a list of corps to show up and perform. In addition, the school doesn't charge the corps to stay there. The school contracts with DCI and must pay that bill before the show goes on. The school then deducts the cost of facilities from the profits made on the show, they don't hand the corps a bill.

I've been running a show for years. I don't get where the corps is the customer.

• Like 1

Quite wrong. The school paid DCI to host a show.

So the school bought a corps lineup and the school is actually the customer.

When you pay, you don't expect to be insulted as you're handed the receipt.

Well yes - that is true then in this case. Of course in this case, the school also stands to gain financially if the show does well, as i'm sure they at the very least get the concessions sales (if not more). Thats neither here nor there though...

However, standard procedure is for a corps to pay to stay at a school, yes? And we are obviously talking about a history of several such incidents.

You're not looking at this correctly.

That school system paid a contract fee I'd guess somewhere between $25,000 to $30,000 for a list of corps to show up and perform. In addition, the school doesn't charge the corps to stay there. The school contracts with DCI and must pay that bill before the show goes on. The school then deducts the cost of facilities from the profits made on the show, they don't hand the corps a bill.

I've been running a show for years. I don't get where the corps is the customer.

At shows, admittedly no. At most housing sites, yes.