Why cant SCV be in the mix with the top 3

I have been watching these show develop all season and I am asking the judging community why you wont put them in the 1 tenth mix of the top 3. I believe from a rep standpoint they have just as much if not more to offer then some blue units. It would be so nice to see the execution side of the caption determine the out come of a show instead of the the designer side, let the performers make the decision.

• Like 3

I love Vanguards show this year. Great drill & drums.

• Like 3

I have been watching these show develop all season and I am asking the judging community why you wont put them in the 1 tenth mix of the top 3. I believe from a rep standpoint they have just as much if not more to offer then some blue units. It would be so nice to see the execution side of the caption determine the out come of a show instead of the the designer side, let the performers make the decision.

They have as much/more to offer content wise than SOME blue units: Bluecoats, Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Blue Saints.

They definitely do not have as much/more to offer than Blue Devils. Or Cadets, or Crown. They are executing well, but this show (from what I've seen, which I'll admit is not a ton) does not really come that close to the depth of design than the current Top 3 have. Also, the current top 3 mostly out-perform Vanguard in everything but percussion consistently. I haven't seen any of the corps performances in over a week, but the depth, effect, and demand of Cadets, BD, and Crown kinda exceed SCV by a (relatively) significant amount.

On top of that, a corps achieving a more impressive book will outscore a corps achieving less impressive book all the time.

For me personally, while I'm a pessimist in "real life," I tent to look at drum corps as an optimist. Instead of being bummed that a favorite corps isn't contending for a medal, I see SCV this year as a kind of 'stepping stone' to get them into Top 3 in the very near future. A corps can kind of play it safe and achieve up to a certain point to "teach" members & staff what's needed to score well, and then once they achieve moderate success the corps can turn around and do a more challenging program with membership confident and with upper-level experience. While the film REALLY killed my love/interest of Les Mis (a musical I used to enjoy), I not only enjoy SCV's show for the most part, but I appreciate that they seemingly made an attempt to 'capitalize' on a current popular film as show material. I don't know if they're a fan friendly or not, but no one can say SCV isn't trying!

• Like 6

They have a great show and a smoking drumline no doubt. But are they in the mix with the top 3? Hmmmmm. No, not at this point. Close though. It will be interesting to see how much they improve in the final push.

It isn't the design that wins. Design and execution are intertwined and related like space-time. One is essentially meaningless without the other. Good design or repertoire is meaningless until executed. Execution is meaningless without something to execute. Perfect execution of 9 count tones is impressive. The same level of execution on double-tongued 16 notes is more impressive. But there is more to design then number of notes are the latest greatest trend. Good design allows the performers to use their ability to execute (perform) to achieve an ultimate effect. That could be getting people to throw babies or it could mean more points, or both. It is about achievement. Achievement comes through good performance ie execution. But the amount of of potential achievement is highly related to the quality of the design.

It's a great show. Love SCV this year. I would not count them out at this point. They need to clean the feet and their drill will sparkle, and they need to refine the musical phrases and shape things so that the impacts are even stronger and the beautiful moments are even more controlled.

Personally, I think they have great design.

• Like 2

They have as much/more to offer content wise than SOME blue units: Bluecoats, Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Blue Saints.

They definitely do not have as much/more to offer than Blue Devils. Or Cadets, or Crown. They are executing well, but this show (from what I've seen, which I'll admit is not a ton) does not really come that close to the depth of design than the current Top 3 have. Also, the current top 3 mostly out-perform Vanguard in everything but percussion consistently. I haven't seen any of the corps performances in over a week, but the depth, effect, and demand of Cadets, BD, and Crown kinda exceed SCV by a (relatively) significant amount.

On top of that, a corps achieving a more impressive book will outscore a corps achieving less impressive book all the time.

For me personally, while I'm a pessimist in "real life," I tent to look at drum corps as an optimist. Instead of being bummed that a favorite corps isn't contending for a medal, I see SCV this year as a kind of 'stepping stone' to get them into Top 3 in the very near future. A corps can kind of play it safe and achieve up to a certain point to "teach" members & staff what's needed to score well, and then once they achieve moderate success the corps can turn around and do a more challenging program with membership confident and with upper-level experience. While the film REALLY killed my love/interest of Les Mis (a musical I used to enjoy), I not only enjoy SCV's show for the most part, but I appreciate that they seemingly made an attempt to 'capitalize' on a current popular film as show material. I don't know if they're a fan friendly or not, but no one can say SCV isn't trying!

My thoughts as well. I abhorred the film with every ounce of my being, but this show has brought me back to just liking the music. I was, of many, one of those who played the music in (way back) high school so I always kind of look forward to Les Mis.

I would say most areas of their design is as complex as others - certainly their drill, guard and drums, maybe not their brass. Their problem is excellence and slotting.

• Like 2

I suspect it will be a crowd favorite, but it just isn't as demanding as the top 3. I have seen them all live. They are excellent this year and should be proud of their show and whatever score they get come August.

• Like 3

... It would be so nice to see the execution side of the caption determine the out come of a show instead of the the designer side, let the performers make the decision...

On the surface, that sounds good. But, remember that the execution is relative to how difficult the routine is. A corps can execute something flawlessly, but it must be balanced with the difficulty of the routine. What would stop a corps from playing easy clean music if the repertoire wasn't a large part of the scoring process?

• Like 2