Abuse Vs Teaching

The screaming and conniption fits and physical punishments can be excessive, silly, and (IMO) counterproductive, but rarely are they abusive. That's not to say drum corps cannot be abusive. There is a line and it is sometimes crossed. My two seasons of drum corps were spent in an especially toxic environment, with several staffers who could only be characterized as bullies or worse, though the guys teaching my particular section were all right. Motivating the kids wasn't in it at all. It was pure spitefulness and hatred . . . and yes, I know the difference. Fortunately the corps imploded the year after my last season (I ended my drum corps career at 19). Now my sister is marching in a corps that's contending for a championship, and while the staff does occasionally go OTT it's night and day compared to my experience.

So abuse does happen in drum corps. Fortunately it is rare, and the corps in which it occurs don't tend to endure. But for the kids who pour their money, time, blood, sweat, and tears into the endeavor it can be a hellish experience.

BITD we had a drill cleaner who walked the field with an interval stick. If your interval was off consistently, you could expect a wack with the stick. No blood was drawn, but that thing kept your eyes moving and interval issues were cleaned up pretty quickly. Everybody actually loved the guy!

Drum corps has made me a better adjusted and tougher person because of the way it works. Not to say I was a sheltered child that couldn't handle the outside world, but being able to take criticism and make adjustments were skills I learned in my three years of corps. Yes, there is a fine line that sometimes gets crossed, but it's not a constant thing.

As a vis tech once told all of us, "Toughen up Buttercup, you've got 75 days left of this. You can either be great, or we can drag you kicking and screaming. We'll leave the choice to all of you."

Also the fact that no one is forcing someone to march drum corps. It's a choice we all make because we know it will be difficult. No one signs up and pays the fees expecting lemonade and nap time every day. They accept that they will be worked hard, and come out better people at the end of it

• Like 2

Drum corps has made me a better adjusted and tougher person because of the way it works. Not to say I was a sheltered child that couldn't handle the outside world, but being able to take criticism and make adjustments were skills I learned in my three years of corps.

Have worked for Dept of Defense for 30+ years now and have had some upper management (civilian and military) that tried to "rule thru intimidation". All I have to do is think of getting verbal "challenged" by instructors or having a judge at my elbow during a show and... hey.... what can this clown at work do that could be worse.....

No, it wouldn't. Plenty of corps with dark colored uni's perform every summer in ridiculously hot conditions. It's 11 minutes of sweating, not a big deal, and no where near what is being discussed here.

I agree with luv4corps, and think that he's more politically correct than incorrect. The pendulum has begun to swing back, and there's nothing wrong with expecting more out of our kids than they ever thought possible.

You might want to check field temps for prelims in the Cotton Bowl mid afternoon prelims in 1971....just saying

are you bringing the Drum Corps Staff Quotes facebook page debate onto DCP?

BAHAHA front of the bus vs back of the bus AGAIN !!!

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Pain is the weakness leaving the body.

I had a staff member drop that one during the middle of a tracking block. It definitely helped take my mind off the pain. (As I imagined throttling them. )

You might want to check field temps for prelims in the Cotton Bowl mid afternoon prelims in 1971....just saying

We (Garfield) were waiting to go on that afternoon at the VFW Nats prelims in Dallas, and I happen to have overheard two of the stadium security guys talking, and one of them said it was 135 degrees on the field. That is back when we wore wool Cadet unis, of course.