Murfreesboro Mayhem

Congratulations. Here's a cookie :yin-yang:/>

Nom nom nom

Crown's in plenty difficult. They're playing some amazingly complicated stuff, doesn't have to be in 20 different keys. Those runs are harder than what most other lines are attempting, and it's really a small part of their show.

I never said I didn't like Crown's brass book and that it's not difficult, lol. I appreciate the Blue Devils for having a different kind of difficulty, sorry. They both have incredibly difficult shows.

Edited by HiddenMonster

Amen! I love the differences between the styles of each corps. If everyone had super emotional, tear-jerking shows every year they'd all lose their impact. I love BD for the fact that they are bringing new ideas to DCI.

Visually, I'm right there with you. Definitely doing things there that are pushing the envelope every year. Dig that.

Musically...eh, not so much. Their thing now is almost literally "Play Jazz Thing" and when it isn't (like this year) it's "Take Non-Jazz Thing: Make It A Jazz Thing".

I mean, it's fine, and sometimes its fun...but innovative might be too strong a word. But, again, visually, right on.

I don't know about you, but I didn't do drum corps to hear people clap for me. I did it because it was awesome to play amongst great players that wanted to excel.

I guess I wanna do it to inspire kids the way my first drum corps show did to me, to get them on their feet, and to be a part of something inspiring. Instilling that and getting people on their feet is what is driving me to do it. To each their own I guess...I don't care about how good the corps is that I do it in or if I get a medal. As long as I'm inspiring people and growing as a person in something that is greater than myself, that's all that I care about doing.

Edited by DrumManTx

Visually, I'm right there with you. Definitely doing things there that are pushing the envelope every year. Dig that.

Musically...eh, not so much. Their thing now is almost literally "Play Jazz Thing" and when it isn't (like this year) it's "Take Non-Jazz Thing: Make It A Jazz Thing".

I mean, it's fine, and sometimes its fun...but innovative might be too strong a word. But, again, visually, right on.

I find Drum Corps an interesting activity that I agree with you in pushing the envelope but not in the same categories. Visually is stimulating at time, but the Music is what makes a BD show to me.

Music is what makes every show to me, actually. I spent all of 2011 and 2012 having opinions of the 2011 season solely on audio tracks.

Edited by DrumcorpsmademeaTuba

I really liked what they did with the Apollo piece last year. They didn't really turn that jazzy, or the ballad last year too.

I feel you though about being innovative musically. It's really hard to push the activity musically, I think. I guess Crown is doing that with how many notes they can fit into a show, but it's hard to do much more than that. I like both corps styles of music though. Different flavors that both have their hits and misses.

Edited by HiddenMonster
  • Like 1

every corps has their own style. no one wants to see every corp playing the same way. if a corp has a style that is winning, why would they change it?

I'll tell you what I love...this is the first year in AGES that we've had THREE brass lines playing at this high a level. Usually it's just two. I love that.

I'd say since 2009, but i see your point. usually the Ott award is decided pretty early on, it's good to see so many good corps bouncing around in score at the top