Murfreesboro Mayhem

Somewhat accurate. Parisisan Bohemians disliked Parisian Aristocrats, and Parisian Aristocrats loathed the Parisian Bohemians at the time as well. It was, 1913 Paris afterall. While its true there was a tendency for the Bohemian elements to like the " new stuff ", and the Aristocrats the classical, traditional, it did not quite fall quite as nicely along those lines. Remember, the larget, most vocal criticisms of Stravinsky's " Rite of Spring " were his Aristocratic, well educated, tony schooled peers. While some of the Bohemian elements liked his " Rite of Spring ", most of the Parisian Bohemian element were, by far, into non classical compositions altogether, such as the brand new genre just coming out of the US called " jas bands " ( later in the 1920's Europe and US to be referred to as " Jazz " music ). Many Bohemians in Paris of 1913 were already moving totally away from the Classical Music genre altogether and looking for " new stuff " well beyond the Classical Music genre itself.

True. I could have elaborated my point a bit farther, but i didn't want to take an entire page up. :tongue: I think it was cool that Stravinsky even experimented with jazz in some of his works. It is strange how people's peers can be the harshest critics. Even though both schools of thought are now very respected in the music world, it was all controversial at the time. The war certainly didn't help that. Maybe next year BD will go all of the way off the deep end and do some Webern or Berg? Go way out there.

I paid more attention to the battery for Cadets tonight. I definitely got the "too many notes" vibe from their drum book. There's a lot of stuff that is technically impressive I suppose but just doesn't fit, to my ear.

BD's definitely getting a lot better tuning on the tough RoS chords. Whoever called their final note a "chord", though, was giving them too much credit. It's a unison, speaking of easy tuning...

Was there live - a few impressions.

To my ears, percussion sounds like a close battle, and one that has different winners from one viewing to the next. Tonight it was Vanguard's turn. Cadet snares did not have their best run. Crown battery has improved dramatically over the past six days, good for a close 4th in my estimation tonight.

A good night for hornlines. With Crown kicking once again and BD sounding particularly lively tonight, it was a six-way tie for who had the loudest horns.

Stadium now has tarps hanging on the railings, partially blocking view from the front 3-4 rows of the bleachers. Keep this in mind when selecting seats in the future.

Proposed: if the audience isn't entertained, the performer isn't excelling.

This just isn't true. When I first got in a drum corps, it had NOTHING to do with an audience except me. I liked what I heard, and I wanted to be a part of it.

Some might say that Jersey Surf, who doesn't score as well as others who are on the road much more, are VERY entertaining. Yet, in the judges eyes, their scores indicate they don't perform in a manner that indicates they are excelling. Don't get me wrong, I am HIGHLY entertained by Surf! Entertainment is different from person to person. What entertains you when you go to the movies might NOT entertain me. Some people are entertained by a baseball game .... some hockey fans think baseball is too slow.

In my take, most of these performers are excelling. If you don't like it, that's fine. But other people DO like what they do. And it STILL has nothing to do with hearing a brass section up close and saying THAT is what I want to do. I'm sure that most people need to have their ego stroked enough to hear that the masses enjoy what they're performing. But it's just not why I wanted to play in drum corps. Keep in mind that I aged out 30 years ago ..... This dinosaur just appreciates what ALL of these kids do .... PERIOD!

• Like 1

can someone explain to me why brass soloists have to be mic'ed or the low brass covered up by thunderous goo? Last I checked these hornlines can play so.....???

some are using mutes... but otherwise they're mic'd to create an effect. Thunderous goo? Well, we all know why that came to be... regardless if we like it or not.

And just as Cadets and Crown had gotten comfortable being competitive equals in the last week, here comes da Blue Devils to one-point them.

If performance order truly affects things (I'm dubious), it won't be any easier to guess the effect tonight. Cadets on very early, BD in the middle, Crown last.

Disappointed that Cadets couldn't maintain momentum in GE and marching scores, and the smaller gap they had achieved in guard scores lately. GH says some performance and communication flaws still need to be worked through, and Medea could have been performed better (some here noted flag phasing there, at least).

BD running the gamut on visual last night, something we're used to from them, except for the occasional off year. Consistency across captions gives them a great chance of gold.

Maybe Crown's new ending sat well with the effect judges, but drug down their visual a bit. Ouch, drums possibly below 6th this year...

People love to still call SCV a darkhorse for a medal -- they're going to have to show some movement in the scores or that'll remain a fantasy. It's nothing to be sad about -- some of their 4th and 5th place shows are among my favorites from them (2000 and 2001; 2002 for brass and drums; 2003 for drums and general kickbuttedness...).

It's such a competitive season. The top 3 groups right now are all champion caliber groups with SCV right there too. Whoever wins each night deserves a big congrats!

I'm kind of feeling it will be a different story every night. Re watching, all in the top 3 have a potential weakness.

Crown-percussion

Cadets-guard

BD-overall GE could become their weak area as the other two clean the feet. Crown took GE last night. Cadets have a high content score in Vis GE but was clobbered in performance caption so these are the areas where we can see changes with a few weeks remaining.

I won't make excuses when BD wins because I don't want people making excuses when the Cadets win soon.

Edited by newjerseycorpguy
  • Like 1