If BD Wins, We Riot!

doesnt matter how you want to break sheets down Jeff ...even BITD when it may have been more balanced Visual was always inherent in all captions which gives it alot of power....if one likes that or doesnt like that.

Even way back in the drum solos days, there were outstanding drum solos people went wild over...do you actually think that everyone was going wild just for the drum line...that would be a no....there was always ( in some great corps ) and incredible visual whether the corps or guard was going on behind it which MANY were responding tothat.

We are a visual medium , thats the plain and simple of it. We want to be visually stimulated otherwise we can sit in a semi circle and just play.

You are right about designers maxing sheets out BUT I ask you ..why wouldnt they? Would they be doing their jobs if they didnt. Staff are paid and some very well to do a job. NOW that can mean something different to each corps which is also fine. :smile:/>

ah but see I was talking GE in general, not just music to visual. I do know about the many cool things that happened behind drum solos...and most often you didn't need a playbill to get them :tongue:/>

The problem is shows are designed today that you HAVE to get it or you leave befuddled. I remember sitting in Allentown when SCV did the Devils Staircase show. I can't count how many people around me watched it, then said out loud "what the hell was that?"

shows are designed now that just absorbing the music or the visual doesn't work. every show has a theme and concept, which is announced before they start the show.....it's set up to force people to get it.

It doesn't have to be pop music or standards from the 40's. Many of the most beloved drum corps shows of all time featured music people didn't know, but the show was designed ina way musically and visually that it sucked people in. That doesn't happen now nearly like it used to

i also was on the same tour as SCV that year and saw many people love that show..it was jam packed with everything. So having people around you who didnt like it at a given show means what?. We all seem to always have ALOT of people around us to make our own likes or dislike lagit!

there are many shows you dont have to get if written correctly, I think some need to just sit and enjoy instead of always having to be the critic ready to re- write everything they see...JMO

Now are there some shows that just dont come across at all..YEs...and there always has been.

Some actually come across so well but not in a good way. I could mention who I think they are but might tic off a few people..lol :tongue:/>

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3

has it survived? How many corps were there in 1990, and how many today? How many shows ran then vs today. How many went to shows then vs. today?

it's still here...and yeah technically it's survived. What it hasn't done is thrived.

Then I guess what the corps were doing in 1990 were part of the problem then.

ah but see I was talking GE in general, not just music to visual. I do know about the many cool things that happened behind drum solos...and most often you didn't need a playbill to get them :tongue:/>/>

nor do you now with most if not all....just need to look

depends on what you call art...which will be different from the next person...............besides whats wrong with art..some say even the simplest of shows is still a form of art. producing a musical and visual presentation...hmmm sounds like a form of art to me...even in a simple form

if you like, I'll type in bigger letters.......

DCI is first and foremost a business. From the paying fans viewpoint, it's entertainment. Yes entertainment can wildly vary. But for 6 years now, there has been, with one corps in particular, but even with other corps, angst over what is considered entertaining. So for every successful artist out there, there are thousands of artists not making a dime.

so DCI, which is the corps, need to decide...are they art, or entertainment?

I can tell you which one will keep making money.

I prefer to think of the incident as a bunch of really drunk elitist Parisians bitter that Rite was so good, but was composed by a Russian.

I prefer to think of it as a bunch of drunk Parisians thinking about "les diables bleus" using the piece nearly a century in the future, and the flack they would take on "les internets". :tongue:/>

• Like 1

i also was on the same tour as SCV that year and aow many people love that show..it was jam packed with everything. So having people around you who didnt like it at a given show means what?. We all seem to always have ALOT of people around us to make our own likes or dislike lagit!

there are many shows you dont have to get if written correctly, I think some need to just sit and enjoy instead of always having to be the critic ready to re- write everything they see...JMO

Now are there some shows that just dont come across at all..YEs...and there always has been.

Some actually come across so well but not in a good way. I could mention who I think they are but might tic off a few people..lol :tongue:/>

no offense man, but that had to be their least popular show since the Nutcracker on acid

Then I guess what the corps were doing in 1990 were part of the problem then.

moreso now

if you like, I'll type in bigger letters.......

DCI is first and foremost a business. From the paying fans viewpoint, it's entertainment. Yes entertainment can wildly vary. But for 6 years now, there has been, with one corps in particular, but even with other corps, angst over what is considered entertaining. So for every successful artist out there, there are thousands of artists not making a dime.

so DCI, which is the corps, need to decide...are they art, or entertainment?

I can tell you which one will keep making money.

See how stupid I am? See here, all along, through observing my son grow and change, I thought the purpose of drum corps was to educate, promote the growth of its members and to encourage excellence. Just money making, huh? Okay.

• Like 1