If BD Wins, We Riot!

Sorry, but those two statements are mutually exclusive. Yes, you are a "hater" if you choose to boo a corps performance and placement.

Sorry, but I find that statement offensive to the victims of atrocities based on actual hate.

• Like 1

Perhaps we should wait until Blue Devils start their encore performance….those poles could come in handy on the windows of the mall

Think of the headlines, might make Drum Corps seem cooler...

ANGRY MARCHING BAND FANS TRASH DOWNTOWN INDY

Thousands of disgruntle Drum Corps fans formed a giant visual block while armed with 100 poles and marched in unisons in a wedged formation towards the downtown mall where they rhythmically bashed the mall windows in a coordinated, breathtaking, display of angst. Police Captain Wiggins exclaimed ‘ their looting was a thing of beauty…each looter had a clearly defined, individually written visual-looting responsibility that they preformed beautifully…I need to see the mall security camera tapes several times to really take in the full impact of the looters, there was so much to see, every where I looked there was something different going on and I’m sure I missed so much….it may have been a riot but it was also art’.

What a nut! And very funny!

:thumbup:/>

I do think there is a sizable group out there that does hate the Blue Devils organization. For any number of reasons, ie jealousy, G7 scheme, campers cut from camp, rivalries with other Corps, and so forth. I don't kid myself that there arn't people that hate the BD organization.

That said, imo, a much larger group of people simply dislike the BD 2013 show and its unrelated to anything beyond just what they are bringing to the field as a show. With this much larger group, my sense is that its no more complicated than that.

Then the boos need to come at the end of the performance or it is just plain disingenuous! It IS THE SHOW THEY ARE BOOING FOR PETE'S SAKE SO BOO THE SHOW... Oh right... that would be classless. It has also been pointed out, that BD mambers have some show input... So shouldn't those darned kids be bood?

If Madison can bring down the house with YNWA in 2013, I have no doubt BD can win the 2014 championship with thoroughly up-to-date arrangements of any of its monster hits. Or put some Trombone Shorty on the field. I'll burn a BD tattoo in my butt out of sheer gratitude.

I certainly hope that this happens! Please youtube the tatoo process!

So your assumption is that none of the booers also email their concerns to the show designers ? That they only do one or the other ? I have no idea if disgruntled show goers email only, don't email, walk away, boo, or boo and email, or amy number of potential combinations. How do you know that booers are not also contacting DCI and/ or Corps directly ? Just curious, thats all.

No BRASSO that is YOUR assumption, he said it was a better outlet for the frustration and that it was a positive way to get it out of their system. The suggestion is that NO ONE boos and that they engage in communicating the problem in a place where something can either be done, or at least the recipient is the correct recipient!

Growing up in SoCal, I was fortunate enough to play high school football at a national powerhouse program that was always ranked in the top ten nationally when i was there. Since we won all the time, naturally we was hated and we got everyone's best shot week in week out. That included the fans and student body of the opposing school. It was very common for the student body of the opposing school to somehow get our home phone number's (this was the early to mid 90's) call our houses and say things i will not repeat on this forum. Road games was insane lol. We had things said to us on road games that even the most hardcore comedian wouldn't repeat and say. Instead of feeling bad and getting down on our ourselves cause no one liked us outside our own fan base, we accepted and embraced the negativity that came our way. We used it as fuel for our motor to get us going for games. The more negativity you threw our way, the better we played. And when we was up 49-0 at halftime, we would tell the opposing team to thank their fans cause its only gonna get worse in the 2nd half. If people wanted to boo us and disrespect our parent's homes by calling our houses at all hours of the night, we was gonna give them a reason to boo us and we embraced it.

Point is if me and my former teammates could handle major negativity at the ages of 15, 16, and 17, then BD can handle it at the ages 19, 20, and 21.

I marched in the Blue Devils and we had a year that upset us in 1981 losing DCI by .35 with a 9th place drum line. The following year 1982 (A fan favorite) many of us fueled our efforts with the negative feelings we had from the previous season. I mention this because apperantly you are allowed to use this negative as a fuel in football. I took a beating and so has someone else on these boards because I guess when doing a show, people on these boards think your motivating factors are things that they should have an opinion on and control over. It was and is sick and sad!

I never for a moment believed otherwise either.

Thats why when we sometimes hear complaints to audiences of " oh.. think of the children in these Corps and how they must feel !! and blah blah, blah, it rings so hollow to me. If MM's don't know, or wern't told by staff, that the show will bring golf claps and yawns from most coast to coast audiences then shame on them. This attack on thousands of attendees at DCI shows these days is starting to get a bit lame and old now. People shouldn't be blaming audiences for bad show receptions if on the other hand they are praising audiences for the shows they seem to like. Plus, its not like the BD MM's arn't getting a trade off with so many disliking their shows. DCI judges like it, so why the angst with audiences... especially when you knew this was coming all along. Whats up with THAT ?

I am pretty sure that there is NO angst... It was however suggested that having your panties in a wad over placement or booing placement, scores, corps or even the kids is just plain childish/stupid behavior. I saw you were using professional sports analogies again... As soon as the kids get paid millions of dollars for their participation, your analogies will not be completely off base!

I was in Atlanta yesterday, and I will say that there was open hostility prior to Blue Devils' show. People were dismissing it before the corps was even on the field. I left before scores because I knew booing would happen, regardless of Blue Devils' placement. You can rationalize that you are booing the scores, and you can rationalize it by saying that the kids are adult enough to take it. However, if there was booing for Crown, I guarantee the same people who defend booing would make the opposing argument. Booing a corps for any reason is just classless. I agree with the sentiment of others here. Just don't clap. That gets the point across all the same, but it at least makes you seem classy.

I will just let this post speak for itself!

The fact that BD gets rewarded for this kind of show year after year is frustrating because these shows are not connecting with the audience in the way a championship show should do. Doesn't matter who the corps is, if they win with a show that most of the audience doesn't like, that's a bad thing for the fans and for the activity.

:rolleyes:/>/> BD's designers are no Stravinskys or Najinskys.

You are right, Stravinsky AND Najinsky were middle of the pack in their world in their time. The staff at BD is certainly not middle of the pack in their world!

Saying they don't deserve it is different than what they are actually saying while booing which is that they don't AGREE with the placement (regardless if its deserved)

Gotcha Charlie, so lets go ahead and get the rest of what the kids are supposed to glean out of the boos out right here, right now as well, so they (the kids) can just come here and refer to this post and see what the boos meant tonight!

Regardless if they were deserved...

Edited by Big Bad Bari
  • Like 2

ANGRY MARCHING BAND FANS TRASH DOWNTOWN INDY

Thousands of disgruntle Drum Corps fans formed a giant visual block while armed with 100 poles and marched in unisons in a wedged formation towards the downtown mall where they rhythmically bashed the mall windows in a coordinated, breathtaking, display of angst. Police Captain Wiggins exclaimed ‘ their looting was a thing of beauty…each looter had a clearly defined, individually written visual-looting responsibility that they preformed beautifully…I need to see the mall security camera tapes several times to really take in the full impact of the looters, there was so much to see, every where I looked there was something different going on and I’m sure I missed so much….it may have been a riot but it was also art’.

Okay, THAT was funny.

You are right, Stravinsky AND Najinsky were middle of the pack in their world in their time. The staff at BD is certainly not middle of the pack in their world!

Ha! I grant that in their much smaller, less relevant, and rapidly shrinking world, they have had the most competitive success. :thumbup:

Ha! I grant that in their much smaller, less relevant, and rapidly shrinking world, they have had the most competitive success. :thumbup:/>

Because drum corps was only really relevant when you marched, and because few corps mean a diluted talent pool of the best performers. Wait. That's just the opposite, isn't it?

No, you don't get to move the goalposts now to suit your argument. Drum corps were disappearing from the planet long before 1990, so if you're going to cite what you call lack of accessibility of shows to the number of corps dwindling, then you better be prepared to use that same argument for ALL the years after that peak number of corps started declining.

the outcry of inacessible shows really didn't take off until the 90s when wind ensemble literature started beocming more and more prevalent, as well as visual started to dominate the activity. yes youhad some of it before, but not at the levels seen 20 years ago and continuing.

Look, I like a lot of the stuff I see now. But I'm more vested in the activity than many people sitting in the stands. Remember, DCI is targeting kids before us old ####ers.....and when you hear kids making fun of what they see and hear, then youhave issues.

c'mon guys, enough already, some of the rants here are beyond stupidity.

No.... I'm Spartacus. :ph34r: