If BD Wins, We Riot!

Booing allows a person to remain anonymous and spew mindless vitriol at the BD, as opposed to actually meeting face to face with DG and discussing the BD show with him like a real adult.

Got it.

I was just saying the idea of booing to Gibbs' face makes as little sense as trying to explain in detail your dissatisfaction with the show and the judging process from the stands during the score announcement. An audience in the stands has but a few options for making their opinions known in that moment. Meeting with Dave Gibbs is not one of those options.

Edited by skywhopper

moreso now

No, you don't get to move the goalposts now to suit your argument. Drum corps were disappearing from the planet long before 1990, so if you're going to cite what you call lack of accessibility of shows to the number of corps dwindling, then you better be prepared to use that same argument for ALL the years after that peak number of corps started declining.

• Like 1

See how stupid I am? See here, all along, through observing my son grow and change, I thought the purpose of drum corps was to educate, promote the growth of its members and to encourage excellence. Just money making, huh? Okay.

part of it as is you say yes. on the kids side.

but imagine how much he'd have to pay if the entertainment side dropped even more and more fans stopped coming around

if you like, I'll type in bigger letters.......

DCI is first and foremost a business. From the paying fans viewpoint, it's entertainment. Yes entertainment can wildly vary. But for 6 years now, there has been, with one corps in particular, but even with other corps, angst over what is considered entertaining. So for every successful artist out there, there are thousands of artists not making a dime.

so DCI, which is the corps, need to decide...are they art, or entertainment?

I can tell you which one will keep making money.

thats FINE BUT, you are insisting that what you or any individual knows what the masses considers entertaining..I can guarentee you it wont be the same as the next person. as another peopn also posted....if you dont care for 1 corps so go watch another

the problem with DCI moving forward is also...thinking that show design is why people arent coming...sure with some, especially those who dont like the direction YES BUT its far bigger than that. Many left back in EVERY DECADE because of direction. Drum corps is alot differnt now as far as support because of many things including a differnt world it serves or doesnt.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

wrong. an excellent argument for my favorite Cesario line of all time.....shows with faux intelligencia built into them. Shows trying to be deep for the sake of being deep, that in the end confuse people.

I've been to the symphony many times. I know they put in the stuff about why the composer wrote it and what inspired him.....but many people just don't give a ####. They don't have the time. A ton of reasons. It's not just shallowness or ignorance.

but your response is the kind of elitism that is hurting drum corps.

I marched with Northern Aurora in 1994 and we played Hindemith's Symphonic Metamorphosis and the title of the show was "A Changed Bauhaus." The music was decent enough on it's own but what business did a middle of the pack Div 2 corps have trying to pull off a theme like that? In fact I'm not even sure it was ever explained to us, so who knows what lip service was being told to the judges.

Would have been more successful having a giant cockroach running around the field if you ask me.

While lots of great art in history was indeed hated at first, the vast majority of things that were hated were actually terrible after all, and have been forgotten. Point being that the fact that a lot of people dislike something is not evidence of its greatness.

Nor is the fact that a lot of people love something evidence of its greatness.

121012_Justin_Bieber_2.jpg

• Like 6

See how stupid I am? See here, all along, through observing my son grow and change, I thought the purpose of drum corps was to educate, promote the growth of its members and to encourage excellence. Just money making, huh? Okay.

The "purpose" of corps to members is much different than the purpose of DCI to the fans. Your son (and me, and many others) could have grown and be excellent without ever performing in front of a paying crowd. It's not "big brother" where we are paying to get a glimpse into their educational experience from behind a two way mirror - they are mastering a show to compete at the highest levels for paying fans that want to be entertained. So yes, DCI's purpose is to sell the activity to make money to help out in funding your son's life-changing benefits as a member.

Why do the Girl Scouts sell cookies? Do they sell cookies that a large portion of the public doesn't like (and therefore wouldn't sell well)? They may try a new flavor here and there, but they need to consider its popularity and how much it sells.

• Like 1

Granny Smith for president!!! Or queen!!! Or whatever she wants!!! :thumbup:/>/>

I completely agree with Granny. These organizations, the leaders of those organizations, and the kids who are performing in the corps represent the highest level possible in the marching activity. They're professionals. They should be prepared for boos and cheers depending on what they put out on the field. They are, after all, artists and professionals. By saying "they're just kids", you are undermining their talent and skill. Kids have to learn that there are winners and losers. They also have to learn people will like them, or they won't. That's the reality of life!

This should be distinguished though from WHOM we are booing. It is my feeling that when people boo because of the scores, they're booing the judges for having a perception vastly different from those watching the show-- not the corp who usurped the crowd's expectations. We are also booing DCI for installing and maintaining these judges and permitting their judging sheets the leeway to allow for the discrepancy in judging and crowd expectation.

So I propose that the real problem is one of perception and back bone. The Judges feel differently than the majority of DCI fans about what makes an impressive show, but the judges get the final say. This is unjust because we feel that the better shows (in our majority consensus)should be rewarded because that will encourage all corps to strive to become what we as a majority really want (shows like SCV and Crown and Cadets and PR etc..)that level of achievement we desire in our first place corps. Conversely, we oppose sending the message to all corps that we will reward abstract and unattractive shows with higher placement. After all, we don't want more corps doing this "crap".

Some will say that they rest outside of the majority, and will find the way I've characterized the Blue Devils offensive. I don't care. This has nothing to do with me, and everything to do with why we have this conflict.

The answer is simple. If DCI wants to change the way the activity is viewed; and wants to make sure all corps don't start moving to this abstract form as part of a desire to win on the judges sheets, DCI needs to make a change. They should completely replace the judging panel and install a new one. Or, recreate the judging sheet to further regard emotional GE and crowd response without compromising quality of performance in any way.

Edited by ChrisVT2003
  • Like 1

no offense man, but that had to be their least popular show since the Nutcracker on acid

:sad:/> Wow. I LOVED The Devil's Staircase. Super cool show. Made me love Ligeti.

Edited by POSITIVenrgy
  • Like 2

It has to make money to continue the other purposes. 150 or so fewer kids are being served this year without Glassmen on the field. Why are they out? Money.

• Like 1