If BD Wins, We Riot!

Did someone say mashups?

Entrance to the Slave Market from (The Robe)

Serenata

Americans We

I've Got You Under my Skin (from Night and Day)

Conquest (from Captain From Castile)

Patricia

Song of Songs

Bloody Mary (from South Pacific)

Bali Hai (from South Pacific)

If I Could Tell You

Des Plaines Vanguard, 1960. All in 13 minutes.

The days of the drum-corps mashup are long behind us.

I've never heard that show, but if those were just individual songs (or parts of them) in a row, that's not what I am thinking when I hear people say mashup.. I'm thinking of multiple songs woven (or more often than not, forced) together into a single new piece.

This is what I believe that SCV is trying to do; they're the anti-BD. Well as much as they can be and still be "successful" in competition. I mean, they still have props this year and they're using synth, but that's the one show that is the furthest away from BD's style as can be this year, and I believe that it is intentional. I believe that SCV is trying to respond.

Well, yeah, but SCV has been drastically changing it up every year for the last 5-ish, I think. "Les Mis" is a crowd pleaser, but "Bartok!" wasn't, at least not really. "A Ballet for Martha" was familiar and extremely entertaining, but "Devil's Staircase" was a lot more obscure and kind of difficult. And this is just to mention shows they've done circa BD's recent dominant streak. Many SCV shows from even before that have been atypical, even downright strange -- remember "Not the Nutcracker"?

So they might be responding to BD in a way. Maybe they're backtracking from their recent weird phase a la the Cadets. But history suggests that SCV doesn't respond to other corps' design trends so directly. They've always found their own way to keep things interesting.

Edited by saxfreq1128

Of course not....that's the point...I don't care what they do, It'll get it a hearing and I'll love it or just like it. Same with all other corps. I don't understand being angry at a corps for not doing what you loved them for years before. They're not doing it, they're doing something else, but they're doing the #### out of it. Let it go. I do have one question: Would you still say the things about BD's designs if they were placing 5th or 6th? Honestly?

For me, yes, I would. And I'd use their 4th or 5th placement as vindication that my view is correct.

...yet the overall form and feel of Crown's show this year is very BD-ish and copies the feel of BD's show last year in quite a few ways...

For me, the form of Crown's show and the pairing of seemingly random and unrelated music feels very BD. Also, the musical mashup of EotB with Abyss, is very BD. Pretty much the whole show has bits and piece of BD design sprinkled through out the show.

Thanks for giving specifics on how you see the two shows differing, as it helps me understand why someone would say that they're so different. You seem to have focus on the visual aspects, and I noticed the musical and pacing similarities...

I fully agree with Sky, and I focus on the music and pacing, too. Crown's show is NOTHING like any BD show I think I've ever heard. Not even a good comparison they are so different.

IMO

Funny you mention PROPS.

Seems like everyone and their mother has props this year, which is a pretty new thing, that BD made popular in Drum Corps...

I just see the activity become more and more homogenized to match design elements from the "winner"

Used to be we were complaining about chop-n-bop, now it's the mashup/montage, which BD started.

Crown, Cadets, Bluecoats, Madison, Cavaliers, Boston, Blue Knights, and a bunch of other corps are doing some form of it...

What props does Crown use beside a park bench?

Right. None. The "props" they use they create with marching members, drill design, and programming.

If they have props in their show, they use them so well I don't even see them.

Once again, Plan, I applaud your willingness to run the gauntlet and bear the onslaught. But I still disagree that my disliking BD's show represents me harboring ABBD syndrome.

I don't hate them for it. I hate that the sheets are written in such a way that rewards the very well executed show design that BD produces.

It's not their fault, it's the sheets' fault.

IMO

Of course not....that's the point...I don't care what they do, It'll get it a hearing and I'll love it or just like it. Same with all other corps. I don't understand being angry at a corps for not doing what you loved them for years before. They're not doing it, they're doing something else, but they're doing the #### out of it. Let it go. I do have one question: Would you still say the things about BD's designs if they were placing 5th or 6th? Honestly?

Why do you insist on characterizing people as angry or as extremists of some sort that lie awake at night plotting of how they can dethrone your champions? Of all the people on here you are the most sectarian. If someone doesn't praise your beloved Blue Devils then you tack on your labels. I'm not an enemy or a fangirl of any particular corps.

• Like 2

Same logic applies to Crown losing, though.

Right?

Yes. It applies.

• Like 1

I've never heard that show, but if those were just individual songs (or parts of them) in a row, that's not what I am thinking when I hear people say mashup.. I'm thinking of multiple songs woven (or more often than not, forced) together into a single new piece.

That's my thoughts as well. I doubt the old show mashed things together like "Pitch Perfect" or many of today's current drum corps shows... music.gif