If BD Wins, We Riot!

Not so sure about this. Surely you have witnessed the fangirling and general slobbering over Phantom on the Twitternets.

As has been observed by many on DCP over the eons: It's not the music. It's what you do with the music. This year, BD is playing stuff that was written a century ago. Madison is playing one of its old standbys, a 1945 show tune, unleashing a torrent of squeals and progesterone from the stands.

actually I do not use twitter and probably won't unless work demands it.

and yes, what you do with the music is HUGE.

Pet Peeve: Insincere people who pop onto a thread and say stuff like, "Really!? This thread is still going on?" or, "What! 70 pages of the same ole' stuff." I liken it to that itch I sometimes get in the nether regions when I'm in public. It's nothing major and for the most part I try to ignore it, but after awhile I just want to throw something and say a few curse words.

Suggestion: Just stay away. You're obviously interested or else you wouldn't ride in on your mighty steed trying to belittle the rest of us.

I'm with you on this one, Granny! Besides, anyone commenting about "70 pages" of this stuff doesn't even know how to customize the # of post shown per page (I show only 19 pages). What a bunch of noobs. I bet even Granny has adjusted the # of posts per page...and she is a DINOSAUR!!

Heh,

What props do they use BESIDES the park bench?

Well none! tongue.gif

It only takes 1 prop for there to be a prop in the show, which supports my assertion.

Now if you're just going to give me a hard time of the use of "Prop" versus "Props"... bleah.gif

Ha Ha!!! At least the Blue Devils commit with 100 poles. I don't see 100 park benches!

• Like 1

but no, corps aren't being influenced by BD

:rolleyes:style="font-size: 9pt;">/>

Hey, that's what I've been told by several people here today on DCP...

I must be making things up or seeing things.

Ha Ha!!! At least the Blue Devils commit with 100 poles. I don't see 100 park benches!

Haha! ...and Phantom thought they'd one up the champs with THEIR "phancy" poles... NOPE! tongue.gif

Cadets on the other hand....using props to divide the field, set different stages, as a vehicle for equipment and mobile color changes? Much more BD like....and perhaps a bit clumsy from what I've heard so far. But clearly...not all prop use is equal, and it cant be categorized as such to denote trends...

I actually like how Cadets use the colors on their towers. It is very effective during parts of their show.

• Like 1

Get used to the props, and all the Blue Devil-type inclusions. This thing will end up as a large scale, indoor arena act. All of this is a precursor.

In my mind . . . good stuff. That will work!

In some ways, I agree. The shows are becoming much more integrated between music and visual...as it SHOULD be. No one aspect should be more important than the other. The corps that can blend these two together seamlessly SHOULD be winning (and are).

I won't riot. I will never boo a show. I will never do that, because I consider it offensive, and in bad taste.

However.....

I have stopped caring. I really have. I used to care deeply about this activity, enough to make real sacrifices for it. But now I am completely disaffected. BD can win the next 20 titles, with the chairs and poles and mirrors and other props. I really do not care.

For me, the final straw was the G8 debacle three years ago. I saw it for what it was - a naked grab for power, which would badly damage this activity. And what I predicted to happen has happen: the ranks of touring corps, and participants, have continued to shrink. The richer get richer, the poorer get poorer, and there is basically nothing we can do about it. (Now DCI is trying to salvage the activity with this "drumline battle" program, but I am highly skeptical. It really seems like too little, too late.)

So I will not "riot". I have never participated in a riot - or for that matter, any type of organized public protest. But I will not show up to shows. I will not scratch a donation check, or buy souvenir. I sure am not going to pay good money to see a show inside a dome stadium. They can pretty much write me off, because I am now completely indifferent.

You can call me cynical - but honestly, at this point, it doesn't matter. Until there is really something to bring me back to this activity, you can count me out.

Just WHERE will there be enough "fans" to riot ?

How many people does it take to become a "riot" ?

Several hundred people #####ing on DCP is not a riot.

How many sock puppets would it take to be a riot ?

For me, the final straw was the G8 debacle three years ago. I saw it for what it was - a naked grab for power, which would badly damage this activity. And what I predicted to happen has happen: the ranks of touring corps, and participants, have continued to shrink. The richer get richer, the poorer get poorer, and there is basically nothing we can do about it. (Now DCI is trying to salvage the activity with this "drumline battle" program, but I am highly skeptical. It really seems like too little, too late.)

Really? The number of corps was shrinking well before the G7 ever existed.

• Like 1