If BD Wins, We Riot!

Once again, Plan, I applaud your willingness to run the gauntlet and bear the onslaught. But I still disagree that my disliking BD's show represents me harboring ABBD syndrome.

I don't hate them for it. I hate that the sheets are written in such a way that rewards the very well executed show design that BD produces.

It's not their fault, it's the sheets' fault.

IMO

doesn't matter how the sheets are written a good staff who wants success ( in numberss anyway ) will write to those sheets. So I suspect BD or any of the top corps would be just were they are. No change...

Well, yeah, but SCV has been drastically changing it up every year for the last 5-ish, I think. "Les Mis" is a crowd pleaser, but "Bartok!" wasn't, at least not really. "A Ballet for Martha" was familiar and extremely entertaining, but "Devil's Staircase" was a lot more obscure and kind of difficult. And this is just to mention shows they've done circa BD's recent dominant streak. Many SCV shows from even before that have been atypical, even downright strange -- remember "Not the Nutcracker"?

So they might be responding to BD in a way. Maybe they're backtracking from their recent weird phase a la the Cadets. But history suggests that SCV doesn't respond to other corps' design trends so directly. They've always found their own way to keep things interesting.

I'm thinking more of what a Jeff Fiedler led SCV is doing as of late to try and get to the top more than historically speaking.

I think they've been trying to change things up to both build the corps and figure out what will be rewarded by the judges.

What props does Crown use beside a park bench?

Right. None. The "props" they use they create with marching members, drill design, and programming.

If they have props in their show, they use them so well I don't even see them.

Heh,

What props do they use BESIDES the park bench?

Well none! tongue.gif

It only takes 1 prop for there to be a prop in the show, which supports my assertion.

Now if you're just going to give me a hard time of the use of "Prop" versus "Props"... bleah.gif

Okay, so I just came from dinner and they served meatloaf. I HATE the meatloaf here. It gives me the runs and so I don't eat it, which means I'm hungry and when I'm hungry I get very cranky. And when I'm cranky I get heartburn and when I get heartburn I say sharp stuff on DCP. So forgive me for anything else I say tonight, but...

Pet Peeve: Insincere people who pop onto a thread and say stuff like, "Really!? This thread is still going on?" or, "What! 70 pages of the same ole' stuff." I liken it to that itch I sometimes get in the nether regions when I'm in public. It's nothing major and for the most part I try to ignore it, but after awhile I just want to throw something and say a few curse words.

Suggestion: Just stay away. You're obviously interested or else you wouldn't ride in on your mighty steed trying to belittle the rest of us.

• Like 2

I'm thinking more of what a Jeff Fiedler led SCV is doing as of late to try and get to the top more than historically speaking.

I think they've been trying to change things up to both build the corps and figure out what will be rewarded by the judges.

if SCV wasnt real good at what they were doing ( no matter how well a respose from and audience was ) Le Mis' wouldnt be succeeding at all.

You can have whatever show , obsure, traditional, etc etc, You just better be good at it.

Edited by GUARDLING

I would quibble a bit. I don't hold any malicious feelings towards a particular corps or its members. My contention is with the actual show, and to a larger degree the pattern that the Blue Devils have set over the past several years. Drum Corps is entertainment for me and I am perfectly justified in giving any given show a thumbs up or thumbs down. You give BD's show a thumbs up and I give it a thumbs down.

I have not only written on this forum but have also engaged in an email exchange with D. Gibbs about my thoughts. I have let him know that I think they have failed in the second part of their own mission, which is:

"To provide enjoyment for our local community and audiences worldwide."

By the way...even DCP is entertainment for me. I do struggle with dementia but not to the point that I delude myself into believing that I'm changing the world. I wake up, take my medications, eat a grapefruit, take some more meds and open DCP to see what others are saying. I like a good debate and find it helps me stay lucid and engaged in an activity that most people in the world don't know exists.

Oh, Granny...don't you know that grapefruit is not a good mix when you are on most medications. I do find you entertaining with heavy dose of truth.

I fully agree with Sky, and I focus on the music and pacing, too. Crown's show is NOTHING like any BD show I think I've ever heard. Not even a good comparison they are so different.

IMO

One of the things that I think make the two corps more similar in design is the pacing of the show compared to last year and the counting this year for Crown ( also the love speech) is similar in effect and feel to the background Dada stuff for BD last year.

I like to hear your thoughts about it too though!

Heh,

What props do they use BESIDES the park bench?

Well none! tongue.gif

It only takes 1 prop for there to be a prop in the show, which supports my assertion.

Now if you're just going to give me a hard time of the use of "Prop" versus "Props"... bleah.gif

LOL. Well, touche.

But I think it's apt to make relative comparisons of prop use to make both of our points.

Like, BD, or SCV, or 'Coats, or Blue Knights vs. Crown, and I think Crown wins.

:blow:/>

if SCV wasnt real good at what they were doing ( no matter how well a respose from and audience was ) Le Mis' wouldnt be succeeding at all.

You can have whatever show , obsure, traditional, etc etc, You just better be good at it.

...and it ALSO must have the require compulsory things in it that will get you higher scores from the judges. Maybe a prop? Maybe some squats while playing?

One of the things that I think make the two corps more similar in design is the pacing of the show compared to last year and the counting this year for Crown ( also the love speech) is similar in effect and feel to the background Dada stuff for BD last year.

I like to hear your thoughts about it too though!

well the wouldnt marching, corps with flags or drums in a straight line, a pit or even a shako...make 2 or more corps similar? :blink: