What's the point of a competition if there's not a full panel?

Just curious as I was catching up on scores for tonight - what's the point of scoring an event if there isn't a full panel of judges? The outcome is fairly meaningless so why bother?

Or else why not eliminate that part of the score completely for that night? Instead of the range being up to 100, now it's only up to 90 for this show.. ALL scores would be lower with the removal of "X" # of points (I don't know how much percussion is worth). I know a bunch of people would get upset if the score was all of a sudden in the low 80's (even though everyone else's would be) but a single show's scores are really just relative to that night.

Doubling another caption seems a bad idea. What if there was no other music judge one night and only the percussion guy. Crown could end up in 4th or 5th if they double the percussion score, no?

Edit: Before I get accused of anything, this is NOT about Crown or BD or even the show (I didn't see the show), I just saw the scores and that there was no percussion judge and knew that greatly gave an advantage to 1 corps over the other.

Edited by frachel
  • Like 6

If you removed the percussion score tonight... it wouldn't have mattered.

At all.

So what is your point?

• Like 5

The only scores that really matter are TOC shows for the TOC champion, the regionals for prelims placement, and prelims, semis, and finals.

Why even have score any other days? The scores mean nothing. Have judges record their thoughts and give them to the corps. But the scores are meaningless.

The answer is because its fun to have scores at every show. Except the show in oregon that is exhibition only.

But if the percussion were judged, as it should be, it probably would have mattered a great deal.

The point is why bother judging if you're not judging everything. It makes the scores and the outcome meaningless.

But if the percussion were judged, as it should be, it probably would have mattered a great deal.

The point is why bother judging if you're not judging everything. It makes the scores and the outcome meaningless.

FOUL on the Post for using common sense a) in speaking of DCI b) posting to DCP

• Like 3

It would not have mattered at all unless BD would have been 1.6 points up on Crown (divide it in half to get the total points). And they haven't come close to that all year.

SO, the results would still have been the same unless some wacked out percussion judge decided to do something that nobody else has done this year.

Crown is pulling together in many other areas, especially Music GE where they are something ridiculous like 16-1 against BD and have had numerous gaps of a half point or more.

• Like 6

The situation may not be ideal, but in this case it made no difference. Crown would have won regardless.

• Like 1

Yes. By all means, tell the other 7 judges that they flew/drove all the way out there for nothing. No judging tonight, because one of your peers is absent.

And if there is no judging, then maybe we should not bother with the show. Leave the stadium gates locked, and refund the ticket money. Just have lot warmups instead, for four hours.

Or why bother with a tour if one of the shows is missing?

(And why bother with the scores even if all 8 judges were there? Finals has a double GE panel - who cares about single GE judge shows?)

• Like 6

Simplest reason. This isn't pee-wee soccer. I know it's cool and all to just call everyone a winner, and pass out trophies and juice boxes afterwards because everyone is just so great. This is a competition though, and that's what drives a whole lot of us. We all strive to be the best possible, and part of that is seeing what the folks in green shirts say. That's not the end-all be-all about the DCI experience, but it's a part of it. Every night is a competition, and the best unit should win. If we're going to stop judging, then this all just becomes an exhibition, and then what's the drive to constantly improve and be the best?

Side note: Even if there was a percussion judge tonight, BD would not have won. Crown was .8 down in percussion 2 days ago, and have been slowly improving and closing the gap. I highly doubt BD would have doubled that spread in 2 days in order to even tie with Crown with tonight.

• Like 2

Just curious as I was catching up on scores for tonight - what's the point of scoring an event if there isn't a full panel of judges? The outcome is fairly meaningless so why bother?

Or else why not eliminate that part of the score completely for that night? Instead of the range being up to 100, now it's only up to 90 for this show.. ALL scores would be lower with the removal of "X" # of points (I don't know how much percussion is worth). I know a bunch of people would get upset if the score was all of a sudden in the low 80's (even though everyone else's would be) but a single show's scores are really just relative to that night.

Doubling another caption seems a bad idea. What if there was no other music judge one night and only the percussion guy. Crown could end up in 4th or 5th if they double the percussion score, no?

Edit: Before I get accused of anything, this is NOT about Crown or BD or even the show (I didn't see the show), I just saw the scores and that there was no percussion judge and knew that greatly gave an advantage to 1 corps over the other.

If people disagree with the OP please give it a red minus because, according to the OP, what is the point if it isn't judged?

• Like 3