Allentown 2013

Just got in from a great. iChat of drum corps, though I was somewhat surprised by some results.

Pioneer: has a show that suits them well, but not as Celtic as in the past. I thought the show was cleaner than last year's show. Great effort.

Cascades: their small size is hurting them though I will have to say I'm impressed by their effort.

Oregon crusaders: had equipment issues which may have given them a bit of an off night. This is also their first year in WC, which is a whole different world for them.

Jersey Surf:I was both impressed and entertained. The how is cleaner and they had a good impact this evening.The crowd loved "Aretha"

Pacific Crest:the first show to fill the stadium with sound, audience hit.

Crossmen demonstrated they have very intention of being a finalist again. Saw it last Thursday evening and could see significant improvement.

Blue knights what a difference a year makes! The show is easier to follow and they have a good guard and horn line.

Madison was robbed a bit tonight, should have been no lower than 4th. Second only to Crown for audience support.

Cavaliers I am not sure how Cavies passed Madison or BAC. The uniform change is too visible and not very clean. Same could be said when flags are tossed at marching members. It looks somewhat sloppy.

BAC: easily their best show this year.I expected 4th, perhaps 3rd.

Crown: great how, i did notice a few s all few few small errors. Crown's show really draws the audience into their show. I thought it was their night but judges didn't.

Bd I liked "rewrite of Spring" better than expected, crowd response poor.

Just some thoughts, now it's off to bed

• Like 2

Agreed....Phantom Regiment was the crowd favorite that year, but I think most people were hoping they could jump Cavaliers into 2nd place. Cadets had it on lock.

Cadets were my favorite corps in 2005. Well deserved win

That 2005 Cadets show ( and Corps ) was right up there as one of the best ever, imo. Phantom Regiment hardly ever disappoints me from an entertainment perspective..... and 2005 was no exception for me that year either.

Crown is going to put their intruments down, gather in locked arms at the pit and sing a bit of Queen's " We are the Champions ! "

A month ago, I would've agreed with you.

• Like 1

If you don't want to read about Crown's new ending stop reading here!

I don't know exactly how new it is but it definitely wasn't in the show in Atlanta.

They've added two more large circular objects to the field (with the same thematic E=mc^2 writing that you see on the drums, etc.) that are big enough to fit people inside. In the old ending the character who played the male lover ran across the field to the woman. Now he goes into one of the circles on the left side of the field and then simultaneously comes out of one on the right side of the field, as if traveling through some kind of worm hole. Ironically very similar to what BD did with mirrors in 2010.

Honestly it looked like it still needed a bit of work but could be pretty cool by finals. The trick was a little too obvious and it looked like they had a little trouble with the flaps so you could clearly see what was about to happen. I think it would have worked better if the circles were turned either so he entered from either the left or behind but it was clear they wanted to try and make it look like he was exiting at the exact same time as he was entering but the illusion wasn't quite there for me.

Proud of Oregon Crusaders. Inspite of a penalty of .5 they gave it all they had and still scored above Academy and Mandarins. Way to go OC. Solid 17th place and more growth to come. An absolutely awesome first year in WC.

I think it has just as much to do with writing as it does performance.

Exactly! The content hurts them big time.

On the flip side, imagine the incredible pressure on Crown's percussion section: to have the feeling that you are the primary reason Crown is not winning DCI right now would have to be unbearable. To go into DCI Finals week with the perception that if the percussion section cleans up they could win DCI, but if not you will certainly lose? Wow

This is THE post for the entire season.

I just can't imagine what those Crown drummers are going through. Or Thom for that matter.

Group think has an influence ....and this is an activity judged by humans. Audience reception can inflate a performance or deflate it. I agree that BD is too professional to not give 100%, but "home field advantage" is a scientifically proven phenomenon. Crown is not the "home team" but the crowd will be on their side.

I think without a doubt the crowds played major role in Phantom's rise in 08. I've never heard anything quite like it. I don't think Crown will receive that sort of applause, but you never know what will affect their performance or the judges perception of their performance.

And doesn't that dovetail nicely into Cesario's admonition of the designers a couple years back?

Not to mention Hop's epiphany a year or so before. "Isn't it better for the kids to hear the roar of the crowd?" or some such.

• Like 2

Color Guard Overall

19.3 96/97 Crown

19.2 97/95 Blue Devils

19.0 95/95 SCV

18.5 92/93 Cadets

18.1 91/90 Cavaliers

17.9 90/89 Phantom

17.6 89/87 Boston

17.4 88/86 Blue Knights

17.3 87/86 Bluecoats

17.0 85/85 Madison